sprintgtvgus

PS Audio Power Planet Regenerator? worth it??

Balanced Mains done right brought it home way more than power regeneration.

Had a loaner PS Audio P20 power regeneration (not cheap...look it up) and a hardwired 10 KVA Airlink balanced mains unit feeding the sockets was a hella lot better.

Regen was good, dont get me wrong, but what balanced mains does (think XLR cancelling out noise) had a much bigger footprint in the overall scheme of things.

Done em both, just my experience for what its worth.

Mains quality is something very fundamental. Put ferrite beads (pennies from Amazon) on all your mains cables for a "Proof of concept"

Ignore the Foo, take care of your mains.

• Like 1

Super Dealer
1 hour ago, Gazjam said:

Had a loaner PS Audio P20 power regeneration (not cheap...look it up) and a hardwired 10 KVA Airlink balanced mains unit feeding the sockets was a hella lot better.

Cool!!

17 hours ago, Gazjam said:

Balanced Mains done right brought it home way more than power regeneration.

Regen was good, dont get me wrong, but what balanced mains does (think XLR cancelling out noise) had a much bigger footprint in the overall scheme of things.

Done em both, just my experience for what its worth.

Mains quality is something very fundamental. Put ferrite beads (pennies from Amazon) on all your mains cables for a "Proof of concept"

Ignore the Foo, take care of your mains.

All those twinkly lights and pointless expensive stuff created the best ever placebo effect. :D

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer

I heard a huge PS regenerator 12 years ago at KL West One in London.  I could not hear any difference in a full ARC system with Wilson Benesch speakers. The dealer thought that something was lost in the performance. 

It seems to me that different people respond to these things in different ways.  If I had that money though I would change other things in your system first.  My personal view is that these type of gadgets are for people who have spent a ton of money on hifi and are trying to get another 1% of performance.

Just now, DomT said:

I heard a huge PS regenerator 12 years ago at KL West One in London.  I could not hear any difference in a full ARC system with Wilson Benesch speakers. The dealer thought that something was lost in the performance. 

It seems to me that different people respond to these things in different ways.  If I had that money though I would change other things in your system first.  My personal view is that these type of gadgets are for people who have spent a ton of money on hifi and are trying to get another 1% of performance.

Those in the know don't bother.

• Upvote 1

Super Dealer
11 minutes ago, Muckplaster said:

Those in the know don't bother.

Because of course equipment ‘should ‘ and usually does have adequate internal power filtration/regulation.

Keith

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

I'm going to state this once, and once only. Two posts have had to be removed.

Anyone who wants to start turning this discussion into personal attacks will be banned permanently.

Edited by rabski

Super Dealer
5 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Because of course equipment ‘should ‘ and usually does have adequate internal power filtration/regulation.

Keith

You are confusing the word 'adequate' with 'optimal'. They are not the same.

By way of illustration, I mention a university lecturer of mine who was discussing regulations and whether they ensured an adequate performance standard. He said that the regulations set out the lowest standard to which one was permitted to stoop and that whilst it was adequate one could reap benefits by achieving a higher performance standard.

Adequate does not mean optimal or best.

• Upvote 2

Super Dealer

Adequate in this case means no audible difference in the output of the device, substantiate your claims , show me the measurements.

Keith

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Adequate in this case means no audible difference in the output of the device, substantiate your claims , show me the measurements.

Keith

:pop:

Super Dealer
12 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Keith

4ft 6 inches.

Now show me yours.

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Keith

Show me yours when playing music!

On 27/09/2020 at 19:07, audio_PHIL_e said:

How so?

Mains regenerators will convert the incoming AC to DC and then invert it back to AC and also reset the sine wave. Most mains supplies are not perfect as regards a stable voltage or a true sine wave but virtually all hifi products are designed and voiced using the normal mains supply so if you place regen in circuit then it's likely it will sound different.

I'm glad I dont care. Lets me just get on with listening to music.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, mr.me said:

Mains regenerators will convert the incoming AC to DC and then invert it back to AC and also reset the sine wave. Most mains supplies are not perfect as regards a stable voltage or a true sine wave but virtually all hifi products are designed and voiced using the normal mains supply so if you place regen in circuit then it's likely it will sound different.

There may be an issue here, because published measurements will most likely not be taken using raw mains.