MartinC

Subwoofers for Music?

3 hours ago, tIANcI said:

Currently using the Rythmik F12.

If there was a UK distributer for Rythmik I'd have been very tempted but sadly there isn't. They can be imported directly but support for any fault would be costly. How do you find yours compares to what you've had before out of interest?

Edited by MartinC

Great fun subs, you don't necessarily need them though. And subs are about as polarising as any other peice of equipment. They come in all sorts of designs that gives them an effect which can be desirable and even off putting for some. Many of the purist wouldn't dream of putting a sub with their LS3/5As for example. Even at live events some concerts I've been to the floor and your internal organs are literally moving yet in others it's just painfuly loud upper frequencies. As long as its done tastefully and helps you get more pleasure from your music I'd say you're free to do whatever you want. You're not hurting anyone apart from possibly the neighbours :)

Which brings us to is bass overrated. It does make for a more full body, room filling experience and definitely brings an additional effect with movies but you can live without it. And you adjust to not having it if there is none. Most of the audio information is in the upper frequencies anyway and you focus more on them if there is less bass to distract. If you had to have sub bass you would never listen to music on the radio, in cars or on your phone but we still do and get enjoyment from it.

I can see the appeal of both with and without myself. With some of the finest little monitors like LS3/5As (or your preference) you can really focus in on that region. 

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

If there was a UK distributer for Rythmik I'd have been very tempted but sadly there isn't. They can be imported directly but support for any fault would be costly. How do you find yours compares to what you've had before out of interest?

Prior to the Rythmik F12 I was using x2 REL T5s. Guess it’s unfair to compare them. 8” vs 12”.

I find the F12 to be very good for music as it digs deep but if you want to play hard stuff with large speakers, that 400w ain’t gonna cut it.

I pair them with my P3ESR, a great match but there is a little void around say 80Hz? If I take the xover to 80Hz, it gets a bit ‘unnatural’. So I keep the xover to 65Hz thereabouts. 

Guess I need something like REW etc to measure the in room response and that will be much better than tuning by ear.

The F12 does work better with my KEF R3s. Bigger box, bigger bass so it integrates a little better.

As for all the switches etc, I can’t make out the difference. One of my pals measures and sets his stuff, he says on the measuring software it is evident.

Wonder when he’s gonna pop by to help me? 😬

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Great thread and in my case, very timely, as I have just been looking in to a mod on my speakers to increase the low end and did think that a sub may be easier. However, it seems that to integrate a sub properly will take additional equipment, such as the DSP kit mentioned by the OP

One that has caught my attention is a table tuba, which will apparently match well with horn speakers, but they are rather large..... has anyone heard or used one?

https://billfitzmaurice.info/TT.html

Yeah, having to use a DSP setup with microphone, which on average costs around £400, rather excludes experiments with bargain subs. I paid £80 for mine, but the original MJ version was around £350, so it shouldn’t be too shabby, quality wise. Probably should have kept my Talisman 2 s, instead of going off on the small speaker route, but I thought that a sub would give me more control over the bass in my room. 🤔

I really tried to get across in my first post that DSP and a microphone as not essential to enjoying a subwoofer and I'm sure many if not most of those who have replied to this thread have used neither :).

1 hour ago, robbie010 said:

One that has caught my attention is a table tuba, which will apparently match well with horn speakers, but they are rather large..... has anyone heard or used one?

https://billfitzmaurice.info/TT.html

My gut reaction is to stick to a conventional sub but I'll be interested if anyone has made/heard one :). What you'd be building there would be a giant box that even with a high quality wood veneer finish I'm not too sure how well you'd really think it would blend into a room? Also, the location where you might most want a coffee table stands a decent chance of being far from the optimal location for a sub. The graph in that link doesn't exactly tally with the opening text about 110 dB @ 20 Hz either...

I'm sure someone who replied above is using a conventional sub with horn speakers - have a check back if they don't reply...

Alternatively buy this ready-made horn-loaded sub cabinet that @eddie-baby posted yesterday:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Westrex-cinema-bass-cabinet-type-2084-to-fit-2-x-15-bass-driver/284047811258?hash=item422291a2ba:g:kq4AAOSwsblfif42

My new bass cabs are approx 5 cu ft each Martin .....Jane is so understanding of my hobby 😁😁😁

• Haha 1

Sorry Martin, should have referred back to your OP! It’s a good read and delivered in a tone that seems to have kept the moaners away. I wish I could remember who said they preferred the 2070 and to what- I think it might have been a BK, funnily enough. Anyway,  Cheers! 👍

• Like 1

4D47500A-901A-4B33-BA98-F80729F6A452.thumb.jpeg.9620a90df59ed0b74dfe066f893493fe.jpeg
I find my old Yamaha Sub just adds a bit bass to my Q’s 3020i in my office connected to my powernode 2i. 

10 minutes ago, MF 1000 said:

My new bass cabs are approx 5 cu ft each Martin .....Jane is so understanding of my hobby 😁😁😁

:D

Yours aren't pretending to blend in though 🙂.

• Haha 1

True ...didn’t think of it in that way 

Subs as in DSP are such taboo subjects for those who consider themselves  purists.  Iam already on my boat,  and have lent out my dspeaker antimode among my friends . They admit to dropped jaws in private . But why not accept the truth. There is too much of puritan based stigma in this hobby I guess. Iam definitely going subs next, though I cannot accommodate two 18 inch subs as sir @MF 1000 :D

But I will definitely have two subs, albeit small ones :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, newlash09 said:

Subs as in DSP are such taboo subjects for those who consider themselves  purists.

I'm not sure I get why, what's the problem?