emmings

WANTED: 5v 2a linear power supply

I'm looking for a linear power supply for a Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 (digital converter) to replace the 9v ifi Power supply I'm currently using.

The X-SPDIF2 requires DC 6~9V, ≥800mA and after looking through the internet it seems (and I can confirm) that the unit runs a bit warm using a 9v power supply.

So what I'm after is a 6/7v 2a linear power supply with a supply port outer diameter 5.5mm; inner diameter 2.1mm (+ for inner, - for outer).

Anything out there - up to about £150?

Cheers

I could make you one for that kind of money, but looking at the specs I see it has a standard 5V 500mA USB powered option. I *strongly* suspect that the unit just takes any higher voltage supplied through its coax plug and drops it to 5V via an internal regulator chip, and these aren't always the quietest. So an external linear 5V supply interfaced to the USB port might be cleaner at the DAC chip, and off the peg options for that exist for small money. Seems a win-win to me?

Thanks Jazid for the reply/information - think I understand. :)

Looking through a thread on PSAudio it is suggested 'that anything going into the external power port on the Matrix gets stepped down internally to 5V'.

On the same thread people were using a product from AQVOX which supplied 5V power via USB and accepted a data only USB connection from the PC/streamer. However that product is no longer available. Do you have any links/suggestions for the 'off the peg options' please? Is this an example - iFi Defender+?

Also in the system I have a Matrix Audio USB 3.0 interface card which accepts an external power supply - would this have a similar effect?

I have an Aqvox which I do believe has an effect, but it is a very simple thing and easy to build a far better replacement (better regulation, less ripple) for not a lot. Alternatively the following will knock it into a cocked hat performance-wise:

https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/International-Power/IHAA524?qs=MKoP7Oyr0W5xxM%2BRXetHog%3D%3D

You have to supply a box, IEC connector, output wire and easily hacked USB plug and you're there.

Yes, another example of a low cost 5V supply, they aren't difficult to find

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the suggestions - certainly changed my ideas.

My original request to find a 6V unit has now changed - based on Jazid's suggestion I've ordered a USB-B adapter cable from Audiophonics which separates the 5V allowing the use of an external power supply.

The Paul Hynes PSU looks like a good option - and there are others out there.

So now I'm on the lookout for a 5V PSU - there are more options for those rather than a 6V supply.

Cheers

I'm in the same boat, I have found a good difference driving the Matrix from a Liion battery pack into my Directstream. I will be very interested in your findings with the adapter, in fact I may order one as well.