Griff500

PMC - Twenty5.24 vs Fact 8

8 minutes ago, hificricketboy said:

Yup. It was an option previously.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It was indeed. I was thinking of giving the current system to my Mum.

The Arcam doesn't have XLR outputs.

Edited by Griff500

Super Wammer
2 minutes ago, Griff500 said:

The Arcam doesn't have XLR outputs.

It’s quite easy to get phonos to XLRs made up.  (I have some from my second disc player into my amp, simply to use up my balanced inputs).  Longer-term you’ll presumably change your (pre)amp anyway?

I think more important is to try out a wider range of music and for a longer period of time. We’ve all heard kit that sounds great upfront but long term just grates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

Longer-term you’ll presumably change your (pre)amp anyway?

Or shorter term...

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, High 5 said:

What pre-amp and source(s) were used with the SCM40A’s in the demo?

Auralic Aries G1.

• Like 1

Sod it... SCM40A ordered. :P

If I feel in future that I made a mistake then I promise to come back here and let you know so you can say "I told you so", but I really don't think that will happen. I'll let you all know if it does though!!

Now to decide on which DAC and preamp, either combined (most likely) or components. 

I probably need a new thread, as this one went off-topic in pretty much every way, other than being about speakers... xD

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Griff500 said:

Now to decide on which DAC and preamp, either combined (most likely) or components. 

My advice, which I suspect @Nopiano wouldn't argue with - is to consider a second hand Linn Akurate DSM, which can at some point be upgraded with the Katalyst option and thus be considered a new item with a 5 year warranty.

Edited by CnoEvil
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Griff500 said:

If I feel in future that I made a mistake then I promise to come back here and let you know so you can say "I told you so", but I really don't think that will happen. I'll let you all know if it does though!!

I probably need a new thread, as this one went off-topic in pretty much every way, other than being about speakers... xD

You won't regret it I promise

I'd personally look for a very good dac now with preamp function etc.

If I were you I'd be ordering a topping d90

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Iceman 16 said:

Don’t know exactly why people buying speakers with not enough bass and adding a sub? Just buy speakers with enough bass!:wall:

Because smaller speaker image better, you can tune the bass to the room and they don't dominate the room quite the way big speakers do. Most 'big' speakers don't do less than 25hz anyway, unless you spend a fortune.

8 minutes ago, Bokke said:

If I were you I'd be ordering a topping d90

It's perhaps worth highlighting there are MQA and non-MQA versions but neither is cheap by Topping standards.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
12 hours ago, Griff500 said:

Auralic Aries G1.

I think that is a DAC-less streamer, or bridge as they call it.  Was there therefore a DAC somewhere else in the chain?  TBH I’d ask the supplying dealer’s advice, with a rough budget in mind.  Auralic and LUMIN have a good following.  As @CnoEvil said above, I’d agree with a Linn streaming preamp, DSM in their terminology. That is what I have in the Akurate DSM, without the £1800 upgrade called Katalyst.  Somewhere under £4500 should get you that, including the upgrade and the new warranty. My plan is for the Actives plus the Katalyst. 

Did you ever hear the PMCs or anything else, or perhaps you just decided to get the best straight from the off?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Griff500 said:

Couildn't you use your Arcam A38 as a preamp?

2 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

I think that is a DAC-less streamer, or bridge as they call it.  Was there therefore a DAC somewhere else in the chain?

Good point :).

13 minutes ago, MartinC said:

It's perhaps worth highlighting there are MQA and non-MQA versions but neither is cheap by Topping standards.

Ja non mqa is about £100 cheaper depending on the site. So about £550 expensive for a topping but this guy is going to save you a lot in sound quality/operation. I've personally had very good results running my benchmark dac3 as preamp straight into ATC but they are expensive and imo the topping is better.

Another good shout would be the RME dac as it has eq and dsp etc can't go wrong

Edited by Bokke