Griff500

DAC / Pre Amp setup for SCM40A

3 hours ago, PuritéAudio said:

I don’t believe everyone  here believes every scrap of marketing but may lack the technical knowledge to separate marketing from the elements that actually affect sound quality.

Keith

Edited by StingRay

3 hours ago, PuritéAudio said:
I don’t believe everyone  here believes every scrap of marketing but may lack the technical knowledge to separate marketing from the elements that actually affect sound quality.

Keith

Before I started PA I was just like everyone here, believed everything the dealer / manufacturer told me, I didn’t consider for a moment that they wouldn’t be telling the truth.

So which one is it, Keith?

So everyone on here believes the same? 

Edited by StingRay

23 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

Ah, yes that is irony.

Dealers don’t always tell the truth, even those supposedly on a mission to call out dealers who don’t always tell the truth!

On another thread I pointed out that an advantage of using a sub was that main speakers could then be placed in in their best position in the room for reproducing a realistic sound. I was accused of ignorance by a dealer who stated that speakers should be close to the wall. Hmm, Quad, Martin Logan, MBL, Magnepan, German Physiks etc etc all designed to be used away from boundaries and to excellent effect. Bullying behaviour by a dealer who can’t accept the validity of products he either doesn’t sell or doesn’t like. Whilst I couldn’t really care less what a ranting preacher dealer says I did report it on the basis that a useful thread had been diverted by a dealer trying to push the products he sells and also trying to provoke an argument by dissing speakers that other posters have chosen to use.

Apologies for off topic post but this is another example of an interesting thread thrown off course by a dealer. And yes, I agree we should just ignore him in the hope that he will give up.

6 hours ago, Camverton said:

Apologies for off topic post 

What was the topic?

• Haha 3

Super Wammer

If you can find a used SCA2 preamp that would be your final preamp purchase, they are so transparent. Then save up for the best Dac that you can afford for now.

If you do upgrade the Dac at a later time the preamp part would be sorted for whatever you wanted to put through it.

7 hours ago, alexh said:

If you can find a used SCA2 preamp that would be your final preamp purchase, they are so transparent. Then save up for the best Dac that you can afford for now.

If you do upgrade the Dac at a later time the preamp part would be sorted for whatever you wanted to put through it.

I don’t need to save money and save up to get these items though.

Edited by Griff500

Super Dealer
37 minutes ago, alexh said:

If you can find a used SCA2 preamp that would be your final preamp purchase, they are so transparent.

Personally I don't agree with you about the SCA2. I do not find it all that transparent and at that sort of price level I think there are better offerings. Which of course is why everything needs to be demoed and compared in the home system

Super Wammer
13 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

Personally I don't agree with you about the SCA2. I do not find it all that transparent and at that sort of price level I think there are better offerings. Which of course is why everything needs to be demoed and compared in the home system

Thats interesting, what did you find wrong with it ?

Super Dealer

All solid state preamps ‘should’ be audibly transparent, the transformer types ‘may’ alter the speakers Fr depending upon the resistance of the unit, length and resistance of the cables.

Preamps aren’t really necessary unless you are using vinyl, digital has mor than enough output, essentially you are just attenuating.

Keith

Super Wammer
20 minutes ago, Griff500 said:

I don’t need to save money and save up to get these items though.I don’t need to save money and save up to get these items though.

That's good, I would get one to try in your system.

Super Wammer
25 minutes ago, alexh said:

He heard mine. I was led to believe it was going to have balls, get a superb grip on my active SCM40A's etc. It was fine but I found it a bit heavyhanded in the bass. Looks are a bit marmite.

If you want transparent, try Music First Audio classic v2; that shows what the SCA2 is adding to the mix, and whether you like it or not is going to be a personal thing but it shows the SCA2 is not transparent. If you want ballsy transparent gobsmackingness, try an MFA Baby Ref v1 or v2. If this was behind a curtain you'd swear it was a stunning active pre bringing clarity and grip across the piece, adding punchiness to the bass which has to be heard. When someone tells you it's a passive, so all it is doing is getting out of the way better than it's junior siblings and far better than any active pre you've heard, you have to recalibrate a few things... like I did, like Nick @Fourlegs did and like John @Lurch did.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Oh, and on the subject of DACs, which we weren't, there are a good few wammers who prefer DACs which are non-oversampling (NOS)  to oversampling designs. Warning: NOS don't typically measure as well as OS.

Super Wammer

This is true (Baby Ref V1) I had it here for consideration even though, if I liked it, it would cost be money I didn't really have. 

Within 30 seconds of firing it up I also knew it was a piece of kit I couldn't let anyone else have, it was going nowhere. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Super Dealer
49 minutes ago, alexh said:

It was not transparent. In other words it was adding stuff which obscured the finer details and nuances of the music. All IMO of course.