Fourlegs

Power supplies for Chord Qutest - which one is best? review / discussion.

Super Dealer
2 minutes ago, Ceko said:

Maybe they measured the right things! I mean, it’s not the power supply that eventually makes music, it’s the box it’s connected to. And if that box has it’s own way of dealing with dirty power, why would such LPS matter at all? I’d say measure the outcome of the sound.

Hey mate, start a thread, maybe folks would like to debate that with you but this is not the thread for you. This thread is for us to compare the power supplies.

32 minutes ago, Ceko said:

Maybe they measured the right things! I mean, it’s not the power supply that eventually makes music, it’s the box it’s connected to. And if that box has it’s own way of dealing with dirty power, why would such LPS matter at all? I’d say measure the outcome of the sound.

Or maybe they only measured some of the right things.

It's boring to keep repeating this, but if you are listening to music that is reproduced with electronic equipment, you are always effectively listening to the power supply. Technically, more so than anything else. To (over)simplify, you start off with two electrical inputs. One is the music signal, which at the first stage will be well below 1 volt. Second is the mains, which will be around 240 volts. Along the route to the loudspeakers, a proportion of the 240 volts is used to magnify the music signal to a substantial extent. A very large proportional increase. It doesn't take the brain of Einstein to figure out that somewhere that 240 volts AC needs to become as clean as possible DC. Anyone who has ever been involved in designing or making power supplies knows they are complex, relatively costly, space consuming and full of opportunities to introduce all sorts of interference, some of which will always get through. There is accordingly always a cost/performance equation. This is made worse by the necessity for manufacturers to comply with various international legislation, only part of which relates to safety.

Edited by rabski
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Super Dealer

Richard, you are more patient than I am. Both of our responses are valid though. :D

3 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

Richard, you are more patient than I am. Both of our responses are valid though. :D

Well, I make stuff for my own pleasure, as you know. Building a vinyl front end with a valve phono stage and valve rectified and regulated power supply when you have a cartridge that outputs 0.12mV teaches you an awful lot about design and an awful lot more about how even the best sim software and predictions don't always work out the way you expect in real life.

Building stuff and designing power supplies from scratch also teaches you that whilst measurements are vital, they don't always tell the whole story. I've got two valve power supplies here that I was playing with for the phono. Both have regulated low-voltage DC for valve filaments and valve regulated high-voltage DC (two separately regulated rails) for HT. One uses shunt regulation, the other voltage regulator valves. They measure pretty much identically on a 'scope, yet they sound quite different. Why? I assume it's the introduction of harmonics and interactions under varying load. VR valves do have some high frequency effects that really ought to be well outside the audio range, but there is absolutely no way you could measure that in reality, as it would be far too complex and time consuming. The effective load changes for every musical note at every frequency and every combination of them. Good luck 'measuring' that.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer

I've got three MCRU power supplies, and they all have the pure silver DC cabling upgrade option and the Furutech IEC rhodium socket upgrade. I use them with a Chord 2Qute, Slack Audio Link and EAT e-Glo  Petit phono preamp.

I wonder how much of the difference heard between the SBooster and the base level MCRU PSU was due to the DC cable and IEC socket, and how the MCRU with the upgrades would compare with the SBooster.

mcru_psus.thumb.jpg.15a07491e7f99ea94e2b39d8761352e6.jpg

Edited by rdale

Super Dealer
53 minutes ago, rdale said:

I've got three MCRU power supplies, and they all have the pure silver DC cabling upgrade option and the Furutech IEC rhodium socket upgrade. I use them with a Chord 2Qute, Slack Audio Link and EAT e-Glo  Petit phono preamp.

I wonder how much of the difference heard between the SBooster and the base level MCRU PSU was due to the DC cable and IEC socket, and how the MCRU with the upgrades would compare with the SBooster.

Out of interest, what was the price of the upgraded MCRU you have. Some of them seem to be £500 plus. 

Edited by Fourlegs

Super Wammer
5 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

Out of interest, what was the price of the upgraded MCRU you have. Some of them seem to be £500 plus. 

With the silver DC cable and rhodium IEC socket, the last one I bought was 290 pounds.

Edited by rdale

Super Dealer

So in the same neck of the woods to an SBooster. A comparison would indeed be interesting. But then again it set me wondering if the SBooster would be even better if the supplied cable was replaced. I’m not a fan of these captive cables. 

31 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

So in the same neck of the woods to an SBooster. A comparison would indeed be interesting. But then again it set me wondering if the SBooster would be even better if the supplied cable was replaced. I’m not a fan of these captive cables. 

I think the Sbooster mkii captive cable is also shielded. 

Super Dealer
21 minutes ago, Iceman 16 said:

I think the Sbooster mkii captive cable is also shielded. 

If indeed that is useful?

i will take a peek though . . .

Edited by Fourlegs

Super Dealer

@Iceman 16 I have now taken the top off the SBooster and you are right that the captive dc cable is shielded. The shield is connected to the SBooster pcb (not earth).

Posted (edited)
On 28/09/2020 at 13:22, Fourlegs said:

@Iceman 16 I have now taken the top off the SBooster and you are right that the captive dc cable is shielded. The shield is connected to the SBooster pcb (not earth).

I haven’t done AB comparison but I also upgraded the fuse (400ma) slow blow inside the Sbooster 5V version.:grrr: and Im using a diy mains cable.

606356D7-18B4-4A95-B939-25C64F37099D.png

Edited by Iceman 16

Super Dealer
14 minutes ago, Iceman 16 said:

I haven’t done AB comparison but I also upgraded the fuse (400ma) slow blow inside the Sbooster 5V version.:grrr: and Im using a diy mains cable.

606356D7-18B4-4A95-B939-25C64F37099D.png

"Comparison is the thief of joy", as the quote says, but we need your comparisons . . . . ..

1 minute ago, Fourlegs said:

"Comparison is the thief of joy", as the quote says, but we need your comparisons . . . . ..

No point as I didn’t measure the resultsxD

Super Dealer
3 minutes ago, Iceman 16 said:

No point as I didn’t measure the resultsxD

The designer of the SBooster suggests 'upgrading' the fuse . . . . .