Sign in to follow this  
Phobic

Top 10 Greatest Albums of all time

Super Wammer
8 hours ago, Phobic said:

hmm I gave Prefab Sprout - Steve McQueen a try.

I don't get it.

I always preferred from Langley Park to Memphis.

11 minutes ago, myles said:

Paddy McAloon's songwriting genius doesn't hit you the first time....sometimes not even the second time. But it will if you give it a chance.

there you go :)

that actually helps a lot. as I said I struggled with the album, I'll confess though that I had it on semi in the background and it wasn't grabbing me. I think I wasn't listening to it in the right way. Maybe I'll give it another try

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, greybeard said:

I always preferred from Langley Park to Memphis.

And I have moments of fighting between McQueen, Langley and Jordan. It depends on which day of the week it is and the position of Jupiter ascending. It comes back to McQueen though, every time.

• Haha 1

MC5 - Kick out the jams
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme

Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden

Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

LTJ Bukem - Logical Progression

ABBA - Tourist

Nick Drake - Pink Moon

Brian Eno - Music for Airports 

Kraftwerk - Trans Europe Express

Public Enemy - Nation of Millions

Not necessarily my favourite album from each of the artists above and tried to go for a decent cross section of genres.  

edit; Actually looking at the list again it is amazing how similar in spirit and raw attack the first and last albums on the list are. I also seem to have forgotten rock music...

Edited by lostwin
Edit
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, lostwin said:

MC5 - Kick out the jams
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme

Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden

Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

LTJ Bukem - Logical Progression

ABBA - Tourist

Nick Drake - Pink Moon

Brian Eno - Music for Airports 

Kraftwerk - Trans Europe Express

Public Enemy - Nation of Millions

Not necessarily my favourite album from each of the artists above and tried to go for a decent cross section of genres.  

edit; Actually looking at the list again it is amazing how similar in spirit and raw attack the first and last albums on the list are. I also seem to have forgotten rock music...

Really interesting list, I could have picked half of it myself.

not heard any LTJ Bukem, looking forward to giving him a try.

pleased to see someone else choose a rap album!

Genre defining? Wottabout genre-redefining? EG Hendrix's treatment of All along the watchtower or the Byrds' treatment of Mr Tambourine Man ? Not to mention Hendrix on Johnny B Goode or Joe Cocker on Little help from my friends! That's way more exciting

• Like 1

On 16/10/2020 at 15:44, Phobic said:

Really interesting list, I could have picked half of it myself.

not heard any LTJ Bukem, looking forward to giving him a try.

pleased to see someone else choose a rap album!

I think picking a great dance music album is quite difficult as so much of the genre defining tracks came out as singles. The Bukem album itself is actually a collection of tracks from different artists including Bukems own - and very best tracks - that pretty much created the lighter ‘Intelligent’ drum and bass genre. Despite the compilation approach it has a real curated consistency that I think allows it to qualify.

On 16/10/2020 at 15:52, audio_PHIL_e said:

Genre defining? Wottabout genre-redefining? EG Hendrix's treatment of All along the watchtower or the Byrds' treatment of Mr Tambourine Man ? Not to mention Hendrix on Johnny B Goode or Joe Cocker on Little help from my friends! That's way more exciting

great point!

1 hour ago, lostwin said:

I think picking a great dance music album is quite difficult as so much of the genre defining tracks came out as singles. The Bukem album itself is actually a collection of tracks from different artists including Bukems own - and very best tracks - that pretty much created the lighter ‘Intelligent’ drum and bass genre. Despite the compilation approach it has a real curated consistency that I think allows it to qualify.

yeah I struggle with it to be honest, I plumped for Kratwerk as it also talks to the wider electronica scene but to be honest I could easily have another 10 albums in my top 10 list with minimal crossover. really hard to just pick 10!

I don't think I can do this.  My favourite most played albums aren't much like the major albums that Rolling Stone might list as most influential.  In fact I sometimes rail against the "Rolling Stone" simplified history of rock music.  I have an opinion which usually annoys whoever I explain it too.  It ties in with people banging on about Robert Johnson all the time.  I love Robert Johnson but....  I'll enlarge on this another day just to annoy everybody.  xD

Furthermore (sounds a bit pompous!), the top ten albums I'd have listed 30 years ago would be almost entirely different to ten albums I might list today.    

I've just bought 10 double CDs of one of the world's most influential guitarists - and all 20 CDs are pre-war tracks.  C'mon, it's easy peasy, but no prizes. 

Maybe we could have a thread titled "10 most overlooked albums".  

Edited by Don Ruperto

22 hours ago, Phobic said:

great point!

yeah I struggle with it to be honest, I plumped for Kratwerk as it also talks to the wider electronica scene but to be honest I could easily have another 10 albums in my top 10 list with minimal crossover. really hard to just pick 10!

Great dance music, that’s easy, Donna Summer, showing my age now.

Not really into dance music, some of the European stuff is not bad but it’s not really music I listen to. I had a hard time choosing between Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream but I did not consider it dance music.

Edited by StingRay

40 minutes ago, Don Ruperto said:

I don't think I can do this.

it's worth doing it because it makes you think about stuff and takes you off on a bit of a journey

I have an opinion which usually annoys whoever I explain it too.  It ties in with people banging on about Robert Johnson all the time.  I love Robert Johnson but....  I'll enlarge on this another day just to annoy everybody.  xD

I'm intrigued do share!

Maybe we could have a thread titled "10 most overlooked albums".  

why don't you start a thread, that would be a very interesting read

6 minutes ago, StingRay said:

Great dance music, that’s easy, Donna Summer, showing my age now.

Not really into dance music, some of the European stuff is not bad but it’s not really music I listen to. I had a hard time choosing between Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream but I did not consider it dance music.

might not be dance music but I think you could trace lots of dance music back to albums from both of those. Pretty influential groups

5 minutes ago, Phobic said:

it's worth doing it because it makes you think about stuff and takes you off on a bit of a journey

I'm intrigued do share!

why don't you start a thread, that would be a very interesting read

might not be dance music but I think you could trace lots of dance music back to albums from both of those. Pretty influential groups

Never danced to either of them or ever heard them played at a disco. 

Daft Punk is a possibility but there are some French groups which I forget the names of which are pretty good, not keen on DP myself. I like some electronica, such as Loscil and Marconi Union. 

6 minutes ago, StingRay said:

Never danced to either of them or ever heard them played at a disco. 

Daft Punk is a possibility but there are some French groups which I forget the names of which are pretty good, not keen on DP myself. I like some electronica, such as Loscil and Marconi Union. 

I've had a very fun day today working my way down this list listening to the albums that I've not heard.

there's some real crackers on it

https://mixmag.net/feature/the-50-most-influential-dance-music-albums-of-all-time