Greenstreet or Kore?

58 minutes ago, John76 said:

@masi61,

Thanks for your info.  I assume you purchased the Cirkus version of the GS subchassis which has a thickness around the bearing mount just shy of 2mm.  I was curious if it was thick enough to clamp properly with the Karousel without modification.  I have the pre-Cirkus version GS sub so will need to use the shim for sure.

I'm not entirely for sure. I just don't remember any shim being required. My turntable was original from about 1983 so I'm not sure if it was "Cirkus" or "pre-Cirkus".

16 minutes ago, masi61 said:

I'm not entirely for sure. I just don't remember any shim being required. My turntable was original from about 1983 so I'm not sure if it was "Cirkus" or "pre-Cirkus".

There are two versions of the GS subchassis, I assume the one you purchased was the Cirkus version which has greater thickness around the bearing mount.  I was questioning if it’s thick enough to get proper clamping with the Karousel bearing without the shim that GS has made available just recently, prior to your installation AFAICT.

Edited by John76

1 hour ago, masi61 said:
5 hours ago, John76 said:

Hey Thomas,

Have you installed a Karousel on a GS sub and did either part require any modification?

Thanks!

Hopefully Thomas will pipe in here, but I will say that I went with the Greenstreet subchassis and he did the work. I know he is not a fan but I felt that my for my money, I wanted to try to fit the Radikal (Akurate level) into my budget. So I took my old LP12 that had the Valhalla power supply and the Ittok arm and took out a small loan. I called Thomas O'Keefe and let him know that I wanted to use the Greenstreet. I don't think he was thrilled but he also understood that I was trying to get the Karousel bearing upgrade during the promotion (I had to order minimum $4,000 from Linn). So I elected to purchse 3 things from Linn: 1) Radikal, 2) Adikt MM cartridge to replace my aging K9 & 3) Trampolin kit.

So when he set out to install the new Karousel bearing into the Greenstreet, I do not recall him having to use shims or anything. I know he uses a torque wrench on all the fasteners and for the big nut that holds the Karousel to the precision hole in the sub chassis, I did not observe him remarking that anything extra was required for the installation.

I am still in the "auditioning" stage with my Linn LP12 safely back at home. I imagined that the rigidity afforded by the CNC milled aluminum subchassis. would give the Karousel bearing and my new cartridge the best chance possible to extract musical information from my records. I looked forward to great bass response, hidden detailing being revealed from my favorite recordings, etc... and YES, this is indeed what I have been experiencing.

BTW @sktn77a mentioned David with Greenstreet. I will put a shout out to him and mention that he was great to work with. Their product appears to be very accurately produced and I feel that (for me) it represents a good value. My normal audiophile practice of auditioning only one change in my audio system at a time before making another change got blown out of the water here since I made all these epic changes simultaneously has been intense!

Yes, I installed the Karousel in masi61's LP12 along with the Greenstreet sub chassis, the Radikal and an Adikt.  I'm glad to hear you are happy with the results, as I would expect you to be considering the scope of your improvements.  The Greenstreet sub chassis was a new unit and of similar thickness to a Cirkus sub chassis.  No shim was required and the Karousel fit just fine without any extra effort necessary over installing it on a Linn sub chassis.  By the way, Linn also has a shim that can be used with pre-Cirkus sub chassis.  However, I am not fond of having a piece like this at such a crucial junction point as the bearing mount surface.  So I would highly recommend anyone wanting a Karousel to upgrade any pre-Cirkus sub chassis to at least a used Cirkus one, if not one of one of the current Linn units.

To answer another question brought up earlier, the Keel sub chassis appears to be 2mm thick at the bearing housing mounting surface as well.  The raised lands are very thin, on the order of one or two tenths of a mm, so they have little effect on the total thickness.  So basically it appears that all Linn sub chassis from the Cirkus forward have a thickness at the mounting point of the Karousel of 2mm or very close to it.

Thomas, thanks for the info.  Regarding the Linn shim, where is it designed to go?  Above or below the subchassis?

I haven't had one but I'm pretty sure it would have to be below as that is where the cutout is in the second piece of steel in most pre-Cirkus sub chassis.

• Upvote 1

Just what you need a separate part to create a lossy interface just where it matters most.

Keep it real all these bargain basement jobs are just that do you want a properly designed to work deck or a project it seems like two different ambitions when the music is the most important thing.

All this faffing around and constant discussion about third party party parts seems more stressful than relaxing.

Just my thought.:minikev:

Edited by Mr Kandid

It’s nice to have access to a forum where one can inquire, share and gain knowledge.

I’ll have my hands on the shim soon and go from there.  It’s intended to go on the topside of the subchassis between it and the nut, much like a washer AFAICT.

I’m fairly certain I used three washers in a similar spot when fixing the bearing years ago. It seemed to make sense back then with the aluminum material.  

1 hour ago, John76 said:

It’s intended to go on the topside of the subchassis between it and the nut, much like a washer AFAICT.

Did David say where the shim should be installed?  I guess it will come with some instructions.  Like Tom, I thought it would go on the underside of the Greenstreet.

Topside, which makes sense to me, just under the flange nut, kind of like a washer.  Shouldn’t change the relative position of the armboard/platter to top plate/plinth either AFAICT.

FYI, it may only be needed for the few who purchased the pre-Cirkus GS sub.  The Cirkus version is likely thick enough, which is just shy of 2mm. Try it without the shim first!

Edited by John76

1 hour ago, pdcman said:

To avoid the platter sitting proud of the top plate, it makes more sense to place it underneath.

If you have the Cirkus version of the GS sub, and you go from Cirkus bearing to Karousel, the platter relationship with the top plate should remain the same with or without the shim, AFAICT.

It’s only when changing from a pre-Cirkus bearing to a Cirkus or Karousel does it make a difference which is very rare as few are still using pre-Cirkus subchassis or intend to use one with the Karousel.

Edited by John76