Sign in to follow this  
toms wait

guilty pleasures

2 hours ago, CnoEvil said:

Abba

Aaron Neville

Imagination :oops:

I forgot Imagination in my list, I have a vinyl copy of the now with heat of the night, how could I forget or did I 9_9

yes we know you must like what you like regardless of what others think, but what are they?

My schoolmate of 40 years does not like Yes on the basis that it is 6th form music.

He only listens to Floyd, Zeppelin and a metal band I can never remember the name of.

I ask to see if I have missed anything off my list and to justify to myself buying 10CC and the Carpenters!

4 hours ago, audio_PHIL_e said:

There were some very vocal people at school who made it clear that they despised "easy listening" and "teenybopper" music. It had to be hard rock or something prog to keep them happy. Whereas I took the @Klassik approach - if I found reason to like it then I liked it regardless of what other people said about it.

Yes, it seems that even here in the US that a lot of this mentality comes from schoolhouse peer pressure.  Klassik is not concerned with what some pre-teen/teenage chuckleheads think is good music and what they think is bad music.

Although a lot of this comes from schools, there is a great circle to life.  We come into the world crying and pooping uncontrollably, and for many of us, that's how we go out.  xD  I know of some classical music fans, many of whom are older, who think they can judge all of classical music even though they've heard at best maybe 5% of all music composed.  It's not just obscure classical music that they have not heard, but often they have not heard some relatively well-known works.  :?

I'm aware of a London classical music forum full of dullards where they attempt to place music into all kinds of tiers.  They literally have a 100th tier and so forth.  :o  These fools have not even heard the music they are putting into those tiers.  :doh:  It seems to me that they put a lot more effort into classifying music than they do listening to it and enjoying it.  :nup:

2 hours ago, audio_PHIL_e said:

You remind me a little of Robert Pirsig in Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance: "Quality is what you like" (Well, sort of ...)

I can see how writing computer manuals as a day job might have given Robert Pirsig the insight he had.  xD

2 hours ago, toms wait said:

yes we know you must like what you like regardless of what others think, but what are they?

Klassik does not have any feelings of guilt or shame about anything Klassik likes even if some others may feel differently.  What's there for Klassik to list then?  xD

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Klassik said:

Klassik does not have any feelings of guilt or shame about anything Klassik likes even if some others may feel differently.  What's there for Klassik to list then?  xD

I see you intimate that your Klassik world has a Klassik frame of reference that is guilt free, fair enough. Lucky man.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, toms wait said:

My schoolmate of 40 years does not like Yes on the basis that it is 6th form music.

He only listens to Floyd, Zeppelin and a metal band I can never remember the name of.

I ask to see if I have missed anything off my list and to justify to myself buying 10CC and the Carpenters!

Nothing to justify with 10CC, seriously good band, ( prior split).  Can't believe any guilt attached.

1 minute ago, Colinjg said:

Nothing to justify with 10CC, seriously good band, ( prior split).  Can't believe any guilt attached.

Sorry yes out of context in this trail, but I have bought some 10cc vinyl and never been on my radar before, so thought I'd dive in.

Part of my rehabilitation after a nightmare that I had to sell all my vinyl.  Which was so vivid it got on here.

• Like 1

Unless you're a Catholic Priest, why should your pleasure be guilty?

Playing some Duran Duran 12"s I got from a charity shop last week - shame on me for not cleaning them first.

Enjoying every minute.

They were very good live in '82. Birmingham Hippodrome - me dressed like a complete cock.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, lazycat said:

Unless you're a Catholic Priest, why should your pleasure be guilty?

Playing some Duran Duran 12"s I got from a charity shop last week - shame on me for not cleaning them first.

Enjoying every minute.

They were very good live in '82. Birmingham Hippodrome - me dressed like a complete cock.

I had the albums up to and including 7 and the ragged tiger, had a red jacket with the sleeves rolled up and white shoes, thought it was the bizz.

Lucky I didn't get lynched as a student in Liverpool!

• Like 1

cum on Klassik, your GP is Chrissy and "I touch myself" lol 

Mine is out of Joe Dolice "Shut upya Face" and the one below xD

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, EddieRUKidding said:

cum on Klassik, your GP is Chrissy and "I touch myself" lol

I Touch Myself is a pleasure, but hardly a guilty one.  :D  As you well know, Klassik is hardly shy about my appreciation of that masterpiece.  ;)

As far as Australian hits go, I don't think Kate Ceberano counts as a guilty pleasure.  Maybe liking Rolf Harris would be only because of his non-musical activities.  I reckon the same could be said about Gary Glitter.  :o

• Haha 1

There is nothing in my collection I feel either ashamed or guilty about, except possibly the overall quantity. If anyone thinks I ought to feel guilty for something I like listening to, that's because their taste is poor.

• Upvote 3

i think guilt or shame are too strong for my intention with this.

It was intended to be slightly humorous with perhaps a tiny tinge of embarrassment but seems to be taken rather more seriously, hey ho!

do you know the words to the birdy song or you have all of the jive bunny on 200g vinyl

23 hours ago, toms wait said:

Music is fashion and vice versa.  There are the unfashionable and to corrupt a 60's word, the unhip or my guilty pleasures in music.

This is not meant in any derogatory way to those named but just things I like that are tragically so unhip its a wonder the legs don't fall off, rough quote zaphod beeblebrox

I'll start you off with some of mine

1. john denver
  2. the carpenters
  3. simon and garfunkel
  4. half man half biscuit
  5. a-ha
  6. genesis
  7. elp

:minikev:

Half Man Half Biscuit are the greatest band in the world. The rest on your list are cack, though...esp. Genesis

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, toms wait said:

It was intended to be slightly humorous with perhaps a tiny tinge of embarrassment but seems to be taken rather more seriously, hey ho!

Klassik does not see why anyone should feel embarrassed about what they like.  It's good that someone has found music that they like!

6 minutes ago, toms wait said:

do you know the words to the birdy song or you have all of the jive bunny on 200g vinyl

I don't have those in my record collection, but I do have this LP which my father bought for me when I was young.  I still have it.  My father must have known something to give me stories and songs about WigWam moderator @Bazzer decades before Klassik's entry into the WigWam.  xD

s-l640.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

• Haha 1