Griff500

DAC / Pre Amp setup for SCM40A

along similar lines to Warszawa's suggestion i would recommend Node 2  ( or 2i )   digital out feeding a RME ADI 2 DAC / preamp.

i owned the RME for a while and was very impressed with the with them feeding the 40A's .

I found that this sounded better than feeding the node 2 into a passive preamp then into the 40A's.

i won't speculate as to what the reason for this might be as i can't find my tin hat at the moment

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Warszawa said:

Bluesound Node 2i + used Hugo TT?

Interesting, although I think I read that the TT2 is a worthwhile step up? I could still use my Aries Mini although I'm interested to try something  else.

3 minutes ago, jon said:

Can you listen to a few alternatives, including some budget options? Well-designed digital sources and DACs sound near enough the same to me - so I'm currently running some nice active speakers from a £20ish USB soundcard, and another pair of speakers from a Chromecast audio :) I've nothing against buying shiny kit (and a well-designed streamer will have a good user interface) but it's worth comparing products costing thousands to budget options before splashing out!

You could get something with DSP built in and the potential to run a crossover - to help you integrate your speakers into the different rooms, and to add a sub if you end up doing so?

I've done the Chromecast thing ages ago (it serves a purpose and is great for the money) and moved on to the Aries Mini, which was miles better and I think it was great value for money and provided a good sound and interface, although it could be a pain to be found on the network (this has improved since I updated it).

There's no point in getting what I believe are very good speakers only to skimp on the rest. I don't have an unlimited budget but I'm certainly happy to spend a few thousand if I feel happy with what I am getting.

36 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

It is certainly in the top five worst measuring, which is an achievement of sorts I suppose.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/borderpatrol-digital-analogue-converter-se-measurements

Keith

Given that the OP has just ordered a pair of speakers about which you were, erm, uncomplimentary, Border Patrol must be worth considering!

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Camverton said:

Given that the OP has just ordered a pair of speakers about which you were, erm, uncomplimentary, Border Patrol must be worth considering!

That depends on whether you are going to listen to it, or measure it. 9_9

Super Wammer

With a £2k budget, the Node2i (with current discount) Polish power interface and an SBooster LPS + either the Quetest or RME is acheivable with enough left over for a few beers and a curry. 

Great sounding kit, with a great interface and a full belly, what more could you ask for 🤔 😲

• Like 1

Super Wammer
48 minutes ago, Camverton said:

Pretty sure he use to be an ATC dealer 💭

2 hours ago, Griff500 said:

I've done the Chromecast thing ages ago (it serves a purpose and is great for the money) and moved on to the Aries Mini, which was miles better and I think it was great value for money and provided a good sound and interface, although it could be a pain to be found on the network (this has improved since I updated it).

There's no point in getting what I believe are very good speakers only to skimp on the rest. I don't have an unlimited budget but I'm certainly happy to spend a few thousand if I feel happy with what I am getting.

Fair enough, but I wouldn't assume that more expensive is necessarily better (either subjectively or in terms of measurements). Definitely worth listening side by side to a few alternatives and - unless you're set on spending a certain amount - to options at different price points too.

• Like 1

Super Dealer
2 hours ago, Griff500 said:

I agree what you say about the chrome cast audio. They are overhyped in my opinion. The CCA internal dac is in the dire side of poor and the digital output is easily beaten. Of course it only costs £30 but that is about what it is worth. 

The question will be whether you want to go for separate streamer and / or dac and whether you go for a dac with a direct output to your new speakers. 

There is a lot going for maybe doing it in stages. Perhaps keep your Aries Mini for the moment and maybe consider a Chord TT dac second hand. They are no longer made but they have a superb sound and have internal volume control with a remote and xlr output to go direct to the ATC40 actives. Like the ATC40A the Chord TT was a sweet spot in the range. It will make your ATC speakers sound amazing. You can then bind your time and get a different streamer in due course. 

Edited by Fourlegs
  • Like 1

Super Dealer

Super Dealer
7 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

K❤️ASR

Keith

fxd 

Super Dealer

What’s not to like ASR simply represents the science, which often  completely undermines the subjective conjecture that you in particular constantly spout.

Keith

Super Dealer
5 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

ASR simply represents the science

You surely mean ‘often distorts Science’. Anyway, I thought the rest of us had agreed that your lazy habit of just copy pasting links was not very helpful. I have at least listened to one of them in various configurations and I have reported what I personally heard. It would be much more in the spirit of the threads if you could relay your personal observations assuming you have actually used a CCA?

Super Dealer

I have two, read the ASR article, poor performance when ‘casting’ but ...

As I have mentioned many, many times unless you make your comparisons unsighted bias will dominate.

Keith

From the ASR review, and this sums up my experience in which the CCA at least matches various CD players as transports: "4. Using a well-designed Dac like the Topping D50, there is no difference at all between Toslink from Chromecast or higher fidelity sources. All the jitter is filtered out resulting in the performance of the DAC itself being the limit.

#4 is a great news here. It means that if you have a good DAC and use Roon, you can turn your DAC into a streamer/renderer using the Chromecast Audio. For just $35, that is a superb addition.  As such, the combination of Roon and Chromecase audio is highly recommended! "

• Upvote 1