pmcuk

Your valve amps - what do you like most?

7 hours ago, Juancho said:

The best you'll get IMO is a Radford sta100 converted to run KT120s. It's quite a cheap and easy conversion. You can also run KT150s after conversion but personally I prefer the 150. The conversion increases the heater supply but I leave overall dissipation the same so you end up with a 100 watts a channel push pull amp that is not stressing its tubes

Any more news on the development of a small run of your own version of these David? In the post above I believe I am right In thinking that you prefer the KT120’s - was this a typo?

1 hour ago, aejoker said:

Here's my glass bottled beauty , John Wood Audio KT88 integrated , no matter what I put on either end of it , it just makes me smile 🙂

AFFIX_20201015_165603.jpg

Snap, same here. Which KT88’s and 6SN7’s are you using?

9 hours ago, JANDL100 said:

Viva 300p - a perfect match for the Snell A1 speakers owned by Phil 'The Count'

IZoJlmx.jpg

0iRYqX4.jpg

Mmm, as I run a similar pair of speakers this has got my attention. Seem pretty rare on the s/h market and most of their designs are SET whereas I think this was PP. Definitely on my radar now, thanks.

Super Dealer
14 minutes ago, lostwin said:

Any more news on the development of a small run of your own version of these David? In the post above I believe I am right In thinking that you prefer the KT120’s - was this a typo?

Hi Richard,

Hopefully you got my e mail about Will being I'll for a while. I'm in his hands so the project's paused for the moment. Meanwhile I've bought a stereo sta100 which I'm tweaking and comparing to the monoblocks as folk were 50:50 split between a stereo version and monoblocks. Yes, I do prefer kt120s to 150s in the Radfords. Probably a better fit for the output txs. But a client of mine preferred the 150s in an sta100 I converted for him, so tastes differ!

David

22 minutes ago, lostwin said:

Mmm, as I run a similar pair of speakers this has got my attention. Seem pretty rare on the s/h market and most of their designs are SET whereas I think this was PP. Definitely on my radar now, thanks.

Yes, push pull 300Bs, Phil was a bit 'off piste' that I hung on to the Viva amp for several months before selling it to him to use with his Snells. :)

One of the best synergies I have heard. 

Edited by JANDL100

Super Wammer
21 hours ago, Lurch said:

Yep. My Mk1 Icon Audio MB845SEs are 90wpc the Mk2s are 110wpc.

Doge 9s @yoda900 has a pair I think, bought from Chelsea Dave, they have upto 250wpc I believe. 

cTEdO2KlV1Obwy8ZiQ-3.jpeg.9ef15b86f4f97e074499b1bb3b441960.jpeg

Here they are. Whilst capable of being immensely powerful I prefer them running in Class A at 25W  PP with the lowest feedback. Liquid midrange and surprising bass even on that setting. Auto biasing as I'm not going anywhere near the voltages of a 211!  Quite large and Very Heavy hence them being placed on trolleys to allow them to be moved. SJS heard them and did not find them offensive which is a better opinion than of most amps that are not SE.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JANDL100 said:

Graaf 5050 OTL .... and its friend, a musclebound Yammie.

rTc4O0i.jpg

I seem to remember we swapped amps for a week or something, and that you brought that graaf over when I still lived in London, is that right Jerry? 

Super Wammer

A rubbish low res photo of my Audio research LS25 mk2 and VS115 in 2008.  The best sounding amp that I have ever owned; but it should have been at that price!

https://www.arcdb.ws/model/VS115

https://www.arcdb.ws/model/LS25

DSC_0225.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lostwin said:

Snap, same here. Which KT88’s and 6SN7’s are you using?

Hi Richard , Currently on Shuguang  Kt88s which sound fine .I recently had an issue with intermittent noise which I traced to one of the original Sovtek 6SN7s that was on it's way out so I've replaced them with JJ Teslas. Initially I thought they were a bit bland but after a burn in they've settled in & opened up nicely. It's certainly made me think about trying some others just to see the differences , probably more of an excuse for a bugger about to be honest .

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Psilonaught said:

I seem to remember we swapped amps for a week or something, and that you brought that graaf over when I still lived in London, is that right Jerry? 

Hah, yes - that seems a long time ago! 

Super Wammer

And the best looking amp that I have ever owned; sorry it's such a rubbish photo.  Why is it that valve amps look so cool?  And I have been very jealous of a lot of the huge valves in this thread. Leben CS300SX

image.thumb.png.a4d84fb3cce70a0ad6ef07c3fa0f21a4.png

Edited by DomT
To add name of amp Leben CS300SX

Almost any AN300B/E based system 

16 hours ago, yoda900 said:

SJS heard them and did not find them offensive...

Knowing Simon's taste and experience, I'd mark that down as a strong recommendation :rofl:

bon2LC.jpg

TRON Voyager 6W SET based on a single EML 20B tube on each channel.

Edited by topoxforddoc
  • Like 1

OK guys, look away if you're of a sensitive disposition or collect Welsh dressers. Here's my present system. It's in several chassis since I change things around constantly. It's a 2-stage amp, driver and output. Each stage has its own PSU with a mesh rectifier and all-polypropylene caps, plus plenty of chokes. Then there are the filament supplies for which I use bench power supplies when I'm experimenting. 

On the table in front is my latest solution - EL12n output tubes. The input tubes are 10Y now. Previously it was EL12n into 300b but I prefer it this way around. 

Oops - seems I can't attach the photo. Back to the drawing board - I haven't used up all my attachment space but it's telling me I have.....

300b system.jpg

Edited by rabski
Added picture
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1