rabski

GL75 thoughts

Super Wammer

Not in the same league but also only a lowly modified AT95E, but still a lovely sound on par with my TecnoDec with a TecnoArm great for rock as what it lacks in detail it gives in grunt

jessica xx

• Like 1

Super Wammer
15 minutes ago, Jessica_k said:

Not in the same league but also only a lowly modified AT95E, but still a lovely sound on par with my TecnoDec with a TecnoArm great for rock as what it lacks in detail it gives in grunt

jessica xx

I do have one lurking for a few years. One day I might get round to bringing it up to scratch. The problem is, I’m hoarding turntables anyone would thing I was Mike @Idlewithnodrive 😂

• Haha 1

A well fettled (serviced, decent idler wheel) motor unit in a heavy plinth is easily capable of supporting a very decent arm and will give decks costing 10 times as much a good run for their money, only losing out on the finer detail resolution and refinement, in my experience.

Edited by Idlewithnodrive

Super Wammer
Just now, Idlewithnodrive said:

A well fettled (serviced, decent idler wheel) motor unit in a heavy plinth is easily capable of supporting a very decent arm and will give decks costing 10 times as much a good run for their money, only losing out on the finer detail resolution and refinement in my experience.

I knew you were reading 😂

2 minutes ago, radiant red said:

I knew you were reading 😂

Stalker !!!

• Haha 1

Super Wammer
11 minutes ago, Idlewithnodrive said:

A well fettled (serviced, decent idler wheel) motor unit in a heavy plinth is easily capable of supporting a very decent arm and will give decks costing 10 times as much a good run for their money, only losing out on the finer detail resolution and refinement, in my experience.

I agree. I had one of ‘those’ Lencos with an Audio Note 2/2 arm. 

I also had an AC Raven/Graham that I owned and an SME10/V on a week home demo and they only won out on detail. For the sort of music that I listen to the Lenco won easily which is why after 18 months of Raven ownership I sold it. 

Super Wammer
34 minutes ago, Jessica_k said:

jessica xx

Grunt is exactly right and it’s very addictive. 

I took my Lenco to a Linn dealer and it was up against a £3500 LP12 fitted with my Jelco and both had the same DV20 cartridge. There wasn’t a lot in it. A replinth, PTP (top plate), new bearing and off board power supply make a huge difference. 

Super Wammer
19 minutes ago, radiant red said:

I do have one lurking for a few years. One day I might get round to bringing it up to scratch. The problem is, I’m hoarding turntables anyone would thing I was Mike @Idlewithnodrive 😂

I think that the only reason why you don’t is because you don’t want to embarrass your Thorens!! Sorry am being deliberately provocative. 😜😜👍👍

Super Wammer
7 minutes ago, DomT said:

I think that the only reason why you don’t is because you don’t want to embarrass your Thorens!! Sorry am being deliberately provocative. 😜😜👍👍

Now listen here mr T, I will have none of these tactics thrown from the idler brigade 😂 

• Haha 1

Thought you might like to see mine, fitted with extended RB300 and Decca London Super Gold. As shown in the Lenco Heaven room at last years Kegworth. Had many nice comments and it always amazes me what vintage HiFi is capable of. The GL78 underneath it all is completely stock, just fettled and loved.

Obviously much further than you want to go Richard, but you wouldn’t be wasting your time if you could invest some time in it. Maybe I’m biased though B|

F3CCCF68-0E37-4355-9101-9A7871568115.thumb.jpeg.aeef2942a55ec675697e0318fe23fa5b.jpeg

• Like 1

Super Wammer
3 minutes ago, Funkpig said:

Thought you might like to see mine, fitted with extended RB300 and Decca London Super Gold. As shown in the Lenco Heaven room at last years Kegworth. Had many nice comments and it always amazes me what vintage HiFi is capable of. The GL78 underneath it all is completely stock, just fettled and loved.

Obviously much further than you want to go Richard, but you wouldn’t be wasting your time if you could invest some time in it. Maybe I’m biased though B|

F3CCCF68-0E37-4355-9101-9A7871568115.thumb.jpeg.aeef2942a55ec675697e0318fe23fa5b.jpeg

Looks cool, joking aside and cost etc, there is great pleasure in building and repairing older decks. I’ve never seen anyone go to the lengths of extending an RB300 tho 🤔

Super Wammer
23 hours ago, rabski said:

I seem to have acquired a GL75 in what looks like reasonable nick, though without a lid. It has not yet arrived here, but when it does, the thought is to run it for a little while as a second deck.

Bearing in mind that spare time is all but non-existent here, and that this will be 'fun only', I have no wish to spend any significant money or time on it. All I really want to do is pull the platter, clean and lube the bearing, have a wiring tidy and call it a day. Anything to look out for, or any 'matchbox cost' upgrades that might be worthwhile?

If you check out ebay you can get an acrylic lid for it for around £30  - 40 with hinged .. the dimensions of the plinth should be the same as  Linn LP12 (443mm x 347mm x 69mm) but  I am not sure if models from different time spans are different in size - Hamish when he designed the Ariston RD11 (which became the Linn) sourced the lids from Goldring (even had the same plastic stay on the side that sat in a holes drilled on the top right hand side of the plinth).   This turntable was a favourite for dance schools (you can slow the speed down to learn and bring the dancer up to speed) and invaluable for learning to play songs (slow down to learn and speed up) .

Enjoy and report back on how it sounds when you get it sorted 

Super Wammer

Here is my hollow plinth replacement with Jelco on the right done as a test to see what the fuss was about.  And on the left a very upgraded version of the same thing.

P1000997.jpeg

Edited by DomT
Upgraded version on left
  • Like 1

See why I love this place so much?

My idea: Make sure the wiring is safe, lube it, wipe it over with an oily rag, stick the spare AT95 in it. At a push, do the arm bearings.

The Wam idea: Change the plinth, arm, top plate, bearing and platter mat and add an outboard power supply. :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
18 minutes ago, rabski said:

See why I love this place so much?

My idea: Make sure the wiring is safe, lube it, wipe it over with an oily rag, stick the spare AT95 in it. At a push, do the arm bearings.

The Wam idea: Change the plinth, arm, top plate, bearing and platter mat and add an outboard power supply. :rofl:

We are hearing loud and clear that you have no time but we feel that you just need to be inspired to reprioritise your time. Anyway once it’s up and running it will inspire you hopefully in any event; unless idlers are not for you 😱