bigrod

How small can a speaker be and still be HiFi

How big is your room Rod? 

LS 3/5A more than fill my study but I think your room will be a bit bigger than 6m2 😁

The Neat Iota is a great speaker but agree rear ported won't suit.  Sealed box would be best given the application. 👍

Atb

Graham 

The smallest I’ve heard are Arcam  Muso https://theaudiophileman.com/muso/ which are extremely underrated, particularly in a small room. Canon S35 omnidirectional are fun. 

Super Wammer
13 hours ago, graham67 said:

How big is your room Rod? 

LS 3/5A more than fill my study but I think your room will be a bit bigger than 6m2 😁

The Neat Iota is a great speaker but agree rear ported won't suit.  Sealed box would be best given the application. 👍

Atb

Graham 

The room is 4.5m wide where the unit stands and 11 m from the back wall to the far wall .. but the room opens up both sides about 6 m down like a cross .it’s a large space ,, .the unit will only incorporate a box type speaker 270 mm high by 140 mm wide inside the curve or an eyeball type speaker 160 mm diameter ..

kindest regards Julian

Super Wammer
12 hours ago, t1no said:

150mm sphere?

Matt-Saturn-Dust-Planet-M.png.055536f821e16021bef189cb68a06bdd.png

ELI_basic_Dim_PlanetM-1.thumb.jpg.c43fa013f96804ff47cc6d09d6af6a88.jpg

They would work and fit perfectly with those dimensions.I need to see where I can listen to a pair

has anyone heard them ?

kindest regards Julian

Super Wammer
On 26/09/2020 at 09:10, deadflagbrews said:

These might work out ok?

1CFE3150-A8B5-41CA-B722-8F37DF3959DD.jpeg

020A5199-2B2C-4184-8835-6CF4C1B9CC4A.jpeg

too wide max 140 mm wide to get the max height inside the arc/ curve

Super Wammer
Just now, bigrod said:

too wide max 140 mm wide to get the max height inside the arc/ curve

Or can they be placed not on their “side” ?as in the picture because vertically they would fit .

Super Wammer
23 hours ago, MartinC said:

Is a separate subwoofer somewhere else in the room 'allowed'?

One other thought is that aren't speakers placed inside your cabinet going to be a bit low? Assuming you're used to speakers with tweeters at around ear height you might find the effect a little odd. If you have some standmounts handy you could try them out at the same height to check.

The unit is my interpretation of the old stereogram where the speakers were either end of the unit and they were obviously not to far from the floor approx 2ft in most cases . The idea of putting the speakers within the structure is to allow the furniture to go into a smaller room when eventually we need to downsize when old age sees the need arise , which wouldn’t have room for other speakers ..

kindest regards Julian 

27 minutes ago, bigrod said:

The unit is my interpretation of the old stereogram where the speakers were either end of the unit and they were obviously not to far from the floor approx 2ft in most cases . The idea of putting the speakers within the structure is to allow the furniture to go into a smaller room when eventually we need to downsize when old age sees the need arise , which wouldn’t have room for other speakers ..

kindest regards Julian 

Yes I understood what you were trying to recreate but I'm aware you're used to rather higher quality sound than I'm fairly confident a Stereogram was capable of :). Having a way to angle the speakers up towards the listening position would may help alleviate the issue I mentioned though. 

Edited by MartinC

Super Wammer
12 hours ago, HectorHughMunro said:

The smallest I’ve heard are Arcam  Muso https://theaudiophileman.com/muso/ which are extremely underrated, particularly in a small room. Canon S35 omnidirectional are fun. 

I have a pair of these in the conservatory at the mo (to keep the missus happy as they sit on the window sill) - previously I had a pair of Systym (Art Loudspeakers first name) 931s - they were LS35A size - ported so were on stands (hence why the missus didn't like the space they took up).

This is where we get into what is "hifi" - to me it is listening on a small pair of speakers and whilst they are limited in bass response they have a magic that makes you want to listen (with the 931s it is a magical mid a clear smooth top end and an illusion of bass).   It gives you a different perspective of the music and provides a massive enjoyment.

The Canon S35 is better than a radiogram or transistor radio but it is not a speaker to draw you in for an extended listening session.  Having said that for the £30 they cost me second hand - the fact I can listen to music when reading a magazine or whatever where they produce a nice background noise for me,  however. their ideal use is rear speakers in a surround sound set up .. and not, unfortunately, hifi.

Edited by uzzy
correction

Super Wammer

I've got a pair of B&W MM-1 speakers which are no longer made, but might be available second hand. I use them with an upgraded Audioquest Cinnamon USB cable and they are driven by an iFi Nano USB3.0 for a clean USB signal. They sit on a pair of IsoAcoustics stands with a couple of acoustic panels behind them. I think they sound very good and would class them as 'HiFi'.

bw-mm2-system.thumb.jpg.819b97f7eb5fed130552d6eb0b816369.jpg

But in terms of the question "How small can a speaker be and still be HiFi" that is the title of this thread, here is my travel system based on a pair of JBL Go speakers:

jbl_go_system.thumb.jpg.e8e83b961862c89841a388ebd63e3324.jpg

I use a GL.iNet AR300M travel router to create a LAN in the hotel room. There is a Raspberry Pi Zero W running Moode Audio as a music server in a nice wooden case, powered by the router and it communicates with the router via WiFi. The USB output of the music server goes to a Shanling M0 DAP, and the Shanling drives a pair of JBL Go speakers via a cable I made up with Duelund DCA20GA cable. There is no bluetooth involved, and the JBL Go speakers are used as a stereo pair when I think they are intended to be mono bluetooth speakers. I use the battery at the bottom left to charge the JBL speakers.

Apart from missing low bass the treble and midrange are really quite good. It is difficult to say whether they qualify as 'HiFi' but to me they just about scrape in - I can sit in a hotel room with a glass of wine and listen to the system as I might do with my home system. I can control Moode on the Pi with an iPad Mini using the mConnect Player HD app and play Qobuz High Res tracks. The Shanling has an SD card with 400 gb of music on it, and I can also store music on the SD card in the Pi and control music playing with Moode's MPD play via the Rigelian app on my iPad.

The total music system weighs 390 grams. The speakers are 140 grams each, the Shanling is 41 grams and the Pi music server is a grand total of 21 grams. 

Edited by rdale
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, bigrod said:

They would work and fit perfectly with those dimensions.I need to see where I can listen to a pair

has anyone heard them ?

kindest regards Julian

Not heard but I was always tempted to get a pair of the Elipson Ms.

Review here: https://www.avforums.com/reviews/elipson-planet-m-speakers-planet-subwoofer-review.292

Super Wammer

Totem have made some exceptional small speakers, I think their current mini monitor is the Kin.