wHIZZY

Do routers influence sound quality when streaming

I am not sure I would like to have a wireless transceiver in or close to my DAC.

I use Mesh Wi-Fi and the node to which my PC/streamer/player is linked sits a 1.5 m away from the DAC. And there's a network switch between the node and the PC.

Used to have an all-wired network before I moved to the current house but this sitting room is too small and the HDD noise inside the NAS is too obtrusive.

57 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

All analogue cables are screened - the outer conductor acts as the screen (0volts/ground). Unshielded ethernet cables will transmit EMI, as do all wires that conduct electricity, but the energy in the EMI transmission is very low due to the low voltages used and low currents consumed.

I should have said, i was using your post as a reference point, not replying to you specifically.

Regards,

Shadders.

Even if you screen unbalanced analogue cables, "Screening an unbalanced circuit doesn't stop interference from magnetic fields , as generated by transformers, motors or other electrical devices."

Many analogue cables are unbalanced.

9 minutes ago, rabski said:

My desktop is two partition walls and a solid brick wall away, but with a Netgear adaptor I'm getting about 175Mb wireless.

You are fortunate. Our house is a new build, partition walls are plasterboard over wooden stud work filled with wood wool insulation, and they seem to attenuate like crazy.

7 minutes ago, rabski said:

It's not that long ago when I was living in the middle of nowhere and could manage about 1Mb wired on a good day. And that was after raising hell with BT and having them come out and redo all sorts of stuff.

About the one joy of Virgin is that we've got cable here, and to be fair, it's lightening fast.

I don't live in the middle of nowhere but it is not near a city or large town. Even living about 2 miles from a city centre can make considerable difference to broadband speeds, no cables in many areas. 

Edited by StingRay

3 minutes ago, StingRay said:

Even if you screen unbalanced analogue cables, "Screening an unbalanced circuit doesn't stop interference from magnetic fields , as generated by transformers, motors or other electrical devices."

Many analogue cables are unbalanced.

Hi,

Do you have the reference for that quote "Screening an unbalanced circuit...... ". Thanks.

With interconnects the outer conductor, which is usually a screen in construction is connected to 0volts/ground, as would the screen of a cable. They are the same thing.

With a balanced connection, there is still a screen, and it too is connected to the 0volts/ground.

Regards,

Shadders.

4 hours ago, rabski said:

It's not that long ago when I was living in the middle of nowhere and could manage about 1Mb wired on a good day. And that was after raising hell with BT and having them come out and redo all sorts of stuff.

About the one joy of Virgin is that we've got cable here, and to be fair, it's lightening fast.

We can't get fibre as we are a direct line ti the exchange, rather than a street box, odd but true. Anyways, had always had BT but speed dropped from 15mb to no more than 4mb recently - less using wireless. BT told me that was the fastest we could get, other ISP's promised upto 8mb guaranteed, BT told me that wasn't possible. I changed to Talk Talk and lo and behold we've had 6 weeks at 15mb again. I can only assume BT are capped at the exchange due to not purchasing enough capacity from Openreach. 

Super Wammer

Your lucky, my mate who lives 1.2 miles from the box just outside Ledbury, gets a down load speed of 2.7mb if he's lucky but generally it's 1.7mb. His upload speed between 8am & 10pm is generally 0.4mb rising to 0.8mb during the night. 

He's currently having some good rows with BT, regarding what he's paying for and what he actually gets. 

1 hour ago, Headcoat said:

We can't get fibre as we are a direct line ti the exchange, rather than a street box, odd but true. Anyways, had always had BT but speed dropped from 15mb to no more than 4mb recently - less using wireless. BT told me that was the fastest we could get, other ISP's promised upto 8mb guaranteed, BT told me that wasn't possible. I changed to Talk Talk and lo and behold we've had 6 weeks at 15mb again. I can only assume BT are capped at the exchange due to not purchasing enough capacity from Openreach. 

Where we are, the population density is so low that it wasn't worth BT installing street cabinets - most of the properties outside the villages are direct exchange lines, so likewise no fibre. We get around 5 megs download on BT and there are no other providers that have equipment in the exchanges, so the only real alternative is 4G assuming you get a good enough signal. We've ended up with a 4G router built into a dish antenna that points at Colonsay (20 miles away) which gives us between 60 and 90 megs download and about 1/3 of that upload. The SIM gives unlimited data. Still got the BT connection for backup because we do get the occasional outage on the 4G.

23 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Your lucky, my mate who lives 1.2 miles from the box just outside Ledbury, gets a down load speed of 2.7mb if he's lucky but generally it's 1.7mb. His upload speed between 8am & 10pm is generally 0.4mb rising to 0.8mb during the night. 

He's currently having some good rows with BT, regarding what he's paying for and what he actually gets. 

I’m with BT as well, before lockdown speed was about 34mb, but recently it has only been around 24 but today it’s back upto 33. Not sure what is going on. 

Openreach is part of BT. 

16 minutes ago, StingRay said:

I’m with BT as well, before lockdown speed was about 34mb, but recently it has only been around 24 but today it’s back upto 33. Not sure what is going on. 

Openreach is part of BT. 

It is, but all ISP's go via Openreach's lines at the exchange. Same lines and Talk Talk provide me with 15mb, guaranteed 8mb; BT can only guarantee 3.7mb and now deliver just that. Only explanation I can think of is limiting speeds from BT, only reason I can think of for that is they don't lease enough capacity from Openreach - if that makes any sense. 

19 minutes ago, StingRay said:

Openreach is part of BT. 

More people back at work means less sharing of bandwidth?

30 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

Where we are, the population density is so low that it wasn't worth BT installing street cabinets - most of the properties outside the villages are direct exchange lines, so likewise no fibre. We get around 5 megs download on BT and there are no other providers that have equipment in the exchanges, so the only real alternative is 4G assuming you get a good enough signal. We've ended up with a 4G router built into a dish antenna that points at Colonsay (20 miles away) which gives us between 60 and 90 megs download and about 1/3 of that upload. The SIM gives unlimited data. Still got the BT connection for backup because we do get the occasional outage on the 4G.

That's not good. There are street cabinets around here, one about five minutes walk, that are now super fast fibre. Unfortunately for us we are direct line to exchange so missed out. Makes me recall that our BT speeds on ADSL2 dropped at the time the fibre was put in. 

Edited by Headcoat

1 minute ago, Headcoat said:

It is, but all ISP's go via Openreach's lines at the exchange. Same lines and Talk Talk provide me with 15mb, guaranteed 8mb; BT can only guarantee 3.7mb and now deliver just that. Only explanation I can think of is limiting speeds from BT, only reason I can think of for that is they don't lease enough capacity from Openreach - if that makes any sense. 

I don’t know, it’s nearly all BT here not much choice, guarantee is 18mb I think. I may move to EE as cheaper and see what speeds I get. 

6 minutes ago, StingRay said:

I don’t know, it’s nearly all BT here not much choice, guarantee is 18mb I think. I may move to EE as cheaper and see what speeds I get. 

Yep, Talk Talk costs me half the price. BT had been creeping the cost up year on year, I took my eyes off the ball and was shocked how much cheaper others were.

8 minutes ago, StingRay said:

ps if you're on the old ADSL2 rather than fibre you won't realistically get any better than 18mb.