Sign in to follow this  
Phobic

Alan Zweig explores the eclectic world of record collecting

spotted this on reddit, might be worth a watch

Alan Zweig explores the eclectic world of record collecting. More than that, this a look at the loneliness of being obsessed with a collection and the possible pointlessness of it all.

I'm sure no-one on here is obsessed with collecting records....

• Haha 1

I must say whilst I enjoy the music but it is a solitary slightly selfish pursuit.

I am conflicted by it immensely, and at the end it will have been a waste of time!

But I am sure the cemeteries are full of people who would like to listen to their favourite music.

Apologies for being a miserable g1t

I tried the Zweig film. I got about 15 mins in, then skipped forward, and gave up shortly afterwards.

Too slow, too psychologically halfbaked, mostly unverifiable musings about motivation for collecting records.

Actually I have met a lot of collectors because I do record fairs (as a seller). They are different to hifi people. They have different goals to us. But they dont strike me as batty, no more than someone who spends an inordinate amount of time and money on equipment. Its a free world.

A big interest in buying and keeping records is far less harmful than  drink, drugs and gambling. Ive seen all that - its not pretty.

Jack

• Like 1