JensA

Which vintage Linn speakers to buy? Need advice,,,

On 19/10/2020 at 22:16, PhotoMax said:

What is the consensus on Katans?

My dad has katans and they really rock!

I'm always amazed at how much slam those tiny speakers have, lovely level detail too.

My sister even bought a pair recently for a lot less than £200, complete bargain.

I have 212s i paid just over £1000 for and I much prefer their systems but that is entirely down to my listening room, which hits its musical peak with a mobile phone in a pint glass.

• Upvote 1

I have previously owned Keilidhs and Indexes. I would highly recommend the Keilidhs in either passive or active mode. Never tried them with an Exact box, but they are are a great speaker. If you go for them, make sure you get the bases as they make a difference. 

Indexes where nothing inspiring an I soon moved them on.

I currently have Akudoriks and if you can find them at a price you can afford, don’t overlook them. I also have a pair of Kan 2’s in my second system and they continue to amaze. If you can get a pair with the original stands you will be pleasantly surprised. If you need a bit more bass, just throw in a sub woofer and you won’t go wrong.

Edited by Billz

Super Wammer

Active Katans fed by a FiiP DAP, MF v-DAC, passive pre-amp and AV5125:

http://audiophilemusings.blogspot.com/2015/03/scalford-system-2015-feeback-from.html?m=1

Super Wammer

At Kegworth with Majik 126 sub and Akirate Exakt:

http://audiophilemusings.blogspot.com/2018/04/post-kegworth-musings-2018.html?m=1

13 hours ago, TooManyCatweazles said:

I'd expect Exakted Keltiks to beat the shit out of M140s. Disclaimer: I haven't owned either of them, and know both only from my dealer's demos. The M140s are ok with a reasonable frontend.

BUT

The Keltiks are a different kind of beast - as in: much more authority.

When Katalyst was introduced, many Linn dealers ran Katalyst events. So did mine. We had a conversation by phone a few weeks earlier, and I sort of talked him into bringing his ~ 30yr old Keltiks from his home to the shop and give it a go. So he played his Keltiks alternatively via two Akurate Exaktboxes (one with katalyst, and one vintage) this evening. The result was, that the audience refused to move to the second room, where another demo had been planned. The unanimous decision was: "Let's stay here and enjoy more music." It was a bit like in the old days, when I had my friends over to listen to some new records - only the music we listened to very pretty much vintage.

Keltiks are really good speakers, but as I learned that evening they apparently need ~30 yrs to burn in ;)

With integrated exaktboxes?

2 hours ago, Pennypacker said:

With integrated exaktboxes?

AFAIK Keltiks don't sport integrated electronics, neither amps, nor Exakt. Thus, they need supporting boxes outside. A good approach - after what i've read on this forum - appears to be the Exaktbox-I which features 8 Exaktbox Channes plus 8 amp channels in one case. What I heard was an Akurate Exaktbox plus separate Akurate amps. More boxes and budget, and most likely a slightly better sound. If you think about moving to Keltiks, think what you have already that coud be re-purposed.

24 minutes ago, TooManyCatweazles said:

AFAIK Keltiks don't sport integrated electronics, neither amps, nor Exakt. Thus, they need supporting boxes outside. A good approach - after what i've read on this forum - appears to be the Exaktbox-I which features 8 Exaktbox Channes plus 8 amp channels in one case. What I heard was an Akurate Exaktbox plus separate Akurate amps. More boxes and budget, and most likely a slightly better sound. If you think about moving to Keltiks, think what you have already that coud be re-purposed.

Well, I already own a AEBI, this would means swapping the M140 to Kelitik would be straight forward.

I spoke to a fellow Linn owner a couple of years ago, actually the seller of my first S/H M140's he ran Kelitiks with x100 amps and klimax analogue cross-overs. He stated that the x100 weren't really up to the job, also note that this was pre-SO.

AEBI/K has 8 x 100 amps on-board, so I see a parallel with the x100 amps, however, things being exakt, this might change the outcome.

Swapping M140 for Keltiks seems like a killer system (theoretically at least).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pennypacker said:

Well, I already own a AEBI, this would means swapping the M140 to Kelitik would be straight forward.

I spoke to a fellow Linn owner a couple of years ago, actually the seller of my first S/H M140's he ran Kelitiks with x100 amps and klimax analogue cross-overs. He stated that the x100 weren't really up to the job, also note that this was pre-SO.

AEBI/K has 8 x 100 amps on-board, so I see a parallel with the x100 amps, however, things being exakt, this might change the outcome.

Swapping M140 for Keltiks seems like a killer system (theoretically at least).

The biggest challenge is to lend some Keltiks somewhere, and heave them into your place, methinks

19 hours ago, Eldarboy said:

+1

The AV5140s are such an under-rated speaker. I never understood why they have essentially been over-looked by the Linn community. I preferred them greatly over the Keilidhs they replaced.

@TooManyCatweazles @Eldarboy

Thanks for mentioning the AV5140's.

What would you deem a reasonable price for a pair with original stones and usual scratches on the surface?

28 minutes ago, JensA said:

What would you deem a reasonable price for a pair with original stones and usual scratches on the surface?

Actually, I have no idea. The best one can do is looking on the web for the asked price, to make an informed decision. HifiShark is usually a good resource for this:

https://www.hifishark.com/model/linn-av-5140

Note that some AV5140 had the tweeters upgraded to the Espek tweeter, either because the old tweeter needed replacement, or because they liked them better. If you go Exakt, Linn provides filters for both variants.
It goes without saying that Espeks - which are practically AV5140 2.0 ;-)  - are also an eligible choice.

From this forum I'm under the impression, that Keilidhs are more popular, though to my experience the AV5140 is the better speaker. Thus the Keilidhs may act as a price anchor in negotiating a price.

PS: Did you see these beauties? https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/rotel-cd-tuner-plattenspieler-thorens-boxen-linn-av5140/1511344296-172-811

Ratzeburg is not that far from Hamburg, if you want to give them a try. They have the original tweeters.

Edited by TooManyCatweazles
  • Haha 1

@TooManyCatweazles

4 hours ago, TooManyCatweazles said:

PS: Did you see these beauties? https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/rotel-cd-tuner-plattenspieler-thorens-boxen-linn-av5140/1511344296-172-811

Ratzeburg is not that far from Hamburg, if you want to give them a try. They have the original tweeters.

@TooManyCatweazles (aka "Sherlock"): My question about the "reasonable price" for 5140's might indeed be related to a forthcoming Ratzeburg trip this weekend :D

Edited by JensA
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
7 hours ago, TooManyCatweazles said:

The biggest challenge is to lend some Keltiks somewhere, and heave them into your place, methinks

Or take the Exaktbox to the Keltiks. It will be better for your back :)

• Haha 1

Super Wammer
6 hours ago, JensA said:

I've seen them for not much more than Keilidhs - 300 to 450 gbp. Espek (which is a big improvement, according to popular opinion) more like 600gbp.

AV5140s are really hard to make work correctly, you might never get there (I've heard several pairs and owned a pair run active for a few weeks, for me they've only sounded good in a home movie system).