Griff500

DAC / Pre Amp setup for SCM40A

Having now ordered a pair of ATC SCM40A, thanks to a very misleadingly titled thread, I am now considering options to keep them well fed.

It seems that the two obvious ways to do this are either an all-in-one streaming DAC/pre-amp such as the Mytek Brooklyn Bridge (Linn has also been suggested and looks interesting if I go to the used market) or components, which could be a streamer into a decent DAC/pre-amp or, I guess, three individual components.

I think the less components the better - less connections seems like a good thing - but I am open to suggestions.

I'd like to keep it somewhere around £2K  but I can go higher if I feel that it is worthwhile to do so. I use Tidal to stream music.

• Like 1

F what the dealers say and go for topping d90 save yourself loads of wasted cash.

I'll buy it off you if I'm wrong

Find a suitable pre-amp and then add  dac/streamer (whichever). Less redundency on the digital side is a better bet :)

ronnie

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Bokke said:

F what the dealers say and go for topping d90 save yourself loads of wasted cash.

I'll buy it off you if I'm wrong

If I had a pound sterling 9_9 for every time you mention this...............:sofa:

ronnie

1 minute ago, Man in a van said:

If I had a pound sterling 9_9 for every time you mention this...............:sofa:

ronnie

You may have about £10

What's your point

Edited by Bokke
  • Haha 1

Super Wammer

I am with @Man in a van.  I seriously love my Auralic Altair G1and it's app; the app part is really important unless you use Roon.  The Altair works so well and it has an internal drive as well that you can directly rip to.  The internal drive will also act as a network drive for you to stream to other streamers eg I am using Audirvana on a mobile phone to stream Altair G1 internal SSD content to my Roberts radio in the kitchen.  It's a very well rounded bit of kit.  Then add a pre-amp of your choice.

Apparently the Brooklyn is much leaner sounding than the Altair, and the Altair more lean sounding than the Qutest, and there are people who say the Qutest is forward sounding.  The ATCs according to two dealers I know need a very smooth front end and so I would caution against the Brooklyn. 

Super Wammer

Could you use a BlueSound Node 2i, maybe upgrade the power supply.?

• Haha 2

The Linn is constantly being upgraded through the firmware updates eg. Space Optimisation...and improvements can usually be retro fitted eg Katalyst. 

It can also be used to connect to the TV as it has HDMI sockets.

It's expensive, but more doable second hand....and it isn't forward sounding.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

And get a passive preamp or valve preamp from this place.

http://www.decoaudio.com/deco_audio_pre_amps.html

14 minutes ago, Man in a van said:

Find a suitable pre-amp and then add  dac/streamer (whichever). Less redundency on the digital side is a better bet :)

ronnie

Not quite with you. Surely there would be less redundancy with a combined streamer/DAC/pre? 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Bokke said:

You may have about £10

What's your point

No point, but I'm glad to see I'm not the only one counting :ph34r:

When are you getting yours ?O.o

I have Topping DX3 pro and prefer it as dac rather than dac/pre. If the E30 dac had been available at the time I bought the DX3 I wiuld have done for that.

But we are all different ;)

ronnie

stay safe

9 minutes ago, DomT said:

And get a passive preamp or valve preamp from this place.

http://www.decoaudio.com/deco_audio_pre_amps.html

Despite my overt promotion of Linn - I also like the idea of a Valve Pre. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Not quite with you. Surely there would be less redundancy with a combined streamer/DAC/pre? 

Not a lot of folk are B|

I just think a good pre amp is a better better bet.

The digital side of things is a tad more confusing, such a wide choice to meet differing requirements (and generally at a more affordable price)

ronnie