Phobic

Adding weight on top of speakers

Any reason not to add weight to the top of a speaker in an attempt to reduce cabinet resonance?

I guess the shape of the weight might be a consideration given baffle design. Would it be best to go with something that's a random shape so it acts like a diffuser?

I'm already working on isolation to sort out suspended wooden floors & down firing bass. My hunch though is that even if I eliminate this all together the cabinets are still going to have a degree of resonance in them.

Would adding weight on top be better than trying to add further weight to the bottom of the speakers? think it's going to be a difficult to get additional weight on the bottom given the speaker design and I'm not sure that the stiffness of the cabinets will be enough to eliminate the resonance at the top.

I'm sure someone will tell me I'm over thinking things, but sticking a lead statue on top of each speaker is a pretty quick and easy thing to do....

I think its time for you to  chill a while and enjoy some music. How you intend to add weight to the bottom of speakers in any meaningful way short if taking them apart is beyond me. You seem to be jumping around in all directions looking for faults to fix. Enjoy some music, and work out what is bugging you about the sound or you will drive yourself crackers.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Phobic said:

Any reason not to add weight to the top of a speaker in an attempt to reduce cabinet resonance?

I guess the shape of the weight might be a consideration given baffle design. Would it be best to go with something that's a random shape so it acts like a diffuser?

I'm already working on isolation to sort out suspended wooden floors & down firing bass. My hunch though is that even if I eliminate this all together the cabinets are still going to have a degree of resonance in them.

Would adding weight on top be better than trying to add further weight to the bottom of the speakers? think it's going to be a difficult to get additional weight on the bottom given the speaker design and I'm not sure that the stiffness of the cabinets will be enough to eliminate the resonance at the top.

I'm sure someone will tell me I'm over thinking things, but sticking a lead statue on top of each speaker is a pretty quick and easy thing to do....

You're overthinking things.

• Upvote 2

I doubt you have a cabinet resonance that is actually a problem, and that you're still trying too hard to find 'problems' to worry about :).

(If you really did have a significant cabinet resonance the first question would be if the speaker designer wanted this (e.g. Harbeth I believe). If not then I'd be more inclined to use something like Sorbothane 'feet' to try to reduce this than putting a weight on top.)

Super Wammer

If your 'speaker cabinets are designed to resonate you will make a pigs ear of them by trying to stop that happening. Definitely overthinking.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Phobic said:

Unless your speakers are poorly designed and constructed (unlikely with Linn) there should be no need to mess with its design.  In any event, you don't need to ask us as a simple test by plonking a big weight on the top will tell you what difference it makes - none I suspect.  Many people are under the impression that this type of placebo treatment will make a difference.  Luckily this one will cost you nothing in cost or effort to check out, whereas spending a fortune of stupidly expensive cables wiould! 

• Upvote 1

You could always see if Shakti stones make a difference... :cafe:

:sofa:

• Haha 4

Super Dealer

Adding weight will change their natural frequency , wont affect the sound of course.

Keith

24 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

You could always see if Shakti stones make a difference... :cafe:

:sofa:

It sure would add some density to the matter, wouldn't it?  xD

Maybe some Shakti stones will help this person improve the sound of their records.  :o

My Birthday Was Off the Hook! – Better Dresses Vintage
  • Haha 1

Super Dealer

I'm going with the stop overthinking things advice.

Also, some speaker designers rely on the cabinet in their design so if you meddle with that you may make the sound worse.

Are you just fiddling for the sake of it or is there and known issue you are trying to correct?

We have decorative figurines on top of my Russell K Red 150 floorstanders, but those figurines come off for any serious listening as they rob the bass of some of its life and generally make the speakers sound relatively shut-in and congested.

The Red 150 design is such that the cabinet is "live" and contributes to the overall sound. Placing an object on top therefore defeats the purpose of the speaker design.

You might, therefore, consider asking Linn what their advice is. Above anyone else, they would know.

Back when I was a mobile DJ, a lot of people experimented with placing objects on top of my loudspeakers - mainly glasses of beer.

The result was always the same - the glass would be shaken until it fell onto the floor, smashed and wasted a good pint.

The cabinets of my Disco Supplies Black Knight speakers were definitely very "live"!

• Haha 3

PHY speakers..."
Demonstrating the uselessness of extreme mass for damping, he played a French singer's track where the recording engineer hadn't compressed the bass. The walls of this large sand-filled concrete cave were vibrating."

I recall folk advocating slabs of Lead,in Hi-Fi News-1970s

I have contrsting units here. My Ocellia Calliopes use thin walls to release the energy.8_inside.jpg.316caea956b40864915e7aea16693576.jpg

My Opera Consonance Horns weigh 54 Kilios! M15-20th.jpg

• Like 1

The room itself will be a much bigger issue than the speaker needing an expensive mouse shaped sandbag from Denmark. 😂🤣

2 hours ago, Phobic said:

I would first advise lifting the speaker cable of the floor and investing in some high quality interconnects and power cables. This will improve soundstage massively and introduce Inky blacks. It will be like a veil has been lifted. 

• Haha 6