Phobic

Must read threads

the more time I spend here the more I learn.

we often ask the same questions that have been asked before (and debated endlessly :) ).

there's a great repository of knowledge here that can be hidden for lots of people because they are yet to gain the experience to ask the right question. 

Lots of members have decades of experience with purchasing and setting up hifi's, so what are the common questions? what are the must read threads that give the average punter the info that you think they need?

don't just include the basics like speaker setup and keeping power cables away from speaker cables. What are the key topics that you think the more advanced enthusiast should be aware of an understand.

be as geeky as you like, let's not debate controversial topics here but do include links so people have the information to make their own minds up!

Edited by Phobic

Super Wammer
2 minutes ago, Phobic said:

we often ask the same questions that have been asked before (and debated endlessly :) ).

there's a great repository of knowledge here that can be hidden for lots of people because they are yet to gain the experience to ask the right question. 

Lots of members have decades of experience with purchasing and setting up hifi's, so what are the common questions? what are the must read threads that give the average punter the info that you think they need?

don't just include the basics like speaker setup and keeping power cables away from speaker cables. What are the key topics that you think the more advanced enthusiast should be aware of an understand.

be a geeky as you like, let's not debate controversial topics here but do include links so people have the information to make their own minds up!

There is no definitive thread. 
Read WHF for the basics 👍🏻

Super Wammer

Just don’t forget that it’s not about the hifi it’s about the music and if you are enjoying it. Nothing else really matters. 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, DomT said:

Just don’t forget that it’s not about the hifi it’s about the music and if you are enjoying it. Nothing else really matters. 

I try and keep my equipment building and messsing about as effectively a different hobby. It's fun to try new bits in the system, but when I turn the lights down and stick a record on, the aim is to just relax into the music. Once that starts, I frankly don't give a rat's backside about any other aspects of the system. It isn't because it's perfect, but it does play music in a very enjoyable fashion.

It's very easy to get sucked into the endless 'it could be better' way of thinking, and end up actually ruining all the enjoyment of it.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Im quite happy for what I have now😀

2CE97886-185F-4024-BC1A-7F62D8E10982.jpeg

• Haha 7

Super Wammer

There are lots of interesting topics that can be found with a search.  But some of the best are disguised by woolly headings, or where they head off at a tangent.  I’m thinking of a current one about PMCs where the OP ordered some ATCs!  Or any number about DACs that ended up debating design differences or measurement.  Or cable ones where almost nobody is persuaded by anyone else!

There is often a subtlety that isn’t obvious without careful reading, or until probing further.  Unwanted noises can be caused by everything from dodgy mains or damaged valves, with plenty in between.  So I think my point is that the devil is in the detail, and the best answers are often iterative, rather than a simple ‘Do this’ or “unplug that”! 

I’ve learned a lot about brands I’ve never experienced, and products I’ve never owned, like a stand alone DAC, or a step up transformer.  Also, hidden expertise can sometimes emerge, say about why a certain product was designed how it was.  Or a common designer was involved. 

Threads about sub woofers and DSP are some where there are a handful of contributors who know a lot.  Others about interpreting measurements in a particular way.  The list is endless!

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Here is a couple I enjoyed.  Each are part of a series by the same OP.  One is about DACs and the next instalment is linked at the end.   The other is about speakers. 

Edited by Nopiano
  • Like 1

The more time I spend here the more I think everyone else is barmey and I'm the sane one😅... 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, 2010*zuma said:

The more time I spend here the more I think everyone else is barmey and I'm the sane one😅... 

You're almost correct.

• Like 2

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, Phobic said:

be a geeky as you like, let's not debate controversial topics here but do include links so people have the information to make their own minds up!

Good idea - but I guess we could debate for ages which are the must read threads.  What is certain is in this hobby you are always learning and finding out new stuff or rediscovering things you had forgotten over the years; 

I did make a suggestion to the "board of governors" to set up a search facility so you could do a search to find associated threads.  I thought it would help us when we wanted to look summat up and also prevent re asking of the same questions.  Such a facility might just deal with your thoughts - though going forward it might need some index markers (I haven't put my head to that one yet .. but if the threads had a type in the header .. turntable - ss amps .. valve amps .. bookshelf loudspeakers and compact floor standers .. etc etc thjat might be a start - just search on turntables and get all the threads to thumb through etc. 

I am hoping when i get older that the old mind will not ring a bell and have me searching all the pages for previous threads.  

• Like 1

threads go so far ''off topic'' on such a regular basis you could search on SUT's and find pages on DAC's. The only real way is live and learn.

8 hours ago, uzzy said:

but if the threads had a type in the header .. turntable - ss amps .. valve amps .. bookshelf loudspeakers and compact floor standers .. etc etc thjat might be a start - just search on turntables and get all the threads to thumb through etc. 

Thread starters have the option to add and edit 'Tags' that could work this way to a degree but it's clunky. I added a 'Subwoofer' tag to my subs for music thread, and clicking on this will give a list of other threads with the same Tag. I may be missing something obvious but what I can't see a way to do though is to search directly for a particular Tag by typing in what you want.

9 hours ago, uzzy said:

Good idea - but I guess we could debate for ages which are the must read threads.  

we don't need to debate it, it's down to the reader to decided what's important or not to them :)

9 hours ago, uzzy said:

I did make a suggestion to the "board of governors" to set up a search facility so you could do a search to find associated threads.  I thought it would help us when we wanted to look summat up and also prevent re asking of the same questions.  Such a facility might just deal with your thoughts - though going forward it might need some index markers (I haven't put my head to that one yet .. but if the threads had a type in the header .. turntable - ss amps .. valve amps .. bookshelf loudspeakers and compact floor standers .. etc etc thjat might be a start - just search on turntables and get all the threads to thumb through etc. 

something else would be a be help I think.

I quite like the idea of a wiki personally, I think there are some trusted individuals on this board who can write objectively about topics. Even just having an area where good topics can be achieved or stickied would help

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Thread starters have the option to add and edit 'Tags' that could work this way to a degree but it's clunky. I added a 'Subwoofer' tag to my subs for music thread, and clicking on this will give a list of other threads with the same Tag. I may be missing something obvious but what I can't see a way to do though is to search directly for a particular Tag by typing in what you want.

it's a shame the tags aren't used more but it would help a lot if they were. Not sure if they could work when a thread goes off topic though.

11 hours ago, Nopiano said:

There are lots of interesting topics that can be found with a search.  But some of the best are disguised by woolly headings, or where they head off at a tangent.  I’m thinking of a current one about PMCs where the OP ordered some ATCs!  Or any number about DACs that ended up debating design differences or measurement.  Or cable ones where almost nobody is persuaded by anyone else!

There is often a subtlety that isn’t obvious without careful reading, or until probing further.

I think this is a key point, I think the way lots of people read this forum is they dip into the threads that have relevant titles and don't bother reading threads that don't seem relevant - I'm the same, I didn't follow the PMC thread at all but now I want to go and read it to see if the tangent's of interest.

people can link to specific posts within a thread though, you don't need to make people read the whole thread if it's not related.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Phobic said:

it's a shame the tags aren't used more but it would help a lot if they were. Not sure if they could work when a thread goes off topic though.

The OP could edit the tags to add in reference to the new content.

The issue is where there's some interesting stuff burried in the middle of a monster thread. I remember seeing some interesting digital audio related links in the middle of the huge Qutest vs ADI-2 thread for example.

• Like 1

The search box works, but unless you're going to get to crazy levels of AI software, it's always going to be limited. No 'normal' search function can deal with the fact that the vast majority of threads on the vast majority of subjects veer wildly off topic on the vast majority of occasions.

It is what it is. It helps to use the search function to avoid starting yet another circular argument about something that's been endlessly debated already. But be prepared to wade though the inevitable amount of mud before coming across any flowers growing in it.