Behold: the mighty Linn Majik DSM!!!

7 hours ago, David Reimers said:

Why is that the case David? Would you not want to use Exakt outputs to connect to an Exaktbox-I in the future to upgrade your Majik DSM?

Well, you might. But it's (usually) not the best way of creating an Exakt system. Obviously, in most use cases, you waste both the onboard amplification and the DAC in the MDSM. So the better plan, if you have an MDSM or ADSM, is to trade them as part of the Exakt upgrade in for an for an Akurate System Hub, which actually costs less new than the MDSM. You could even trade up to a Klimax System Hub, which will give you rather better sound quality than the ASH, but has fewer facilities and is a lot more expensive.

The use case in which you might want to keep the DSM is where you need the analogue outputs for something other than the main (Exakt) system. The most obvious example is where you wish to continue using the headphone output, which the ASH does not have, because it has no DAC and therefore no analogue outputs.. But there are a number of excellent DAC/headphone amplifiers on the market, and the ASH has digital output (the KSH doesn't). 

In general, the fewer components and functions there are in a device, the lower its noise floor will be. This is why DSMs have the option to switch off facilities (e.g. HDMI) that are not needed. Experiments with my ADSM showed that the difference was clearly audible. And it's even greater when, as in the 'E' DSMs and the System Hubs, whole functions are omitted and the board layout can be correspondingly improved. I believe that this is a large part of the reasons why trading up from the ADSM to the KEDSM produced a significant improvement in sound quality in my system.

And, yes, I do know that the DSM output is digital and that noise is analogue. But, even in digital systems, it is very difficult to stop noise getting into the analogue domain and thereby reaching our ears. So I would still argue that, in most circumstances, the better way of going Exakt is to replace your DSM with a System Hub. It's what I did.

David

Edited by DavidHB

On 30/09/2020 at 12:03, DavidHB said:

From the /2 on, in parallel with the ADSM/1, the MDSM was provided with a much better clocking capability, with consequent reduction in jitter, so it should sound better than the models in the sequence from MDSi to MDSM/1. At the time, the marketing emphasis was on the provision of Exakt ports (which, we have all subsequently come to realise, is of limited applicability on a 'full fat' DSM, which is why the MDSM/4 doesn't have them), and the clocking improvements went mostly unnoticed. They were very real, however, when I had my ADSM upgraded to /1 standard, so I think that they were significant on the MDSM as well.

I did point out in an earlier post that the coaxial SPDIF connection on the MDSM/4 can be configured as an output.

See https://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Majik_DSM_/4_(2020_Variant)#Product_info

I wish that my KEDSM had the same capability!

David

Thanks yes you did. Useful for making digital recordings.

My Chord DAC has 4 digital outputs, but I havr no idea what use they are. 

My gateway was more of a restart into better sounding music.  A great little system from my Linn dealer.  Marantz amp and CD player, Rega Rp1, and Majik 109s.  But the 109s led to a MDSM/2.  I quickly realized the MDSM and 109s were the true gateway and my Linn dealer was ready to pounce.  It led to a second system including Akurate DSM, Akurate 4200, Vandersteen Treo ct, and the humble little Rega 1.  

I did try the A4200 with the MDSM/2, but it just didn’t have the right feel and stage.  So the MDSM and 109s remain in their native state.  A system I listen to daily.  I’ll let the Akurate system drive me crazy with what if’s.  😃👏🙏

• 1 month later...
On 06/10/2020 at 12:22, DCI Cooper said:

So the MDSM and 109s remain in their native state.  A system I listen to daily.

I wonder why this thread, and the other MDSM/4 thread also, have lain fallow for so long? I'd expect at least some MDSM/4 user experience to be filtering through by now. Be that as it may, I've taken the quote from the previous post as a useful restarting point.

I mentioned earlier on in the thread that I was considering replacing the Kiko which is my second system with an MDSM/4. I'm now reporting that I have placed an order for the MDSM, together with a pair of M109s, stands and cables with my dealer. Linn are quoting a four to six week delivery lead time on electronics at present, so, if the lead time lengthens, I won't see the MDSM until after Christmas.

Given the discussion earlier in this thread, I doubt that I need to expand on my reasons for going for the MDSM. With lockdown Mk. 2 well upon us in the UK, and ferry travel increasingly restricted, dealer visits are impracticable for me just now, so I have had to break my rule of always listening before I buy. However, I am pretty familiar with the MDSM  as such (in fact I originally considered the MDSM/1 as my first streamer purchase, before settling on the ADSM), so I do not need that much of a leap of faith to  expect that I shall like the /4 as a second system. Likewise, I have used M109s as the speakers in my main system in the past (five years ago, so there are no regrets about disposing of that pair at the time). My dealer did offer other speakers, but I chose what I knew, which also happened to be the least expensive option, and available in a colour that I preferred.

Watch this space for further reports. Just don't hold your breath.

David

Edited by DavidHB
  • Like 6

Good news David; I'm waiting for your report.

You have also to test the new MM hybrid board (placing an order for the Majik/Krane LP12 :D)

M.

• Upvote 1

Now that it's the full pantone colour wheel on offer, I'm curious what colour.

11 hours ago, Matteo said:

Good news David; I'm waiting for your report.

You have also to test the new MM hybrid board (placing an order for the Majik/Krane LP12 :D)

M.

I too await your report. I have in mind getting the Majik DSM, 109s w/stands, and a Majik LP12 w/Krane. All to be purchased in Japan, where the prices are a little higher :(.

https://lyngdorf.steinwaylyngdorf.com/lyngdorf-tdai-1120/
intrigued anyone heard this an alternative to majik ??

On 20/11/2020 at 08:02, Matteo said:

Given that I'm not going to move my LP12 upstairs for the the experiment, that it has an MC cartridge, and that there is no connectivity for my Urika II phono stage in the MDSM, I don't see that this will happen any time soon :) .

16 hours ago, akamatsu said:

I too await your report. I have in mind getting the Majik DSM, 109s w/stands, and a Majik LP12 w/Krane.

Sounds interesting. I can help you with the first two, but not, as noted, with the third. Though what you have in mind is, as Linn are saying in their marketing for the MDSM, a very nice £8K entry point into "proper" Hi-Fi. Any thoughts on a subwoofer? The 109s do benefit from one in a living room system.

David

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DavidHB said:

Given that I'm not going to move my LP12 upstairs for the the experiment, that it has an MC cartridge, and that there is no connectivity for my Urika II phono stage in the MDSM, I don't see that this will happen any time soon :) .

Sounds interesting. I can help you with the first two, but not, as noted, with the third. Though what you have in mind is, as Linn are saying in their marketing for the MDSM, a very nice £8K entry point into "proper" Hi-Fi. Any thoughts on a subwoofer? The 109s do benefit from one in a living room system.

David

I was thinking about 140s rather than 109s, but it seems that 109s with a subwoofer would be better, and cost about the same, and is scalable. Excellent suggestion!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a further update, earlier than expected. The consignment of my MDSM/4 and speakers from Linn arrived at Hidden Systems about two hours ago. Chris decided that, as he had another job this morning, what would have been his first day back in the shop after lockdown was a bust in any case, so he booked himself on the 1600 ferry to do the delivery to me this afternoon. How's that for service?

I betook myself up into the loft and retrieved the Kiko packaging from behind all the other Linn boxes - usefully strenuous exercise at my age. Listening to the new kit will be a nice way to mark the end of lockdown. I shall report further in a day or two.

David

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, DavidHB said:

Here's a further update, earlier than expected. The consignment of my MDSM/4 and speakers from Linn arrived at Hidden Systems about two hours ago. Chris decided that, as he had another job this morning, what would have been his first day back in the shop after lockdown was a bust in any case, so he booked himself on the 1600 ferry to do the delivery to me this afternoon. How's that for service?

I betook myself up into the loft and retrieved the Kiko packaging from behind all the other Linn boxes - usefully strenuous exercise at my age. Listening to the new kit will be a nice way to mark the end of lockdown. I shall report further in a day or two.

David

Chris from Hidden Systems does provide superior service, and is the choice of a number of my Linn friends. 

Having met Chris a few times, he is an extremely knowledgeable and professional person, and a great guy.

Good luck with your installation today

• Like 1

Chris from Hidden Systems does provide superior service, and is the choice of a number of my Linn friends. 
Having met Chris a few times, he is an extremely knowledgeable and professional person, and a great guy.
Good luck with your installation today

Thank you PaulS - great install in Tier 1 - mainland awaits e830e2dd977d2dc6b6f5671114f63909.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Just to add to Chris's previous post. he was in the port bow section of the lower car deck of the newest car ferry in the Wightlink fleet, Victoria of Wight. The structure you can see is the Spinnaker Tower at Portsmouth - you get fantastic views from the glazed platforms  that are just visible at the top of the "sail".

The MDSM system  is, obviously, burning in, which Chris tells me is particularly necessary with the speaker cables. Already there's a smoothness and a sense of control and pace in the sound that the Kiko did not have. But proper assessments will until I've used the system for a few hours, after which I can set up Space Optimisation.. The Room data already exists, of course, so it will only be a matter of entering system data, and probably the listening position.

Thanks again to Chris for really excellent customer service. I celebrated - both the new system and the end of lockdown - by going to the pub next door and having my first pint (in fact, my first alcohol of any sort) since lockdown Mk. 2 began..

David

Edited by DavidHB
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, DavidHB said:

Just to add to Chris's previous post. he was in the port bow section of the lower car deck of the newest car ferry in the Wightlink fleet, Victoria of Wight. The structure you can see is the Spinnaker Tower at Portsmouth - you get fantastic views from the glazed platforms  that are just visible at the top of the "sail".

The MDSM system  is, obviously, burning in, which Chris tells me is particularly necessary with the speaker cables. Already there's a smoothness and a sense of control and pace in the sound that the Kiko did not have. But proper assessments will until I've used the system for a few hours, after which I can set up Space Optimisation.. The Room data already exists, of course, so it will only be a matter of entering system data, and probably the listening position.

Thanks again to Chris for really excellent customer service. I celebrated - both the new system and the end of lockdown - by going to the pub next door and having my first pint (in fact, my first alcohol of any sort) since lockdown Mk. 2 began..

David

Great news.

Congratulations on your new MDSM.

I found when I installed my new Akurate Exaktbox I recently, that the room data was all there, but did not appear right away.

The room data was all there, but the speaker positions were all in the wrong place, so I had to re-enter the speaker location and listening position  and then press Finish, to start the calculations.