Behold: the mighty Linn Majik DSM!!!

1 hour ago, Paulssurround said:

Great news.

Congratulations on your new MDSM.

The room data was all there, but the speaker positions were all in the wrong place, so I had to re-enter the speaker location and listening position  and then press Finish, to start the calculations.

Thank you. 

Your experience with the presence and absence of data is pretty much what I am expecting. But that's anon for later. The system is already sounding better than the Kiko. 

David 

Edited by DavidHB

1 hour ago, DavidHB said:

Thank you. 

Your experience with the presence and absence of data is pretty much what I am expecting. But that's anon for later. The system is already sounding better on the Kiko. 

David 

I have heard that putting equipment on isoacoustic pucks improves the sound but putting it on a Kiko seems a bit extreme 🤨

but seriously enjoy 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Nrwatson said:

I have heard that putting equipment on isoacoustic pucks improves the sound but putting it on a Kiko seems a bit extreme 🤨

but seriously enjoy 

Oops. Correction made. And thanks. 

David 

14 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

Just to add to Chris's previous post. he was in the port bow section of the lower car deck of the newest car ferry in the Wightlink fleet, Victoria of Wight. The structure you can see is the Spinnaker Tower at Portsmouth - you get fantastic views from the glazed platforms  that are just visible at the top of the "sail".

This made me home sick being a born and bred Pompey lad. I've had many a great night out in the shadow of that tower!

...but let me get this straight. Chris made a trip from Windsor to the IoW to drop off an MDSM/4 and a pair of 109's on a moments notice? The margins must be good for Linn dealers considering the Wight Link ferries are rumored to be some of the most expensive trips in the world. My wifes season ticket was proof of this too, she used to commute to the IoW daily.

Anyway... nostalgia aside @DavidHB. I'm pleased and impressed for your new gear and customer service!!

Edited by silkie

25 minutes ago, silkie said:

This made me home sick being a born and bred Pompey lad.

And now you're an Essex boy. Isn't that a bit of a come down? :) 

27 minutes ago, silkie said:

...but let me get this straight. Chris made a trip from Windsor to the IoW to drop off an MDSM/4 and a pair of 109's on a moments notice? The margins must be good for Linn dealers considering the Wight Link ferries are rumored to be some of the most expensive trips in the world. My wifes season ticket was proof of this too, she used to commute to the IoW daily.

Yes, That is what Chris did, for my benefit certainly, but also because it suited his timetable. I should be clear that we did agree beforehand (as part of the originally quoted price of the deal, including cables etc. as well as the Kiko trade-in) on the cost of his installation visit. It would be unreasonable to expect any dealer to stand the cost and time penalty of the Solent crossing as part of a free installation.

And Chris did more than "drop off" the kit. He tested then dismantled the Kiko, set up the MDSM and the speakers on their stands, made up and installed the speaker cables, and made sure that the system was working fully. On this occasion, I didn't need him to do Space Optimisation, as I already had the room data, and I wanted to run the system for a bit before attempting to optimise it. I have now produced the first Optimisation, but have yet to test it.

David

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DavidHB said:

And now you're an Essex boy. Isn't that a bit of a come down? :) 

Pompey Lads and Essex Boys are of equally dire social standing, I am at peace with this. :)

Either way you cut this story it's a glowing review of @Hidden Systems. Enjoy the MDSM/4! I look forward to reading your opinions of it.

Edited by silkie
  • Like 1

Would second David’s experience of hidden systems always a service above and beyond

• Like 1

This made me home sick being a born and bred Pompey lad. I've had many a great night out in the shadow of that tower!
Anyway... nostalgia aside @DavidHB. I'm pleased and impressed for your new gear and customer service!!

£62 return on the ferry with car claimed as business travel which per mile is a lot. I did a couple of iPhone 11 voice rec sound clips and the Kiko was good as active vs. majik DSM4 with majik 109s passive but the system is too new to properly judge that I’m sure David will better describe later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, Hidden Systems said:

£62 return on the ferry with car claimed as business travel which per mile is a lot.

I've done the trip on a jetski for the cost of a splash of petrol and I caught some mackerel on the way home for lunch. Balanced out I see that as a cost neutral trip #winning. To be fair, would have been harder to repeat at that time of night with a new stereo strapped to your back.

Anyway, I think I've taken this off topic. Sorry gents!

6 minutes ago, silkie said:

Anyway, I think I've taken this off topic.

Not really. Just another story of where the mighty MDSM can take us.

Assessment still continuing, but I can confirm that performance with SO is seriously improved from an already decent baseline.

David

• Like 2

5 hours ago, silkie said:

...but let me get this straight. Chris made a trip from Windsor to the IoW to drop off an MDSM/4 and a pair of 109's on a moments notice?

The margins must be good for Linn dealers

considering the Wight Link ferries are rumored to be some of the most expensive trips in the world. My wifes season ticket was proof of this too, she used to commute to the IoW daily.

Linn dealer margins were c. 50% in the 90s - if they're like that now then that's £2.5k profit for an afternoon/evening's drive (following a profitable morning), a paid-for ferry trip and quick installation, and a subsequent margin on the Kiko.   

I know they have shop etc. overheads but this was just a supply and install of a straightforward system with the customer doing the time-consuming SO stuff himself.  Then the dealer said the old Kiko sounded as good as this new £5k system (albeit pre SO)!

Not a bad life....no wonder he wanted to deliver it asap!

Not complaining, just saying..;)

3 hours ago, silkie said:

I've done the trip on a jetski for the cost of a splash of petrol and I caught some mackerel on the way home for lunch. Balanced out I see that as a cost neutral trip #winning. To be fair, would have been harder to repeat at that time of night with a new stereo strapped to your back.

Anyway, I think I've taken this off topic. Sorry gents!

In this part of the world, we would have paddled over to IofW with a canoe or kayak.

Even better would be to attach a line to the ferry and get pulled behind the ferry in the Kayak or canoe. You could also get pulled behind the ferry on water skis, balancing the new  Linn on your shoulders? Add a fishing net to pull behind the boats and you’ve got dinner and lunch for the next few days 😋

‘Then DavidHB could pick you up at the terminal 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Paul_N said:

Linn dealer margins were c. 50% in the 90s - if they're like that now then that's £2.5k profit for an afternoon/evening's drive (following a profitable morning), a paid-for ferry trip and quick installation, and a subsequent margin on the Kiko.   

I know they have shop etc. overheads but this was just a supply and install of a straightforward system with the customer doing the time-consuming SO stuff himself.  Then the dealer said the old Kiko sounded as good as this new £5k system (albeit pre SO)!

Not a bad life....no wonder he wanted to deliver it asap!

Not complaining, just saying..;)

Yes, all good points.

I have met 5 of Chris at Hidden System’s customers, as well as met Chris himself on a number of occasions.

‘Chris definitely goes the extra mile for his customers and I don’t think the costs of the ferry were much of a concern for him. DavidHB is a valued and very happy client and I suspect that Chris was just as happy to meet up with DavidHB, as he was to deliver the Linn. 

My friends in London that have Chris as their Linn dealer are all very happy with Chris’s dedication to provide the best for his customers  😊 

5 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

Yes, all good points.

I have met 5 of Chris at Hidden System’s customers, as well as met Chris himself on a number of occasions.

‘Chris definitely goes the extra mile for his customers and I don’t think the costs of the ferry were much of a concern for him. DavidHB is a valued and very happy client and I suspect that Chris was just as happy to meet up with DavidHB, as he was to deliver the Linn. 

My friends in London that have Chris as their Linn dealer are all very happy with Chris’s dedication to provide the best for his customers  😊 

Certainly not knocking Chris who deserves his great reputation, was just trying to address Silkie’s surprise as to why a dealer would want to do this. Also David by virtue of his prime system is a top customer so even more reason to hop over the Solent!

• Upvote 1