Linn Trivia Quiz

On 29/09/2020 at 11:17, Phobic said:

am I right in remembering Philbo used to post quite often on the old Linn Forum?

I've got an anniversary LK140 somewhere, haven't seen it in years, keep meaning to sell it. I do know where my Majik sub is though :$

is that enough K400 for you?

image.png.703d225bf6552a72e6e7e0e0b98cd63a.png

Yes, Philbo used to post more often on the Linn Forum.

I think it was a common thing for the Linn engineers to get more involved, interacting directly with the Linn Forum members, which I thought was amazing. Philbo does post on here occasionally.

On 30/09/2020 at 01:54, Gussy said:

Doesn't the torque setting on the 3K Array depend on which speaker you are using...?

I have seen a whole range of suggested torque settings for the 3K array, but have not seen specific torque settings recommended for the 3K array for specific speakers

I am always surprised to find that when I torque the speaker drivers on my speakers and other people’s speakers, how often some of the screws are loose, and need to be tightened

It really does make a difference to sound quality.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

I am always surprised to find that when I torque the speaker drivers on my speakers and other people’s speakers, how often some of the screws are loose, and need to be tightened

Yes, that all settles with time. It's not only with the speakers! When I have a device for a longer period of time, I also tighten the screws in the devices. Of course you have to do this carefully. Here too, differences in sound are immense.

Yes true, when my speakers weren't performing at their best my dealer advised he thought I may have a screw loose. 

• Haha 1

2) Who is the current speaker developer for Linn, and who was the previous speaker designer for Linn? Phil Budd, Phil Hobbs, Dr Ron Crawford (but there might have been someone after Ron but before Philbo) I was not aware of Dr. Ron Crawford, but thank you to Sunbeam

The speaker designer between Ron and Phil Budd was Simon Roper, me!! I designed most of the Komri, Katan, Ninka, Akurate, 328, 318, along with Philip Hobbs.  The 3k array and bass servo were my work.

I haven’t posted here before, occasionally just read occasionally, but couldn’t resist this one to fill in the gap.

I have fond memories of working with Philip and Bill Miller on these products.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

Super Wammer
8 minutes ago, Komri said:

The speaker designer between Ron and Phil Budd was Simon Roper, me!!

Welcome, Simon!  Great to have your contribution.  

1 hour ago, Komri said:

The speaker designer between Ron and Phil Budd was Simon Roper, me!! I designed most of the Komri, Katan, Ninka, Akurate, 328, 318, along with Philip Hobbs.  The 3k array and bass servo were my work.

I haven’t posted here before, occasionally just read occasionally, but couldn’t resist this one to fill in the gap.

Hi Simon, welcome to the HiFi Wigwam

That is quite a legacy you have created. Some of Linn’s most iconic and well loved speakers!!!

Thank you for filling in the gaps for this quiz, and letting us know about your excellent work.

‘I would love to hear more about your work at Linn.

• Like 1

Hello Simon,

Thank you for your willingness to answer a few questions from a loudspeaker designer's point of view.

Is it fair to assume that you have a pair of Linn Komri in a Linn chain in your home? Or do you listen with a different music system now?

Do you see Linn's Exakt technology and Space Optimisation, which were developed after your time with Linn, as trendsetting?

In recent years, many Linn fans have begun to use torque screwdrivers to find the optimum values for tightening the screws for the individual speaker chassis of the speakers to be heard. Especially for loudspeakers that are already a few years old. Here in the forum there are always different views on this. Are there such 'optimal' values from your point of view and a strategy how to find them? Or is it rather the interaction of the individual loudspeaker drivers that counts?
What role do torque values play in the development phase of a loudspeaker?

Best regards

Peter

Edited by Peter_P
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
On 05/10/2020 at 23:54, Komri said:

Interesting!

I'm not aware of 318, 328.  What are they please?

Linn 318 and Linn 328 were active studio monitor speakers with 3-K array and servo-bass.

Linn 318A.jpg

Linn 328A.jpg

• Like 4

Somebody definitely has too much time on his hands.  I'm glad somebody answered most of this before I looked at it to save me the temptation to do so.  A little additional info.

2) I'm pretty sure you missed Martin Dalgleish as the earliest of the speaker designers.

4)  Linn made a special 10th anniversary of the Klimax Solo.  A batch of the first ever black Klimax gear.  A numbered series from 1 to 30 with Ivor's signature.  You had to buy a matching Klimax DS and KK and then could order however many power amps you wanted.  For the 25th anniversary, Linn put those silver round labels on all the gear made that year.  Linn also had a limited edition Klimax system in Caledonian Blue to mark the 10th anniversary of integrated Aktiv speakers (the Artikulat 350 being the first).  10 systems were made.  https://www.basilaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Brochure-FV-small-1.pdf

10)  Nirvana, Valhalla, welded sub chassis, bonded sub chassis, small corner braced plinth, large corner brace plinth, friction hinged dustcover, Cirkus sub chassis, Cirkus bearing, multiple improved bearings before Cirkus, at least 8 generations of spring, several generations of grommet, improved motor mounting, top plate with stud in motor corner, Lingo 1, 2, 3 &4, Keel, Kore, Radikal, Karousel, Trampolin, Trampolin 2, multiple generations of nuts, at least three different suspension bolts, several different armboards, several different base boards before Trampolin.  That's without getting into arms, cartridges and internal phono stages.

13) I'd certainly put the Classik K into that category as it was available in five different colors.

16) ALL cables are directional.  But no, you can't always follow the way the logo points.  Early on Linn didn't pay attention to that and the logos sometimes pointed in the wrong direction.  The way to tell for sure is that the logo should go to the speaker and the E at the end of CABLE should go towards the electronics.  

17)  Not four levels?  Adding Silver Interconnect II and Black Interconnect II.

19)  The K came from Sondek which was a play on sound deck (probably how a Scott would pronounce it).  It stuck and went on to be used for other products.  Note that Linn switched to X for some of the products for a while but then went back to Ks (except for things like Series 5 and 3).

20) Oak whiskey barrels.  Yes, from Highland Park.

23) Basik, Arkiv, Arkiv B, Trak.  Adikt/1, /2 and /3 if you want to get technical (since K18II was listed).

32) To e a little more precise Linn's latest switch-mode power supply technology, I believe the third generation of that type of supply from them.

37) I believe Tony Levin does, or did at one point.

43) it is also not unique within Linn as the CD12 (see 46) preceded it using a clamshell, machined from billet construction.

50) If you are going to get historical, let's do it.  Davaar was preceded by Auskerry, Bute and Cara, all islands in Scotland.  I don'r know why they haven't progressed to Eriska yet.

51) What was Linn's first digital audio product?

Edited by ThomasOK
misspelling
  • Like 1

...all I can add is:

23) Metak (maybe unofficial?)

37) Sharon Stone owned a full throttle System with Klouts and Keltiks back in the days - I was told!

51) Kivor or Numerik [the latter: a unit that was something different than we think of by that name... just a little bell in the back of my head! [don´t ask...])

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ThomasOK said:

I don'r know why they haven't progressed to Eriska yet.

I recall that, on the old Linn forum, somebody from Linn did say that they had considered it when they introduced Exakt capable software with Davaar 50. But the "island" names actually designate the interoperability level of the whole software suite (including the control points and server), and that has not changed since Davaar was introduced. 

David 

3 hours ago, Peter_P said:

Linn 318 and Linn 328 were active studio monitor speakers with 3-K array and servo-bass.

Linn 318A.jpg

Linn 328A.jpg

These speakers look great. Thanks for posting the pictures

I am surprised that Linn didn’t make these more mainstream in their lineup, as they would have been a perfect addition for many stereo and surround setups