wHIZZY

Why is music so important in your life

52 minutes ago, tuga said:

Not a fan of background music though, quite the contrary. I wouldn't mind if it was made illegal to play music in restaurants, shops and other public spaces.

I mostly agree! I (used to) go to restaurants to talk to friends and romantic partners, and often asked for the music to be turned down just a little. I sometimes play music in the car - just the radio if there's anything interesting. I NEVER wear earphones outside. I'm a big fan of ambient noise and often don't play music during the day. The constant sound of ambulances at the moment is a bit gruesome, however. 

Edited by pmcuk
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, pmcuk said:

Wiki: Background noise or ambient noise is any sound other than the sound being monitored (primary sound). Background noise is a form of noise pollution or interference. Background noise is an important concept in setting noise levels.

Background noises include environmental noises such as water waves, traffic noise, alarms, extraneous speech, bioacoustic noise from animals, and electrical noise from devices such as refrigerators, air conditioning, power supplies, and motors. (end Wiki)

The above may be true in some cases where you don't want certain noises, but ambient sounds are the very fabric of human and animal life. Absolutely indispensable and endlessly fascinating. Messiaen wrote a lot of his music around birdsong, for instance. And that's just the birds. The sounds of children playing are often touchingly beautiful. 

Edited by pmcuk

1 hour ago, tuga said:

Not a fan of background music though, quite the contrary. I wouldn't mind if it was made illegal to play music in restaurants, shops and other public spaces.

I agree with this, and the other thing I've noticed these days is that radio DJs often seem to have a 'bed' of music playing in the background as they talk, which irritates the hell out of me.

Why is music so important in my life ? Not sure it is , I mean I like it , I've listened to it all my life , I remember The Beatles being important to me , I was 6 when Twist and Shout came out of the radio and the world around me changed and The Beatles being the only thing that mattered . In the early '70s I had a thing about Emerson Lake and Palmer , I drifted away from music in the '80s , picked it up again in the early 90s when I was working with a younger group of people and there where a lot of rock bands I latched on to , I got my first proper hi-fi at the same time and have been full on since then .

• Like 4

Good beer, wine, food, walking in the countryside, in the hills, along the coast, being with my handful of proper friends, and listening to music. All are equally important in achieving contentment and utter joy. This is the stuff that makes us whole. And of course owning loads of cool hi fi 😉.

• Like 1

• Haha 1

Have tried this 3 times and gave up because it turned into a history lesson rather than answering the question.

It just is and I cannot understand people who don't like it.  

There that's the best I can do!!

Edited by toms wait
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The very first thing we hear in existence is a beat and a rhythm. It's ingrained in us and music probably brings us back there on some level.

Diversity in musical preference came about as we became more aware of other sounds, and was influenced very much by our mothers diets. Light salad, jazz. Curry, death metal.

2 hours ago, Klassik said:

This one has some weight to it.  :oxD

Angas must have head injuries after all the years of head banging xD

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, EddieRUKidding said:

Angas must have head injuries after all the years of head banging xD

Does that also explain another Scottish-born Australian musician, Jimmy Barnes?  xD

Perhaps OP should ask how music can still be important in one's life after hearing Jimmy Barnes in this piece of recent Australian music (Jimmy's part starts at around the 2:20 mark).  :o:o  After hearing this, I wouldn't be surprised if people pack up their Hi-Fi and put it up for sale.  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"The English may not like music, but they absolutely love the noise it makes"

Thomas Beecham

That sums me up pretty well.

• Like 2

On 12/10/2020 at 12:17, wHIZZY said:

Why is music so important in your life.

This is a question on two levels - First why you like art? or second; why particularly music.  My perspective is that I like art in general - Shakespeare, Joseph Conrad, WB Yeats; Vermeer, Leyden, van Gogh, Gaugin, Cezanne; Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky, Maxim Gorki, Katherine Mansfield.  But my particular love is music.  In my twenties and thirties it was all the powerful and intellectual stuff, think Beethoven, Brahms, Strauss, Britten, Stravinsky. 

To answer the question: I am sensitive to art and music makes me the most sensitive.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2020 at 16:16, JANDL100 said:

It stops me from wanting to watch TV. 

This is a very sad answer but one that I approve 100 percent.  In my humble opinion TV is a mild evil.  My wife and I watch 'Tattoo Fixers' every week.  The tackiness is so bad that it is good.

I haven't watched telly since I left the family home 45 years ago. It's always been music for my entertainment. 

• Like 2