kernow

Isolating feet Vs Townshend podium bars

1 hour ago, JANDL100 said:

Re: Sorbothane. It's a while since I bought new domes, but I don't recall any guidance that came with the packaging to specify recommended loading. 

You've mentioned the need for getting this right, do you have any specific information? 

Here you go: 

https://www.sorbothane.com/Data/Sites/31/pdfs/product-guides/Sorbothane-SPG.pdf

Edit: note there is a weight range for optimal performance rather than it being a case of up to some particular weight.

Edited by MartinC
  • Upvote 2

Super Wammer
4 hours ago, Three sheds said:

I don't have a thick solid concrete floor based on the description given earlier in this thread.

I have a concrete screed on top of an insulation slab which rests on a compacted hardcore sub base (extension built in 2009).

I then have a laminate floor which rests on a very thin 2mm foam underlay.

So the presence of a very thin underlay makes the laminate floor feel quite solid - as opposed to bouncy.

So if I stamp my foot on the laminate floor in my listening room, there is a slight boom.

If I repeat this on my tiled kitchen floor or my pine parquet (wood block) floors I get zero boom and they are completely solid (the old part of the house built in 1946).

Previously, when I had the hifi in another room with the pine floor, I always had to protect the soft pine from the spikes, although it seems that driving the spikes into the pine floor was probably the best option SQ wise.

Back to my listening room, the speaker spikes are sat on a slate slab which sits directly on the laminate floor.

Based on everything I've read so far, and from what I have understood, I think I may benefit from isolating the speakers from the floor. :?

If you have your speakers coupled (with spikes) to the slabs and the slabs are heavy enough, that setup should help suppress cabinet vibrations. Isolating them from the slabs and the floor wil change the sound. No-one can tell you whether it will improve or deterioriate the sound quality, though you may welcome educated guesses!

One thing I'll add about Sorbothane is that if the item placed on top has an uneven weight distribution it can end up not being level due to the way the 'feet' compress. My own speakers have more weight towards the back so I deliberately used 5 per speaker rather than 4 when I tried them, so I could keep the speaker more level by having 3 at the back and two at the front.

I wonder how options like the Townshend Podiums fair in the leveling regard beneath uneven loads actually?

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, lostwin said:

Here you go. The first few pages are me flapping around for ideas but I, and others with their own versions, got there in the end.

thanks I did have a read of this thread, I'm not that interested in a DIY project to be honest, I guess my comment was more that the cost of these off the shelf solutions seems very high (so high is smells like snake oil, I said it sorry).

so the question is more about value for money. There are a number of solutions which have been suggested ranging from very cheap, to a few £100, to well over 2 grand given that my speakers weight 55kg each.

I know the usual response of test them and make a value decision yourself, but I'm not about to take a £2000 punt on something.

I'm wondering for those who've tried a few of the options if the gaia/townshend are worth the cost, or actually if something more reasonable is good enough.

Edited by Phobic

4 minutes ago, MartinC said:

One thing I'll add about Sorbothane is that if the item placed on top has an uneven weight distribution it can end up not being level due to the way the 'feet' compress. My own speakers have more weight towards the back so I deliberately used 5 per speaker rather than 4 when I tried them, so I could keep the speaker more level by having 3 at the back and two at the front.

I wonder how options like the Townshend Podiums fair in the leveling regard beneath uneven loads actually?

yes they can slightly be lower at the heavier end if i recall . think i could adjust the feet on the logans to allow for this unequal weight and get the right angle 

you ,ight just see it here , but its not a lot . 39358747681_42bd52ca1c_z.jpg003 by , on Flickr

Edited by hifinutt
  • Like 1

Super Dealer
10 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

If you have your speakers coupled (with spikes) to the slabs and the slabs are heavy enough, that setup should help suppress cabinet vibrations. Isolating them from the slabs and the floor wil change the sound. No-one can tell you whether it will improve or deterioriate the sound quality, though you may welcome educated guesses!

How exactly will spikes do that flashy?

Coupled or isolated will make no difference to the sound quality you hear in your room.

Keith

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Phobic said:

thanks I did have a read of this thread, I'm not that interested in a DIY project to be honest, I guess my comment was more that the cost of these off the shelf solutions seems very high (so high is smells like snake oil, I said it sorry).

so the question is more about value for money. There are a number of solutions which have been suggested ranging for very cheap, to a few £100, to well over 2 grand given that my speakers weight 55kg each.

I know the usual response of test them and make a value decision yourself, but I'm not about to take a £2000 punt on something.

I'm wondering for those who've tried a few of the options if the gaia/townshend are worth the cost, or actually if something more reasonable is good enough.

they are worth every penny , townshend often comes up at bargain prices 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

Yes, it's all a bit of a guess.

My slabs are 22mm thick/high so are not massive, although my seating position (on a large L - shaped sofa) is quite low, so the speakers tweeters are higher than my ears, and by fitting isolating feet and removing the slabs, will lower the speakers slightly.

All good fun and a risky £400 :) 

currently i use these , but never tried the speakers without as they are too heavy !!!! 

49746337016_f769ed0c0e_z.jpgP1070010 by , on Flickr

• Like 3

Super Wammer
3 minutes ago, hifinutt said:

they are worth every penny , townshend often comes up at bargain prices 

thanks for this. When you say bargain prices do you mean offers/sale from retailers or on ebay etc.

any suppliers to look out for?

Edited by Phobic

Super Dealer

Track products are nicely machined but they are ‘ cup and ball’ so direct coupling in the vertical plane.

Keith

Super Wammer
Just now, Three sheds said:

Yes, it's all a bit of a guess.

My slabs are 22mm thick/high so are not massive, although my seating position (on a large L - shaped sofa) is quite low, so the speakers tweeters are higher than my ears, and by fitting isolating feet and removing the slabs, will lower the speakers slightly.

All good fun and a risky £400 :) 

If you order online you have 14 days under distance selling regs to return the goods in the condition they arrived in. I have only ever bought stuff I intended to keep and have never used the regs to return anything. It would be IMHO unfortunate if people were to use the regs extensively to simply hear and return stuff. But if you think there is a realistic chance you'll keep them then as a Plan B it is good to have.

Super Wammer
3 minutes ago, hifinutt said:

currently i use these , but never tried the speakers without as they are too heavy !!!! 

49746337016_f769ed0c0e_z.jpgP1070010 by , on Flickr

What are they standing on: laminate flooring pieces? What are the pieces standing on?

I'm trying to work out what the cups and pieces are for!

3 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

If you order online you have 14 days under distance selling regs to return the goods in the condition they arrived in. I have only ever bought stuff I intended to keep and have never used the regs to return anything. It would be IMHO unfortunate if people were to use the regs extensively to simply hear and return stuff. But if you think there is a realistic chance you'll keep them then as a Plan B it is good to have.

It's not in my nature either to purchase something I did not intend to keep. But you are right, any of the sellers I had in mind would accept a return and refund. 

17 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

How exactly will spikes do that flashy?

Coupled or isolated will make no difference to the sound quality you hear in your room.

Keith

Excuseth me, only those of us who hold The flash in high regard can refer to him as “flashy”; not that I would because I am eyeing up his Kendal pad for a post covid holiday. Not only that but, unlike yours which are abusing, his posts are both informative and amusing - but not necessarily at the same time.

As for your points, such as they are, please inform us of your qualifications for acting like some sort of objectivist messiah - and copy and pasting links to “that” website don’t count!

• Upvote 1