pmcuk

Where do you buy your coffee and what's good value?

So, music lovers, where do you buy your coffee? I'm excluding instant coffee here - just beans and bags of ground.

Can be online coffee dealers, coffee shops, supermarkets or whatever. 

What are your tips for:

- best coffee

- best value

- decaf for those who drink it

I get most of mine when I'm travelling abroad.

Lao is one of my favourites but very difficult to find outside Laos.

The ASDA Extra Special Ethiopian Fairtrade Ground Coffee is meant to be good but not tried it yet.

this site lists lots of the good coffee roasters

http://coffeediff.co.uk/

top tips

1. always buy beans and grind yourself - use em within 3 months, better in less than 1 month
  2. avoid commodity beans - these tend to be the cheaper coffees, the quality is very bad, they're mass market trash and often workers have poor conditions. go for single origin, fair trade is a good sign, that doesn't mean you have to spend a fortune, the price difference can be as little as £1
  3. pick your beans based on the taste you like
  4. by a bigger amount to get free delivery and freeze some - just put some tape over the vent in the bag before you do, I have beans in my freezer which are 12 months + old, they still taste great. don't put them in the fridge though, it's too dry an environment and will mess the beans up
  5. all the above applies for decaf, but you have less choice
  6. steer clear of the gimmick coffee - you don't need your coffee to come out of a civet cat's bum, Jamaican blue mountain is just a marketing gimmick, it's not worth the price 

Last thing, picking coffee is very personal, what you like I won't, you need to experiment a bit to figure out what you do like. try as many different kinds as you can!

On 13/10/2020 at 16:10, pmcuk said:

So, music lovers, where do you buy your coffee? I'm excluding instant coffee here - just beans and bags of ground.

Can be online coffee dealers, coffee shops, supermarkets or whatever. 

What are your tips for:

- best coffee

- best value

- decaf for those who drink it

A couple of weeks ago was in Aldi and saw bags of coffee beans on the shelf, expresso rated at 5.  Tried them and they are really good.  Very creamy and give a good head on cappuccinos.  Tried beans from several places, some expensive and some not. Worth a try and if you don't like them, it won't have cost you a lot!

• Like 1

Yes I have found coffee does keep well in the freezer. 

I would avoid Civet coffee, this should be banned.

My father tried Blue Mountain but it was very disappointing.

Coffee does seem to vary from year to year just like wine. I’ve had some excellent Taylor’s Indonesian coffee but then the next year it was not half as good, then they stopped doing it. 

• Like 1

I use aldi ...alcafe 4 italian style ..100 % arabica beans .......and the 5 expresso ....... great for the money.

• Upvote 1

On 18/10/2020 at 18:43, deggie said:

I use aldi ...alcafe 4 italian style ..100 % arabica beans .......and the 5 expresso ....... great for the money.

Couldn't agree more!  Just gone back onto 5 expresso.  Will give the 4 Italian style beans a shot, next time I'm in there.  A recent convert to Aldi's coffee beans, after using expensive beans, some costing over £40 a kilo.

I buy my beans from TK Maxx.  After a while you get to know the ones you prefer and they generally come back in.

Every couple of months I take a trip and fill my boots.

I am really enjoying Miguel Aroma Profundo beans at the moment.  I prefer my coffees to be smoky and chocolatey and so avoid the acidic varieties or ones that state "fruity notes."

• Like 1

Wogan Coffee in Bristol and online is great for beans; I like most of the high altitude-grown South American ones they do

7 hours ago, ESK said:

I buy my beans from TK Maxx.  After a while you get to know the ones you prefer and they generally come back in.

Every couple of months I take a trip and fill my boots.

I am really enjoying Miguel Aroma Profundo beans at the moment.  I prefer my coffees to be smoky and chocolatey and so avoid the acidic varieties or ones that state "fruity notes."

Bought many times from TKMAXX and generally good quality at a reasonable price.  The only problem is our local TKMAXX rarely seems to have repeats. So a bit frustrating if you find one you really like.  Will look out for the one younlike.

9 hours ago, Ron Hilditch said:

Couldn't agree more!  Just gone back onto 5 expresso.  Will give the 4 Italian style beans a shot, next time I'm in there.  A recent convert to Aldi's coffee beans, after using expensive beans, some costing over £40 a kilo.

Aldi has closed near me, but their espresso beans were always good when I had them. Not the 'dark roast' though, it's bitter and horrible. All beans over-roasted make terrible coffee. Aldi generally carry particular lines per country (I'm not in UK) so it's possible they're better there. I go for milder roasts these days and use a cafetière.

To follow up @Phobic to get a decent cup of coffee it is very important to start with fresh beans so it is crucial to know when they were roasted. Anything roasted more than a few months earlier will not give you a result as good as you could get with fresher beans, although it might still taste okay.

That's why I buy freshly roasted beans whenever possible in bigger volumes to get the best price, but they are likely to be more expensive than supermarket beans.

Coffee Compass were good:

https://www.coffeecompass.co.uk/collections/espresso-range/products/mystery-coffee-mark-13-1kg

£14.50 a kilo

Django sometimes have good offers on kilo bags, but none at the moment sadly:

https://www.djangocoffeeco.com/collections/coffee-beans-online-order-coffee-online

Hasbean has a good starter pack - 4 x 250 gm's of different beans for £20:

https://www.hasbean.co.uk/collections/starter-packs/products/espresso-pack

The Rave coffee Christmas blend was really good last year so will be putting that on my Christmas pressie list!

https://ravecoffee.co.uk/collections/coffee-bean-blends/products/christmas-blend-no-12?variant=36995876782248

Cheers

• Like 1

I drink a lot of coffee but have not graduated to grinding beans as yet. When I  was at a Devon HiFi retail unit accompanying Speedracer about a year ago they served up some Taylors ground coffee. It was very nice. So if that;s on offer I get that.

I'm up for a coffee adventure however...I need a grinder..advice?

Jack NSM