Aye...

Yeah, could end up a bit breezy down there xD

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, EddieRUKidding said:

Yeah, could end up a bit breezy down there xD

Double glazing is a must.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Music stops me getting bored and dist...

• Like 1

Super Wammer

So many good replies here, and I can identify with lots of them. As a kid I can remember always playing music, mainly my motley collection of 7" singles on a variety of horrendous portable players. My parents weren't particularly what I'd call music lovers, they didn't have a very big collection and most of what they did have never saw the light of day. Both my grandfathers enjoyed their music (one military music, the other Frank Sinatra mainly) but again, neither of them regularly played anything at home. So it's not as though I was heavily influenced by anyone in the family. No-one played a musical instrument. But yet I was drawn to music like a moth to a flame and rarely a day went by without me indulging that love.

I can recall many occasions when music connected with me on a deeply emotional level, making me sing my little heart out, cry, dance like a lunatic... (oh wait - that still happens! :D) I think that's still the reason why I love music so much, it moves me. Nothing else I do or enjoy has quite the same influence, although good food comes close. Music is ingrained in my mind as a memory that's so much stronger than anything else. When I close my eyes and try to picture the face of a friend or even family, I get a vague sort-of image. If I try to remember how much my knees ached after running the London marathon, I get a vague sensation of how it was. Flavours, colours, smells... all approximate memories of the experience. But I can hear a song in my head note for note, tone for tone, recite it to myself, sing it out loud. I can probably count on one hand the number of days in a year when I don't wake up with a "song du jour" (a.k.a. "earworm") floating around my mind - sometimes it's something I heard on the radio the day before, sometimes I might not have heard it for months or years, but something makes it pop into my conscience. And of course I HAVE to listen to it as soon as possible, or it haunts me all day!

The sheer pleasure that comes from all the many moments spent with music cannot be overstated. Cosy nights on the sofa with a bottle of red and the latest purchase on the Voyd, a really good gig (rare, unfortunately in my experience but so worthwhile when it happens), watching the world rush past the window on a train with my headphones on, matching a particular song to a significant event...

Music affirms life. 

• Like 3

After a hard days graft, go in my den, turn on system, grab a beer, put on this weeks latest music purchase.....what is not to like.:cool:

• Like 2

Music meant absolutely nothing to me for a long time. I cared about hi-fi but for the reproduction of drama and comedy, not music. At fifteen, I would have had a cassette and record collection that was entirely spoken word.

In my mid to late teens, I made the crossover in to listening to music. Stereo was important because it was the visceral feeling of listening to stereo music that eventually taught me its value. 

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Music has been a part of me for more than 50yrs ..age 9 listening to my late great uncle as a session drummer for well known dance bands of the 60s..listening to his state of the art radiogram playing James Last and the like ...move on a couple of years and my parents split up and I spent a lot of time at my uncles with a full Quad set up ..age 18 first wage brought a pioneer SA706 and Wharfedale speakers direct from wharfdales demo lab with a Strathclyde TT ..had this for quite a while as I forged my career in coatings technology..specifically lacquers for speakers... was technical service on wood lacquers and visited all the major manufacturers of speakers in the late 70s and early 80s.. had several wharfdale speakers from their labs.. the last pair being the E70s ..sadly my uncle passed away very young and his wife gave his system to me...Still have his 405 ...

For me listening to music has always been about creating the perfect relaxing atmosphere...Start with the right room and  platform and build from there ...I’m not techie by any means and soldering a binding post is about my limit ..leave the circuit boards and valves to those who know what they’re doing ..What I do know is the physics and structure of materials and their action and reaction to sound..and of course wood finishing ..My journey has culminated recently with my definitive end system built around a purpose made unit to display and house it...I smile every time I put some music on,,a tribute to a kind uncle who started me on the journey to enjoy music at its best ....

On 19/10/2020 at 10:19, Nativebon said:

Most importantly these days, keeps me sane in a world that's currently gone bonkers. 

Very much this!

I've always loved music, as a child my dad used to be into his seperates and vinyl (he had a Trio stack system, remember those?), and I remember being completely smitten with vinyl records and watching the little EQ/spec analyser lights dancing as the music played.

My dad's lost interest now, but I still love it. I love both the music itself, but I'm a bit of a techie so I'm interested in the gadget side of it too.

If I hadn't had good music during this year I'm sure I would have gone crackers! I've even got the Mrs into it now!

• Like 1

Think, also, music is in the blood in my case. We never had a TV until the late 60s so it was music on the radiogram or nothing. 

Like an alcoholic needs his daily fix, I need music of some description.