Phobic

Adding weight on top of speakers

Super Wammer

Ok the big reason NOT to put more weight on top of your loudspeakers.

Some 28 years ago I acquired a pair of PRO9TL (a not insubstantial transmission line) - I was doing something (moving the kit about) and I temporarily placed the Hafler DH200 on top of one of the speakers (it weighs about 11.5kg - or in real money 26 lbs) .. the effect of this was to shift the center of gravity upwards - so much so that when I nudged against the speaker it fell over. 

The Hafler was heading towards the glass patio door (fortunately thick lined velvet curtains were drawn), it bounced off the window tearing the curtains and then tore a four inch gauge out of the carpet (not a cheapy this was Brintons Bell Twist which today costs about £40 a square meter).

The good news ... the speaker and the Hafler survived the fall unscathed (and it did not break the glass in the door by some miracle) - the bad news - it cost me a bloody fortune in replacing the curtains and carpet.

If you are going to play with additional weight to a loudspeaker make sure you add commensurate weight to the bottom (especially if you have kids or grandkids coming round) as a slight nudge could end in disaster.

• Like 3

Super Wammer
15 minutes ago, uzzy said:

Ok the big reason NOT to put more weight on top of your loudspeakers.

Some 28 years ago I acquired a pair of PRO9TL (a not insubstantial transmission line) - I was doing something (moving the kit about) and I temporarily placed the Hafler DH200 on top of one of the speakers (it weighs about 11.5kg - or in real money 26 lbs) .. the effect of this was to shift the center of gravity upwards - so much so that when I nudged against the speaker it fell over. 

The Hafler was heading towards the glass patio door (fortunately thick lined velvet curtains were drawn), it bounced off the window tearing the curtains and then tore a four inch gauge out of the carpet (not a cheapy this was Brintons Bell Twist which today costs about £40 a square meter).

The good news ... the speaker and the Hafler survived the fall unscathed (and it did not break the glass in the door by some miracle) - the bad news - it cost me a bloody fortune in replacing the curtains and carpet.

If you are going to play with additional weight to a loudspeaker make sure you add commensurate weight to the bottom (especially if you have kids or grandkids coming round) as a slight nudge could end in disaster.

Thats exactly why I recommended the adjustable ceiling supports to secure the speakers properly!! :D

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, hearhere said:

Unless your speakers are poorly designed and constructed (unlikely with Linn)

Some on here may differ with that statement 😁

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, notevenclose said:

a] Shakti Stones are not particularly heavy, b] they're not made of stone (see a), c] it's not what they're intended for, and d] no they likely won't fit the ports on your speakers –they're roughly the size of a paperback novel.

Ha, what next?  Suggesting that using a green marker to make a circle around the outside of woofers won't improve bass response?  :doh:

xD

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Klassik said:

Ha, what next?  Suggesting that using a green marker to make a circle around the outside of woofers won't improve bass response?  :doh:

xD

It will, but only if you can get them to rotate at up to 500rpm.

• Haha 2

Polygyny, that is your answer.

Two wives for stereo, more for multichannel.

Sit them on your speakers and bliss will be yours.

• Haha 1

Marble chopping boards work sometimes, I have a pair of Canton CT80 that sound better with them on top.

22 minutes ago, It Cost How Much!?! said:

Marble chopping boards work sometimes, I have a pair of Canton CT80 that sound better with them on top.

Particularly good when playing Chopin I imagine...:whistle:

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, DomT said:

Its worth watching all of his videos on the build then as he covers electrics, sound insulation etc.  Its useful enough to get orientated on what to consider.  Here is the first one and then you should be able to find the subsequent ones.  There is normally one topic per video eg Acustics.

watched all these, pretty interesting. 

It's quite funny to see how his studio engineer just quickly explains how best to run all the cables "up high power, audio on the ground, everything in grounded metal tubes" job done. That would have been a 20 page debate on here :D

looking forward to the next episode

Just to get you worried again, I used to put a heavy book on each speaker a while ago and it tightened up the imaging nicely

Not needed anymore as my new speakers are massive enough without books on top!

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

Super Dealer

I remember when a Shun Mook ‘resonator’ was demonstrated to me, placed on top of the speaker the chap said that as he turned the draught sized piece of wood the soundstage ( always the soundstage) would grow or collapse, it didn’t.

Keith

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Phobic said:

Any reason not to add weight to the top of a speaker in an attempt to reduce cabinet resonance?

I guess the shape of the weight might be a consideration given baffle design. Would it be best to go with something that's a random shape so it acts like a diffuser?

I'm already working on isolation to sort out suspended wooden floors & down firing bass. My hunch though is that even if I eliminate this all together the cabinets are still going to have a degree of resonance in them.

Would adding weight on top be better than trying to add further weight to the bottom of the speakers? think it's going to be a difficult to get additional weight on the bottom given the speaker design and I'm not sure that the stiffness of the cabinets will be enough to eliminate the resonance at the top.

I'm sure someone will tell me I'm over thinking things, but sticking a lead statue on top of each speaker is a pretty quick and easy thing to do....

It can have a negative impact on the speaker's response by affecting baffle step and cabinet diffraction.

It may also change the resonant frequency (of parts) of the cabinet and thus have a negative impact on performance.

My suggestion is that you leave speaker design to the manufacturers. :D

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, hearhere said:

If I had a shilling for each time I hear this sort of claim I'd be rich.  Doesn't stand examination using long-established rules of physics. 

I don't think he was being serious.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
10 hours ago, Phobic said:

watched all these, pretty interesting. 

It's quite funny to see how his studio engineer just quickly explains how best to run all the cables "up high power, audio on the ground, everything in grounded metal tubes" job done. That would have been a 20 page debate on here :D

looking forward to the next episode

Thought that they would be useful. And I think that you are underestimating the number of pages that would have been generated here!!😂😂

• Haha 1