Jump to content

Recommended Posts

About Amazon HD Music my monthly request to Linn resulted this time:

"Hi there,

Thank you for your e-mail

We have no timescales for Amazon Music.

The global pandemic has slowed this a great deal.  We are in talks with Amazon,  that is all we can advise at this time.

Best Regards Colin"

 

To the topic above: Compared not yet but for some reason I prefer to listen to my music from the NAS.

Edited by Johannes
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I used Spotify for years before moving to Tidal and finally Qobuz.  To my ears, on my system, Qobuz is the definitive winner in terms of high definition catalogue and most importantly, sound qual

I don't agree with the WhatHiFi review, Qobuz is as good if not better sound quality than Tidal and does not use MQA, it also has more HiRes albums available, it also costs £5 pm less. Tidal pushes a

@SnapperMike My only side by side comparison was of my Chord CD player playing a CDs vs tracks from the same albums on Tidal routed through the same system using an Auralic streamer. I invariably pref

4 minutes ago, Johannes said:

About Amazon HD Music my monthly request to Linn resulted this time:

"Hi there,

Thank you for your e-mail

We have no timescales for Amazon Music.

The global pandemic has slowed this a great deal.  We are in talks with Amazon,  that is all we can advise at this time.

Best Regards Colin"

 

To the topic above: Compared not yet but for some reason I prefer to listen to my music from the NAS.

I would not bother with Amazon HD, it is the worst service I have tried on my streamer, the interface is poor, the only advantage would be the family membership. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, StingRay said:

...... the only advantage would be the family membership. 

And the Price. Maybe a connection to Kazoo would be better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Johannes said:

And the Price. Maybe a connection to Kazoo would be better.

Qobuz is the same price in the UK, unless you have Amazon prime. Qobuz is better quality and has more HiRes than Amazon, which is not so good for Jazz and Classical. I was very disappointed with Amazon but the others are specialists in streaming.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, StingRay said:

the only advantage would be the family membership.

Remember there's a family membership option with Qobuz too. Currently £25 per month in the UK or £270 per year. Up to 6 family members although you need to live at the same address. However, I'm not sure how that works. Obviously not limited to the same IP address as presumably it will operate not only over wifi or ethernet but also on mobile devices using network data too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SnapperMike said:

Remember there's a family membership option with Qobuz too. Currently £25 per month in the UK or £270 per year. Up to 6 family members although you need to live at the same address. However, I'm not sure how that works. Obviously not limited to the same IP address as presumably it will operate not only over wifi or ethernet but also on mobile devices using network data too.

Yes Qobuz has family membership but it is £10 more, Amazon is only £5 more. I would have Deezer HiFi instead of Amazon but it depends how you are streaming it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SnapperMike said:

Remember there's a family membership option with Qobuz too. Currently £25 per month in the UK or £270 per year. Up to 6 family members although you need to live at the same address. However, I'm not sure how that works. Obviously not limited to the same IP address as presumably it will operate not only over wifi or ethernet but also on mobile devices using network data too.

Qobuz Family pack not in Germany available.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/10/2020 at 03:57, macfan said:

 I tend to have a touch of OCD

you need to work harder at your OCD :nuts:

I've literally spent DAYS of my life sorting out rips, tags and album art. must.....resist.....

6 hours ago, SnapperMike said:

@macfan same with me! I actually enjoyed the weeks of going through the ripping process. Finding higher quality artwork that was often offered up automatically almost became an obsession. Having the names of band correct was of upmost importance. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers could never be left as Tom Petty & The Heart Breakers for instance.

you're triggering me!

5 hours ago, Johannes said:

About Amazon HD Music my monthly request to Linn resulted this time:

"Hi there,

Thank you for your e-mail

We have no timescales for Amazon Music.

The global pandemic has slowed this a great deal.  We are in talks with Amazon,  that is all we can advise at this time.

Best Regards Colin"

 

To the topic above: Compared not yet but for some reason I prefer to listen to my music from the NAS.

interesting to hear, thanks for sharing

5 hours ago, StingRay said:

I would not bother with Amazon HD, it is the worst service I have tried on my streamer, the interface is poor, the only advantage would be the family membership. 

Agree the interface is crap!

My prediction is that Amazon are going to dominate the HD music world though. and here's why....

Amazon are 1 of the biggest global media retailers in the world, they have the buying power to force the studios to make their content available digitally. That means Amazon's music catalog is destined to be one of the biggest in the market (if not the biggest).

At heart Amazon are a tech company, it's even their corporate vision! They'll sort out the crappy interface. My hope is that even before they do that Roon will integrate and we'll happily be able to get the same experience now as we do with Qobuz. Linn integration at the right time is game over!

I'm afraid to say that I can see Qobuz longer term ceasing to exist if they don't innovate more. Tidal have the backing of the artists, Amazon are able to bully the studios, Qobuz are stuck being squeezed in the middle.

maybe they might build a niche for high quality audiophiles and survive, but that's a tough ask..... 

Edited by Phobic
Link to post
Share on other sites

@SnapperMike My only side by side comparison was of my Chord CD player playing a CDs vs tracks from the same albums on Tidal routed through the same system using an Auralic streamer. I invariably preferred my CDs. When I stream at home I’ve no preference between CD and streamed FLAC. My Linn and Chord systems sound different, but I enjoy them both and couldn’t ever say one was better than the other. I have heard Tidal used at demos with both Linn and Chord gear and if that had been my only exposure to the kit then I’d have looked elsewhere. Perhaps I’ve been unlucky and it is very unscientific, but I have never heard Tidal and thought that sounds great. It could be I prefer the mastering on the versions I have to the ones on Tidal or even my unconscious bias. 

The only time I have sat and listened to Qobuz was through a Linn Selekt Katalyst and the experience was different. I was very impressed with what I heard. However, it was not a direct comparison. Perhaps if I didn’t have lots of music stored and my Internet connection wasn’t so flaky then I’d go the Qobuz route. 

As always another person may hear the same music as me through Tidal and thoroughly enjoy it. 

Edited by Nestor Turton
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 6 months later...
On 21/10/2020 at 14:51, StingRay said:

Yes Qobuz has family membership but it is £10 more, Amazon is only £5 more. I would have Deezer HiFi instead of Amazon but it depends how you are streaming it. 

When streaming Deezer HiFi FLAC content I use SONGCAST to forward it to DSM and in Kazoo stream information is PCM 44,1kHz/16bits 1411 kbps.

FLAC is converted to PCM and send to DSM or is this only false information?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a better way besides forwarding through SONGCAST for streaming services with no native support in DSM?

Deezer HiFi FLAC through SONGCAST is very good for my ears but I am not sure if there is no quality loss because of streaming that way.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We just got Qobuz here in NZ. 
 

It’s a double up on Tidal to some extent but the catalogue seems more comprehensive and the files are much better in many cases. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

I just found out that I can subscribe for Tidal and I happily did it for a one-month free trial but of course a new problem arose.  :(

I am using an older Thinkpad L440 Laptop with windows 7 that is still fine for my private use and it seems that I cannot use Tidal from the Internet straight to the DSM because I need new versions of the Kazoo server and Kazoo app and this requires Windows 8 or up.

Is there any other way to use Tidal from the Internet straight to the DSM with Windows 7 (other music server and control app maybe?) or Windows upgrade is my only solution? 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@rduras

You could try the Tidal for Windows App. I don't have a Windows computer but it appears that that the Tidal app still works with Windows 7

Jens

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rduras said:

I just found out that I can subscribe for Tidal and I happily did it for a one-month free trial but of course a new problem arose.  :(

I am using an older Thinkpad L440 Laptop with windows 7 that is still fine for my private use and it seems that I cannot use Tidal from the Internet straight to the DSM because I need new versions of the Kazoo server and Kazoo app and this requires Windows 8 or up.

Is there any other way to use Tidal from the Internet straight to the DSM with Windows 7 (other music server and control app maybe?) or Windows upgrade is my only solution? 
 

13 minutes ago, JensA said:

@rduras

You could try the Tidal for Windows App. I don't have a Windows computer but it appears that that the Tidal app still works with Windows 7

Jens

As above and then use Bluetooth to connect. I know, you won't get the full SQ using Bluetooth but consider it a workaround you get  the  Kazoo App to work.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...