sprintgtvgus

PS Audio Power Planet Regenerator? worth it??

2 minutes ago, Warszawa said:

Plugging an amplifier into a UPS is bound to degrade the sound. They're designed for computers, not Hi-fi. All you need is a well constructed mains block with a surge suppressor.

Hi,

Yes, this is Hifi.

People can hear things that aren't there.

People can't hear things that are there.

Regards,

Shadders.

• Confused 1

Super Wammer
10 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

Yes, this is Hifi.

People can hear things that aren't there.

People can't hear things that are there.

Regards,

Shadders.

I suggest we all give up then.

• Like 1

i would echo the comments about trying one first . recently popped my 4th isotek syncro in and it reduced the noise floor and made quite an improvement. you could try one of these into a mains block to see if will help at half the cost 

https://www.audioemotion.co.uk/isotek-evo3-syncro-special-edition-mains-cable---2m-24710-p.asp

Super Wammer

The only way you can tell is to try one in the system and see how it is for you,  however, in my personal opinion if when your system is on, with nothing playing, if there is no noise at full volume (or at a higher volume at which you currently listen) then you do not have a problem with noisy mains.   As the old adage goes "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

Is there something about your system that sounds lacking or wrong?  Does it sound great when you play records where you ignore the kit and just get lost in the music?  Unless you are experiencing a problem then you can end up chasing a holy grail which has no definition or identity .. and you can end up chasing your arse most of your life.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Whilst there are evangelists and detractors for regen units. If you really feel you need/ must try a regen unit then a Power Inspired AG1500S is around 1/3rd of the price of the unit your looking at and the AG500 is circa £300 (cheaper used) and at 500w should be more than man enough to run your 3 pieces of kit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CnoEvil said:

I have not got on with Re-generators - so my advice is not to commit, but have the ability to return. The only Mains product I have liked, was an Atlas Balanced Mains Transformer, which they no longer make (due to the price of copper).

Airlink do a similar one 

https://airlinktransformers.com/product/advanced-filter-power-supply-asf3000

for around a 1/3 of the cost of a PS unit inc mains filtering too

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Warszawa said:

Plugging an amplifier into a UPS is bound to degrade the sound. They're designed for computers, not Hi-fi. All you need is a well constructed mains block with a surge suppressor.

How so?

Not having taken apart a computer UPS unit, I would guess that it must have some form of inverter or swps setup to turn the DC battery backup into 240v AC with the inherent potential of generating RFI on the 240v as it does so.

Edited by MF 1000

1 minute ago, MF 1000 said:

Not having taken apart a computer UPS unit, I would guess that it must have some form of inverter or swps setup to turn the DC battery backup into 240v AC with the inherent potential of generating RFI on the 240v as it does so.

But if it only does that when you're about to switch the system off anyway, why is that a problem? The purpose is to prevent damage from unexpected dropout of the power supply and the surge when it comes back on again.

• Like 1

So if it is a pass through system until dropout a UPS is performing no useful mains filtering/surge function ? 

1 hour ago, MF 1000 said:

So if it is a pass through system until dropout a UPS is performing no useful mains filtering/surge function ? 

Wouldn't the circuit that looks for a dropout also be capable of blocking a surge? (I don't know, that's why I'm asking)

This might explain it ....and it looks like a std computer UPS isn’t classed as a primary surge protection device

https://switchon.eaton.com/plug/article/176/ups-vs.-surge-suppressor#

Thanks guys, so it's a long way from unanimous then!!

Just like most things in Audio!

I think I need to try one first, or perhaps go for another upgrade at a later date.

It's a small room and I'm a little restricted for space so i wondered if this neat unit could be tucked away.

At the moment I have a basic surge protected mains block albeit not an audiophile one, with various upgraded mains cables.

On 27/09/2020 at 20:02, Fourlegs said:

The P10 was enormous and weighed a huge amount. It had large heat sink fins both sides. It was about 18 inches square and stood about 8 inches high (all from memory).

Sorry then for my misguided post sir :(

Iam not aware of the actual implementation of the psaudio later regenrators. But from what I had read, the initial ps1200 that I have, used to convert including AC to DC, and then back to AC again to compete remove the power gremlins from the chain. But the later iterations, apparently had a system where the  input power was analysed in real time , and corrected as required with a parallel correction power fed to mingle with the original and correct it. Apparently these were not as good as the original one

But from what you mention about the P10, it definitely seems to be of the original architure that my ps1200 also runs on. And apparently the best around still.

On 28/09/2020 at 09:02, sprintgtvgus said:

Thanks guys, so it's a long way from unanimous then!!

Just like most things in Audio!

I think I need to try one first, or perhaps go for another upgrade at a later date.

It's a small room and I'm a little restricted for space so i wondered if this neat unit could be tucked away.

At the moment I have a basic surge protected mains block albeit not an audiophile one, with various upgraded mains cables.

I had the old P3 and sold it. US mains can be highly variable, but mine in London was only ever ±0.5v. The P3 does not have enough sockets and point downwards so UK plugs need the unit to be raised. It was also large, heavy and quite noisy. 

I now use a Shunyata Venom with Devialet and it is a benefit. Clean power, surge protection and rock solid connections.

The Devialet Expert Pro (from September 2016) has surge protection. 

I use UPS units for my computers and modem, but not audio.

• Like 1