Ceko

Turntables: where’s the auto return

I have this Pro-ject Debut record player. Really nice to look at but boy do I miss the auto return feature of yesteryears... I was told they stopped making that because the mechanics would interfere with the sound. Is that a load of BS or is that true? I’d really like to have one...

I would say it's true. It's going to involve a whole barrow load of mechanical stuff directly connected to the tonearm. About the last thing you want.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Super Wammer

no its not true.  I had a Lenco GL78 with auto return and it sounded better than many current turntables.  Depends on how it's implemented.  There will be examples for and against.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, rabski said:

I would say it's true. It's going to involve a whole barrow load of mechanical stuff directly connected to the tonearm. About the last thing you want.

+1

2 minutes ago, DomT said:

no its not true.  I had a Lenco GL78 with auto return and it sounded better than many current turntables.  Depends on how it's implemented.  There will be examples for and against.

Ah, but would the GL78 have sounded even better without?

2 minutes ago, DomT said:

A GL78 has been listed in the Classifieds this morning, a chance to return to your youth.

Super Wammer

I have no idea as my other Lenco was heavily customised.  Many things that were meant to be bad in the 7os and 80s are now considered ok.  Also on this forum it seems that functionality and convenience is winning against what was considered the opposite in the 80s.  

Super Wammer
2 minutes ago, wizmax said:

A GL78 has been listed in the Classifieds this morning, a chance to return to your youth.

Thats a very kind comment as I was well into my 40s when I bought the GL78 but certainly considered myself youthful! :D

• Like 1

nice to have it but do we really need it ?

I have enabled aut off on my nad C316bee but do i really need it since i don't have a big class a amp, no, but nice to have

Well the thing is that I keep forgetting to turn the thing off! I’ve become quite lazy apparently. It would give me some peace of mind I guess if the needle would return itself. But on the other hand, if it’s true that the auto return motor affects sound quality then I’m not going to grief.

3 minutes ago, Ceko said:

Well the thing is that I keep forgetting to turn the thing off! I’ve become quite lazy apparently. It would give me some peace of mind I guess if the needle would return itself. But on the other hand, if it’s true that the auto return motor affects sound quality then I’m not going to grief.

https://www.thequp.com/

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

Here's the next best thing, an auto lonearm lifter, won't turn your deck off (lazy sod) but will save stylus wear. 

Several different ones on fleabay. 

Screenshot_20201004-123845.png

Edited by Lurch
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, gasolin said:

I have enabled aut off on my nad C316bee but do i really need it since i don't have a big class a amp, no, but nice to have

The subject of the thread relates to auto turntables not amplifiers!

11 minutes ago, wizmax said:

The subject of the thread relates to auto turntables not amplifiers!

Do i neeed to aut lift the tone no but it's nice to have

Do i need to have my amp auto turn off, no but nice to have

2 hours ago, gasolin said:

Do i neeed to aut lift the tone no but it's nice to have

Do i need to have my amp auto turn off, no but nice to have

If my amp won’t shut down, there’s no stylus that gets worn down.