Carlbkk1

What brands could you NOT live with based on looks?

Call me superficial, but I can’t buy a component which is not pleasing to my eye, even if its performance is outstanding. It’s a 50/50 for me.  

as the market is pretty much full of great gear at different price points, if a component I love the sound of is ugly I’ll keep looking around at another which provides me with more owner satisfaction.  I wouldn’t live with a wife who is wonderfully proficient at washing dishes and ironing but looks like the back end of a bus. I’d wait for another to come along who had both qualities.

what superb-sounding components or brands couldn’t possibly be out on display in your abode?

here’s my list:

McIntosh:  analogue meters let down by brash looks, oversized logo, shiny black and green facias. Looks retro but cheap.

Audio Research: way too industrial and retro looking for me, with the exception of their new reference series.

MBL:  their smaller items are ok but looks at these monobloc monstrosities. German, but with logos so oversized that even the Americans would blink in disbelief.

adcom : totally boring black boxes

Cyrus: more totally boring black boxes

melco : square boxes with a logo that cheapens a very expensive item

Hegel : doing very well with high praise and loads of great reviews, but a 6k amp that looks like a Tandy product? No way.

audio Physik: great sound, but any tall thin wooden speakers that look like this are too common, boring, and just don’t look their value.

Revel Ultimas: Wilsons are not known for their good looks and are likened to daleks, but these look like their from a 1980s sci-fi B movie.

Harbeths: totally boring, DIY looking square boxes.

jBLs:  ok they are mostly old when design was basic, I know they sound superb, but they look like a mess left over from the 1970s. No visitor would believe they cost over £3k.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2l6fi9s925nyl6n/AACSTV04iUmdhUPnNjQJoOFEa?dl=0

Leema Pulse MK3. Looks like a TV digibox. Bland and nasty.

Harbeth - with all the screws showing they look like a toddler group had made the boxes. I probably could live with a pair... eyesight isn't what it was.

Most brands make boring looking amps, speakers and CDPs. This goes back to when I had the Pioneer with dancing VU meters. Still love that today.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I don't think I have a list of any electronics or sound sources that I'd reject purely on visuals. Speakers are a bit different, I don't think I'd like them too thin as that would mean a bass driver that was too small to reproduce bass without use of a port. 

• Like 1

Heh nice topic :D I've just traded in my Marantz ND8006 because of its looks. I just don't like the fact that the sides are bent. I guess that also counts for Moon :) 

I generally don't like blue lights or very bright lights for that matter. So Advance Paris is also something I wouldn't bring home.

Cyrus: totally agree with topic starter.

PMC speakers: My gosh those ports on the bottom might sound wonderful but are they uglay!

Tekton speakers... don't get me started...

Edited by Ceko

Anything in taupe. No good for my pale skin / grey hair / blue eyes. Just washes me out.

I need block colours - greys and blacks.

Plus what Phil said about tall, thin speakers...they draw attention to me belly.

Edited by savvypaul
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

Harbeth - with all the screws showing they look like a toddler group had made the boxes. I probably could live with a pair... eyesight isn't what it was.

The screws are on the back? I don't see how that matters.

Not too bothered about looks but prefer black to silver. Speakers I prefer a decent veneer to black/white gloss paint.

Not keen on VU metres.

Some of the Chord DAC I find challenging, not sure I can live with them.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Chord Electronics. Too blingy. 

Like @StingRay, I also like and own only black not silver kit. Silver seems to be far more popular so, as I often buy pre-owned, I often need to be patient.

Super Wammer
30 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

You seem to be looking at the rear panel of the speaker. I know your eyesight isn’t what it was but from the front with grills on they are fine 😂😂😂

28 minutes ago, Carlbkk1 said:

Call me superficial, but I can’t buy a component which is not pleasing to my eye, even if its performance is outstanding. It’s a 50/50 for me.  

as the market is pretty much full of great gear at different price points, if a component I love the sound of is ugly I’ll keep looking around at another which provides me with more owner satisfaction.  I wouldn’t live with a wife who is wonderfully proficient at washing dishes and ironing but looks like the back end of a bus. I’d wait for another to come along who had both qualities.

:?  err, this isn't the 1950's!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Super Wammer

Linn ‘Colours’ need I say more?

4D01F4AD-7513-48AF-B1E8-B37FC55659C9.png

• Haha 6
  • Upvote 1

I don't mind black or silver, as the two don't go badly together if you have enough boxes :whistle:

That said, I can't be doing with odd-coloured stuff, because it just looks like Fisher Price to me, even when it's done well. You end up with a bright metallic blue box that doesn't go with anything. The Mac look is not to my taste, but the biggest issue with that (and some others) is that if you don't have everything from the same company, it looks weird. The olive coloured Naim stuff is bloody awful as well. Ex-military camo look? No thanks.

Much as I don't mind the sound, and sometimes I agree it's stunning, I really couldn't live with the big Tannoys either. Far too '1930's sideboard' for my taste.

The real issue is that a lot of people who 'design' audio stuff have this idea that this makes them also a designer in terms of aesthetics. It doesn't. Leave it plain black or silver and let the Scandinavians do 'design', because most others are utterly hopeless at it.

Edited by rabski
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

Chord Electronics. Too blingy. 

Like @StingRay, I also like and own only black not silver kit. Silver seems to be far more popular so, as I often buy pre-owned, I often need to be patient.

I have a Jolida DAC in silver, not out of choice, I'm looking to change it for a black one. Silver is ok if everything is silver. I had silver about 40 years ago, since then it's been black.