wHIZZY

Why is music so important in your life

2 hours ago, JANDL100 said:

I haven't watched telly since I left the family home 45 years ago. It's always been music for my entertainment. 

I'm a bit of a telly addict - crime detective stuff mostly, all the usual whodunnits. That's "entertainment". 

Since I'm a musician and spend a lot of time writing and arranging, music is often "work". This explains why I'm so fond of ambient noise. It's very relaxing, though still interesting in many ways. It's the sounds of life on earth.  

Aye, the Mrs loves her "bodies" on the TV, as she calls the whodunits that she's addicted to. 

Thankfully she has her own den to watch the blessed things in, and I have my music room. 

We plan a meetup at least once a fortnight, by prior arrangement. :P

Edited by JANDL100
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, JANDL100 said:

Aye, the Mrs loves her "bodies" on the TV, as she calls the whodunits that she's addicted to. 

Thankfully she has her own den to watch the blessed things in, and I have my music room. 

I presume you meet in neutral gound? :whistle:

48 minutes ago, JANDL100 said:

Well I like a good dose of “bodies”, particularly when Emilia Fox is poking about in them, puts me in the mood for a some nice violent Beethoven or Shostakovich before calming down with a Bach Cello Suite. My late lamented pussy cat used to stay in his bedroom for the Shostakovich but came downstairs and sat on my lap for the Bach.

Why is music so important to me? I’m reminded of something Edward Weston, one of the worlds greatest photographers, said. If you could explain a Bach fugue you would explain away its very reason for existence.

• Haha 1

Firstly, TV is soooo s##t. Second, music is all around us: Car, van, supermarket, restaurant, alarm clocks wake you to sound Ronan Keating... and music is used for therapy and for youngsters at playgroups... 

As John Miles sang in the mid-1970s: "Music was my first love, and it'll be my last. Music of the future and music of the past. To live without my music, will impossible to do. In this world of trouble, my music pulls me through."

Super Wammer

Music is the diary of my life.   

When I play the music I have collected I can remember the time and things I was doing when I bought the album.   It puts me in touch with my emotions - it can make me feel happy (when I want to be happy) and make me feel sad (when I want to be sad). 

Music is my constant companion and enriches my life in so so many ways heightening every emotion and makes me remember, makes me smile, makes me shed a tear - makes me want to move - to conduct - to air guitar and drum - it is the best friend you will ever have..

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, pmcuk said:

I'm a bit of a telly addict - crime detective stuff mostly, all the usual whodunnits. That's "entertainment". 

Have you watched the The Bridge, it is Swedish/Danish series, that's about the only one I watch but it's a bit samey after a few series.

On 12/10/2020 at 00:17, wHIZZY said:

Why is music so important in your life.

I don't know, but my mum says that even when I was a baby I would concentrate and listen whenever someone played the piano or put a record on the record player. I do listen to HiFi but thats mainly to ensure that I get to hear all of the music, which is the real reason for having HiFi. I've enjoyed playing guitar, keyboards, and bass in various bands. I've even taught music for a while. It's a big thing, but the older I get the more inclined I am to be content to sit and listen. I bet I couldn't lift a 4x12 into a van now if I tried.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StingRay said:

Have you watched the The Bridge, it is Swedish/Danish series, that's about the only one I watch but it's a bit samey after a few series.

I've watched all of Vera, Poirot, Marple, Silent Witness, Ruth Rendell and nearly all the series on Ch.4 Walter Presents, which are some of the best series in Europe. Loads more besides. On Midsomer Murders at present. Did all the YouTube stuff I could find like Perry Mason, Nero Wolfe, Homicide: Life on the Street, Maigret in French etc. I'm a proper junkie. 

I've always known music was important right from my youth when my parents would fill the house with music from the radiogram with its autochanger mechanism dropping records from musicals one after the other onto the platter.  I also vividly recall the joyous moment I heard the Beatles for the first time at my friend's house when his older sister put on Twist and Shout and we all started dancing around the room. So it was no suprise that when first married we almost immediately became proud owners of a music system. Over the years many systems have come on gone and music has always remained high on the agenda. 

However, when listening the other evening and realising just how much enjoyment I have got from  both live and recorded music over the years I found myself wondering what made it so important and why it gave me so much pleasure and how it affected others.  In the end I simply decided for me it's about its ability to lighten the mind and make the body and soul want to dance and cause the world to seem that little bit brighter. It's simply just magical. 

Thanks for all the interesting replies.

• Like 1

On 13/10/2020 at 16:40, uzzy said:

Music is the diary of my life.   

When I play the music I have collected I can remember the time and things I was doing when I bought the album.   It puts me in touch with my emotions - it can make me feel happy (when I want to be happy) and make me feel sad (when I want to be sad). 

Music is my constant companion and enriches my life in so so many ways heightening every emotion and makes me remember, makes me smile, makes me shed a tear - makes me want to move - to conduct - to air guitar and drum - it is the best friend you will ever have..

that is just what I was going to say.

Makes you remember lovers, would be lovers (ahem:whistle:), places, times, events (good and bad), holidays, that's why it is used at weddings and funerals and parties etc

• Like 1

Apologies for the heaviness.

Having had mental health probs for 40 years, if it hadn't been for music - and, tbh, hifi messing - I wouldn't be typing this now.

It hasn't kept me on an even keel, but it has been a constant source of joy when I most needed it.

And it has kept me going in the worst moments.

Couldn't do without it.

• Like 3

On 13/10/2020 at 12:16, plasticpenguin said:

Firstly, TV is soooo s##t. Second, music is all around us: Car, van, supermarket, restaurant, alarm clocks wake you to sound Ronan Keating... and music is used for therapy and for youngsters at playgroups... 

As John Miles sang in the mid-1970s: "Music was my first love, and it'll be my last. Music of the future and music of the past. To live without my music, will impossible to do. In this world of trouble, my music pulls me through."

TBH, I'd rather sell a kidney than sell my current kit.

26 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

TBH, I'd rather sell a kidney than sell my current kit.

Oh dear, I had to read that one twice.  I initially thought you wrote kilt!  :o

• Haha 1

I can't answer the question with any certainty. My father was musician so it could be hereditary. Growing up, there was always really good music playing in the house (especially at bed time) so maybe it's due to the environment I grew up in. But then my brother isn't really into music much at all so maybe it's neither of those. Who knows. Whatever the reason might be, I can't deny that music is very important to me and my stickiest attachment by far. In my twenties, I spent long periods of time travelling and living away from home, sometimes going up to a year without watching TV or reading a book or playing videogames and I didn't miss them at all, yet, despite having my favourite tunes on my walkman and using it every day, I really missed hearing music played loud through a proper stereo system. Music moves me in ways that other forms of art/entertainment don't. Not even poetry.