JamieMcC

Active speakers RCA + balanced input non DAC

I'm interested in having a closer look at models of active speakers that have both RCA and Balanced analogue input any pointers on brands and models for further reading would be appreciated. 

Cheers

Jamie

Thanks that's a good start will take a look at those.

16 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I'm not sure how common it is but I know at least some of the Adam Actives have both inputs.

They do indeed. 

And I see that the T5 is £258 for a pair at Bax (and maybe elsewhere) which seems very reasonable.

The T7 is not much more expensive, but, for what it's worth, at least one reviewer seemed to prefer the T5.

They may be their entry level models but people do seem to like them.

I have a pair of Adam T5's and can fully recommend them. with ribbon tweeters and a 5" mid/bass unit they give a superb performance especially when you consider the cost.

Super Wammer

I have the floor standing Adams Artist  6 . Purchased in excess of 5 years ago.

Great value and sound, the rear panel of the speaker has XLR and RCA inputs

• Like 1

Cheers

Quick thought: are you wanting to be able to switch between the two inputs? Having inputs of both types may typically be intended so that one or the other is used, rather than both.

Yes that's something that is a consideration I was thinking Balanced for dac analogue input and RCA for phono pre input.  I would ideally prefer not go through a source  selector box or passive pre if possible.

I use AE1 active speakers - they have the inputs you want, and I would recommend. I'd drop them an email to check if they'd work in your use far, though - there's something in the manual about not using both inputs at once.

Thinking a bit further up the tree DAC is Chord Dave so speakers must be high in transparency to match.

You’ll find lots of useful information on the ‘active speakers reference’ thread.

You’re obviously using a quality DAC so anything under £1k new might not fit the bill (sure there are exceptions) and some pro actives can be reviewed as sounding too clinical/harsh leading to  ‘listener fatigue’.

There are models that have appeared in the last couple of years, however, that are tremendous. Not sure what your budget is but if it’s £1k to £2k, you’ve got some great speakers to choose from.