rabski

GL75 thoughts

I seem to have acquired a GL75 in what looks like reasonable nick, though without a lid. It has not yet arrived here, but when it does, the thought is to run it for a little while as a second deck.

Bearing in mind that spare time is all but non-existent here, and that this will be 'fun only', I have no wish to spend any significant money or time on it. All I really want to do is pull the platter, clean and lube the bearing, have a wiring tidy and call it a day. Anything to look out for, or any 'matchbox cost' upgrades that might be worthwhile?

I would strongly recommend changing the arm, if that is too much, just check the existing arm “V” blocks are in good order and replace if not - it should cost pennies. Also make sure the motor is lubed and set up properly, loads of info on Lenco Heaven.

Have fun, you may find yourself drawn to the dark side.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Stock it will sound ‘ok’. It really needs a better arm. A Linn will swap out ok and will make a good difference. The big step up is a new plinth. You can buy these cheaply on eBay and if you are going to refurb the GL then you may as well swap the plinth. 

For what it’s worth I miss my custom Lenco (only kept the motor and platter) for its sheer grunt. On funk music or anything where bass is important it makes a huge difference and is better than literally anything else. I would say that it bettered my AC Raven/Phantom and current Luxman PD171/Audio Note for musical enjoyment. For classical music I would prefer the Luxman. 

Please don’t look at Lenco Heaven as you may fall down the Rabbit Hole. 👍😜

Thanks guys.

I did look at Lenco heaven, but I have enough complication in my life as it is, and I can't afford any time for this. Arm is a good shout though and if it's effectively Linn fit, then that won't cost an arm or a leg and should be straightforward. I'll wait 'till it arrives and see what the plinth is like. I don't think it's the old wood and plastic (?) one with the grey front, but it's supposed to be all wood. No idea what they were originally though. I've never had one before.

Super Wammer
29 minutes ago, rabski said:

Thanks guys.

I did look at Lenco heaven, but I have enough complication in my life as it is, and I can't afford any time for this. Arm is a good shout though and if it's effectively Linn fit, then that won't cost an arm or a leg and should be straightforward. I'll wait 'till it arrives and see what the plinth is like. I don't think it's the old wood and plastic (?) one with the grey front, but it's supposed to be all wood. No idea what they were originally though. I've never had one before.

Definitely an arm Richard, it won’t need a leg 😜

• Haha 2

Super Wammer

Hopefully it will arrive with the motor transport screws in place. Once you have repositioned the motor it may take a while to settle in.

Some people tape the idler arm to reduce resonance. 

I found that both a Funk and Tenuto mat was a lot better than the stock rubber mat. 

And I am sure that you know that Linn/Jelco are the same geometry. 

Controversial me, the arms fine when you carry out what you’ve outlined, plus arm  V blocks are a must (when I checked mine they looked like rotten teeth.) .

Do try the original arm set up properly, and decide for yourself. The original mat if in good condition works well too.

The metal deck as supplied is not earthed, it’s a good move to earth this. Take all earths to “star” point.

Gary

Super Wammer

Depending on its provenance I suppose there’s a chance that the antiskate or another important piece may be missing.  I remember the Goldring ones in the plain is teak box-type plinth.  I hope it’s worth rescuing as I was shocked to see quite a decent looking one on eBay for £200 buy it now with a Shure M75ED.  

(I can’t recall why we didn’t sell more in the shop back in the 1970s - was there a Rank/Leak badged versiontoo?.  They always seemed to rumble, but they were usually fitted with Goldring G800 cartridges that didn’t match well imo). 

Then wasn’t there a later model with a drilled head shell, plus a GL78 that might’ve had auto shutoff?  Must look at that Lenco Heaven website as I’ve never seen that!  The first Hifi turntable I ever clapped eyes on, aged about 11, was my uncle’s GL69 I think it was, with a Shure M-series cartridge. 

Super Wammer

This is why you should not look at Lenco Heaven. The link shows the end product but the journey and extreme cost is amazing

https://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=30653.300

Super Wammer
23 minutes ago, DomT said:

This is why you should not look at Lenco Heaven. The link shows the end product but the journey and extreme cost is amazing

https://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=30653.300

Blimey, that’s off the scale!  What engineering skills.  I’d no idea these had such a following, and definitely not as exotic designs. 

I'm well aware of Lenco Heaven, as many of you will remember their rooms at Scalford. It's wonderful stuff, but I have no inclination to start down that path. If it works OK, it will be a fun second turntable, nothing more or less.

It's been sitting unused for years, so I'll do the V blocks, lube and clean everything, re-wire and probably the idler will need replacing. Other than that, the arm may be an idea, but initially the idea is clean, service and leave alone. I seriously have less than zero spare time at the moment and the last thing I need is another unfinished project cluttering up the place B|

Super Wammer
7 minutes ago, rabski said:

I'm well aware of Lenco Heaven, as many of you will remember their rooms at Scalford. It's wonderful stuff, but I have no inclination to start down that path. If it works OK, it will be a fun second turntable, nothing more or less.

It's been sitting unused for years, so I'll do the V blocks, lube and clean everything, re-wire and probably the idler will need replacing. Other than that, the arm may be an idea, but initially the idea is clean, service and leave alone. I seriously have less than zero spare time at the moment and the last thing I need is another unfinished project cluttering up the place B|

Agreed, bring it back to original spec and have a play. These decks are fine but if you spend out loads there will be very little on the investment other than better sound but come to sell, you won’t see it whereas Garrards, Thorens see a return of some kind. What I have spent on my Thorens TD125 (motor unit) plus plinth, arm boards , lid etc excluding arm, the deck would sell for double what I have invested so sound and the pound 👍🏻

The 'straight' Jelco arms are the same geometry as a Linn and almost a drop in for the stock Lenco arm. 

An 's' shaped Jelco has a slightly different geometry, but I have used one on a Lenco with good results, moving the cart a bit further back in the headshell. 

You'll probably find once you change the arm it won't be long before you want to try a better plinth. 

Both well worth doing and not a fortune. A Jelco SA-250 can probably be picked up for just over £100 and a plinth about the same. 

Edited by minimido

Super Wammer

I just got one too, and on lencoheaven as Jessica_k. Mine cost me £75, I did change the v-blocks on the original arm, but it needs a new headshell as the one on the TT was badly out in azimuth. So put in a spare ittok. Still in original plinth did a bit of cleaning removed the spring and stood it on isolation feet and it is working great. Will be building a single layer plinth in the future estimate £55 and a bit of cutting but it’s good to go now 

jessica xx

785B830E-8D51-4351-9583-C291FE25046A.jpeg.97877bb1e1c9ac3a6359ca71d2e357c8.jpeg

• Like 2

Super Wammer
11 minutes ago, Jessica_k said:

I just got one too, and on lencoheaven as Jessica_k. Mine cost me £75, I did change the v-blocks on the original arm, but it needs a new headshell as the one on the TT was badly out in azimuth. So put in a spare ittok. Still in original plinth did a bit of cleaning removed the spring and stood it on isolation feet and it is working great. Will be building a single layer plinth in the future estimate £55 and a bit of cutting but it’s good to go now 

jessica xx

785B830E-8D51-4351-9583-C291FE25046A.jpeg.97877bb1e1c9ac3a6359ca71d2e357c8.jpeg

Very nice Jessica. Compared to your LP12/Audiomods?