SMEagol

Mighty Ant has passed.

Posted (edited)

Dear all

Sorry to report Anthony (Mighty Ant) has passed away, after a comparatively short illness by his standards. Anyone that knew Anthony knows he hasn't been in the best of health for years now. He was a great friend of mine and we'd speak a couple of times a week. We met via the Wam over the sale of a Step Up transformer, we nicknamed the hamster coffin! with its wooden box, rounded corners and brass plaque - then stayed in touch for years after the sale by phone, being at other ends of the country. He had a great love of Frank Sinatra and was kind enough to send me material I'd never even heard. Watertown was an astonishing album he put me on to. We'd shoot the breeze on hifi and the world and had some great laughs, I'll miss the ready wit, the self deprecating sense of humour, and the support for my own creative projects, and a ready ear when things weren't going so well for me. I hope he's enjoying a long cold beer with Old Blue Eyes. He'll be very much missed indeed. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Next time you're found, with your chin on the ground
There a lot to be learned, so look around

Just what makes that little old ant
Think he'll move that rubber tree plant
Anyone knows an ant, can't
Move a rubber tree plant

But he's got high hopes, he's got high hopes
He's got high apple pie, in the sky hopes

So any time you're gettin' low
'stead of lettin' go
Just remember that ant
Oops there goes another rubber tree plant

Edited by SMEagol
  • Sad 6
  • Upvote 2

Sad news.

Good to see you on The Wam Chris, hope you're doing well.

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

I met him once and from an hour spent chatting stuff I concur with everything you say, a true gent and a life affirming character. Sad news, a good 'un has passed.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Chris that is sad news, please pass on my condolences. How are you doing Chris, it's been along time since the old Scalford days, hope you are keeping well.

• Like 1

Thanks for letting us know Chris , sad news , I know the user name well but not sure if I ever met Anthony , would have done probably if he was at Scalford .

• Like 1

Thanks guys great to see you all on here. I'm okay apart from the black dog of depression sadly. But if the loss of Anthony has taught me anything it's that comradeship brought us together and brought about a great friendship that lasted many years across the miles, and I think it's high time I rejoined the Wam after a long absence. My biggest regret with Anthony was such an unfortunate ultimately solitary decline, after his getting through COVID and being released with little support/assessment from social services. I never had another chance to meet up again, as Christmas was pretty well cancelled for him last year. I still have his present, a wonderful big book, so if anyone on here knew him and was a fan of classic cars I'd like you to have it, so get in touch. 

Edited by SMEagol
  • Like 4

I've been in close contact with Anthony over the last 2 years or so and in particular his recent hospitals stays. Like you Chris I grew fond of him and will miss his unique sense of humour.  In many ways he was an intensely private person and it took him time to open up to me and talking about various private stuff, helped no doubt by the fact I live close by.  We often would be on the 'phone for more than an hour, him either at home or in hospital. Due to his difficult circumstances (health and wife in care) I've been in close contact with his brother and cousin.   His funeral is next week which I will be going to.

• Like 1

It's great to know there was someone nearby with the same interests, and sharing some no doubt memorable times, I'll miss that dry sense of humour. Sadly I cannot make the funeral due to work/covid/distance, but have sent some flowers. When he was in better health we'd speak two or three times a week, but recently I noted that of late reduced greatly in recent months, with his run in with COVID and taking care of Mary's interests, and his diabetes - I said call me if you feel up to it. Still I'll miss that phonecall very much, Sunday at 9pm will be quite poignant. I'm sending my very best to you and everyone, and I'm sure he'll have a memorable send off. Love to Mary and you all. Chris

• Upvote 1

On 10/10/2020 at 14:31, SMEagol said:

Thanks guys great to see you all on here. I'm okay apart from the black dog of depression sadly. But if the loss of Anthony has taught me anything it's that comradeship brought us together and brought about a great friendship that lasted many years across the miles, and I think it's high time I rejoined the Wam after a long absence. My biggest regret with Anthony was such an unfortunate ultimately solitary decline, after his getting through COVID and being released with little support/assessment from social services. I never had another chance to meet up again, as Christmas was pretty well cancelled for him last year. I still have his present, a wonderful big book, so if anyone on here knew him and was a fan of classic cars I'd like you to have it, so get in touch. 

sorry to hear about mighty ant and great to see you back on here 

On 10/10/2020 at 15:50, EdwardLon said:

I've been in close contact with Anthony over the last 2 years or so and in particular his recent hospitals stays. Like you Chris I grew fond of him and will miss his unique sense of humour.  In many ways he was an intensely private person and it took him time to open up to me and talking about various private stuff, helped no doubt by the fact I live close by.  We often would be on the 'phone for more than an hour, him either at home or in hospital. Due to his difficult circumstances (health and wife in care) I've been in close contact with his brother and cousin.   His funeral is next week which I will be going to.

send his family all the best wishes from the wam