kukulec

USB cable

Hey, I am about to change my QED Performance Graphite USB to QED New Reference High-Resolution USB or maybe to Vertere d-fi (however I do not like the fact that they don't specify the measured performance). Do you think I would be able to detect any difference in sound quality? 

Super Wammer

I’ve never compared any myself, but Hi-Fi News published tests a few years ago with measurements and listening tests. 

I think the usual position applies - the shorter the better.  However, whether the extra cost will yield an improvement in your system it’s hard to predict.  I suspect the benefits may be system dependent. Beware the visual appeal of a fancy cable, and its influence on our expectations!  Best of all, see if you can borrow from a dealer, or buy with an option to return. 

Edited by Nopiano
  • Like 1

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, kukulec said:

Hey, I am about to change my QED Performance Graphite USB to QED New Reference High-Resolution USB or maybe to Vertere d-fi (however I do not like the fact that they don't specify the measured performance). Do you think I would be able to detect any difference in sound quality? 

If your digital source is a general purpose PC it would probably make more sense to change to a dedicated streaming device rather than changing cables.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Super Dealer

Agreed with @rdale 

However having been a long term usb cable sceptic I tried a few ‘exotic’ ones some moths ago and they were all different to the Supra 2.0 USB that I had been using quite happily. I ended up buying a Sablon 2020 Usb which to my ears and in my system sounded best to me. 

This is fine tuning though after all other pieces of equipment have been given prior attention. 

• Like 2

Different usb cables can change the sound..if it were me..i would get a schiit eitr and use it between pc and dac..this would yield a much greater improvement in the sound in my opinion..

15 hours ago, kukulec said:

If you can hear differences in cables, analogue and digital, then you probably will. Whether or not you will prefer them to what you have is a matter of taste and system synergy. 

I used a fairly modest USB cable until recently and then tried a very exotic, expensive one. At first I thought it was so much better, but after a while I realised that I didn't like it long term. I bought something that lies somewhere between the two and am much happier. 

This is what I use. It includes free return shipping if you don’t like it ;-)

https://curiouscables.com/user-reviews

50320398218_1deccb6012_c_d.jpg

Edited by Iceman 16
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Nopiano said:

I think the usual position applies - the shorter the better.

That's why I'm using one of these :D

NGCsTg9.jpg

Edit: £1.99 on Amazon UK

Edited by tuga
  • Haha 2

Super Dealer
1 hour ago, tuga said:

That's why I'm using one of these :D

NGCsTg9.jpg

Edit: £1.99 on Amazon UK

You was robbed. 

• Haha 2

Massive thanks to all of you. 1 meter can be short for me, so it would be 2 meters. I am on the old continent, so no more futureshop (or other british one :( ). My source is a pc (no hdd), which is connected to the Project dac box, which is linked to the i22. I was thinking also on a dedicated streaming device, but I do not want another box and spend a fortune on a good one. Regarding the price I will not go over 150 euros. Someone mentioned the Supra. It is around the same level as my QED now. 

Cno: which Vertere u heard?   

Iceman: it looks great, but I would never pay US$350 for a digital cable. I need to save up for a Luxman and a bigger Elac :) 

13 minutes ago, kukulec said:

Massive thanks to all of you. 1 meter can be short for me, so it would be 2 meters. I am on the old continent, so no more futureshop (or other british one :( ). My source is a pc (no hdd), which is connected to the Project dac box, which is linked to the i22. I was thinking also on a dedicated streaming device, but I do not want another box and spend a fortune on a good one. Regarding the price I will not go over 150 euros. Someone mentioned the Supra. It is around the same level as my QED now. 

Cno: which Vertere u heard?   

Iceman: it looks great, but I would never pay US$350 for a digital cable. I need to save up for a Luxman and a bigger Elac :)

It was way back in 2012, when Touraj was launching his Vertere Cables.

There were 2 USB cables in the Pulse D-Fi range. 

D-Fi......£70

DD-Fi....£140

13 hours ago, Nearly bewildered said:

Different usb cables can change the sound..if it were me..i would get a schiit eitr and use it between pc and dac..this would yield a much greater improvement in the sound in my opinion..

If you mean the Schiit 'Wyred', then I agree 100% - a second hand (original) Uptone Regen would also be within budget - I think the cable is very much the icing on the cake - optimisation of the rest of the digital pathway will yield much greater benefits, and there's a lot one can achieve, in particular with regard to the software environment, without spending anything other than time - MH

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

You was robbed. 

Ehh. Shipping was free.

24 minutes ago, MotherSky said:

If you mean the Schiit 'Wyred', then I agree 100% - a second hand (original) Uptone Regen would also be within budget - I think the cable is very much the icing on the cake - optimisation of the rest of the digital pathway will yield much greater benefits, and there's a lot one can achieve, in particular with regard to the software environment, without spending anything other than time - MH

I see the point and benefit of the Eitr, but not the Wyred. The Eitr is a full USB to SPDIF converter, the Wyred is a USB to USB 'converter', but seems to serve no real purpose. It doesn't have galvanic isolation and all it does it supply the USB power, rather than taking it from the computer USB hub, and provide reclocking. Trouble is, only the very cheapest £15 type DACs use the USB for power and every DAC chip or receiver I know has its own internal clock. The Wyred 'fixes' two issues that pretty much every DAC on the planet are completely unaffected by.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1