Ceko

Turntables: where’s the auto return

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, rabski said:

Ah, but would the GL78 have sounded even better without?

I have never compared the two but the one without was the GL75 :)    Thorens sorted the issue with the 145 with a built in arm lift at the end of a record but no auto return.  As for me - I would hate the facility - the run out groove is a great alarm clock when you have nodded off listening to an LP 

3 hours ago, wizmax said:

+1

+ 2

Super Wammer

Dual used to make excellent automatics, and the popular CS-505 series had auto lift iirc. 

My lovely old Dual CS-601 was a belt driven fully automatic, and the arm was good enough for the standard supplied Shure V15/III.  I later used a Goldring 1006 which is fitted here. They made a direct drive CS-701 too.

0B5B7A60-078E-4874-9BF9-A9B818EF3620.thumb.jpeg.04cb1daf60bfdbdeca233842bb6c53ad.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nopiano said:

Dual used to make excellent automatics, and the popular CS-505 series had auto lift iirc. 

My lovely old Dual CS-601 was a belt driven fully automatic, and the arm was good enough for the standard supplied Shure V15/III.  I later used a Goldring 1006 which is fitted here. They made a direct drive CS-701 too.

0B5B7A60-078E-4874-9BF9-A9B818EF3620.thumb.jpeg.04cb1daf60bfdbdeca233842bb6c53ad.jpeg

Thanks for the suggestion, it’s a great looking player, actually exactly what I’m looking for. I’ll try to hunt one down, is there anything I must be careful with buying second hand?

Super Wammer
4 minutes ago, Ceko said:
1 hour ago, Nopiano said:

Thanks for the suggestion, it’s a great looking player, actually exactly what I’m looking for. I’ll try to hunt one down, is there anything I must be careful with buying second hand

I’d think this one will be very hard to find, as they were pricy for their day, sold in small number, and mine now has a seized motor.  The CS-505 and similar models were very popular, slightly more budget minded, often paired with NAD amps and AR speakers in the stereo boom years pre-CD.  There a quite a few on eBay.  The little speed adjuster worked with a clever segmented pulley and the belt that turns it can rot.  Otherwise, they’re pretty trouble free, though I’d check on Vinyl Engine to research it a bit, as I’m rather rusty on these things!

Super Wammer

@Ceko

Is this any good to you? 

Screenshot_20201004-184630.png

• Like 1

thanks for bringing that up @Lurch but I’ll be searching in The Netherlands only. Very nice player by the way.

Seem to remember there was a turntable that used a photo cell to trigger for the lift mechanism in order reduce any arm limitations. Only problem is I can't remember the make and model but I bet someone on here can. 

Agree that a well done auto return mech is a very useful feature to have (it wasn't sneered at in the 70s).  

I also believe the implementation has a lot to do with it.  I restored a Dual 505 a while back which had a mostly mechanical auto return mech.  Even when properly lubricated, the friction it added to the tonearm movement was significant, you could feel the various levers being pushed as you moved the tonearm.   However the auto return Technics SL-202 I worked on have a feather light movement of the arm with no draggy connection between tonearm and auto return mech.

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, wHIZZY said:

Seem to remember there was a turntable that used a photo cell to trigger for the lift mechanism in order reduce any arm limitations. Only problem is I can't remember the make and model but I bet someone on here can. 

I think there are various Thorens that did this, but going back further the Philips GA212 worked that way I believe. 

Back in my vinyl tt-swapping days I had some Technics auto-return 'tables, and very nice they were, too.  I didn't notice any clunkiness when moving the arm around manually. 

Did I sacrifice some sound quality? Probably, possibly - but they still sounded good and the auto return was seriously cool. The thing with this hobby is that there is always something better, so there's no real point in fretting if you win by getting the functionality you want whilst still retaining good sq. 

• Like 2

One of the reasons I own one of these.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

image.gif.3f27d58a04923fbd73f461900f8367ec.gifThat would be the Garrad DD75, I owned one for a few years. It used a Technics sourced direct drive motor but not the Technics power supply and suffered speed stability problems as a result. The headshell was a flimsy affair too. The  arm just lifted off the record at the end of the side, no arm return.

Garrard DD75 2-Speed Direct-Drive Turntable Manual | Vinyl Engine

Edited by glenhb

Super Wammer
4 minutes ago, glenhb said:

That would be the Garrad DD75, I owned one for a few years. It used a Technics sourced direct drive motor but not the Technics power supply and suffered speed stability problems as a result. The headshell was a flimsy affair too. The  arm just lifted off the record at the end of the side, no arm return.

Garrard DD75 2-Speed Direct-Drive Turntable Manual | Vinyl Engine

Glen, I’m sure it wasn’t intentional, but that wasn’t my quote!  I suggested Philips and Thorens in answer to @wHIZZY’s question.