Carlbkk1

Estelon speakers - have you heard them?

Does anyone own or has anyone had a demo of Estelon speakers?  I just recalled hearing them a few years ago with Vitus amps at the Windsor show and my interest has suddenly perked up.  They look incredible (IMO) and I remember that system was one of the best of the show.  New prices are beyond reach, but now they're appearing occasionally second hand and dealer ex demo.

What do they do well?  What not so well?

Particular interested in the standmount XCs or the floorstanding XBs.

Estelon XB.jpg

Estelon XC.jpg

Hi, I have heard the floorstanders and I felt the sound was one of the best I've ever heard. How much of this was the speakers and how much the equipment that was feeding them is hard to say, but I was familiar with the amp as had borrowed it and used it in my own system. It was definitely on the warm side of neutral. The source was a DCS stack and I played both CD's and streamed music from a custom made audio PC. 

My listening wasn't hugely extensive in terms of different genres, but I had no complaints with regards to what I did hear, some blues, rock and pop, female vocals etc. I didn't play anything very heavy in terms of rock, but my friend, who owns the speakers, had done a comparison with some Avalons at a dealers and stated that they handled rock a whole lot better. This may have had more to do with the Avalons as, having owned a pair myself, I'd say that rock and 'driving' music is not their forte.

Not sure if this is much help. But, I do always refer to this system as one of, if not the best that I've heard.

Marmite looks, personally I'd have to put a sack over the floorstanders. 

• Like 1

I've heard the bigger models at Munich a few times and been very impressed with them. I like the styling, too and the finish is first class.

I owned a pair of Avalon Indra speakers for 8 years and when I was looking for a replacement, I auditioned Avalon Compas speakers (kindly loaned by Studio AV) at home for an extended period. They improved on the bass delivery but something was not quite right (to my ears) from the midrange upwards!

I had listened to Estelon XA speakers in the KOG demo at The Windsor Hi Fi Show and Fraser very kindly delivered a pair of XA's (in a matt white finish) which I then listened to in my system over the course of a few weeks.

I liked them! They were detailed, dynamic and presented a convincing soundstage! They were good on all types of music, including rock, where they 'kicked' well, in the all-important mid bass range

The only problem was SWMBO! She pronounced them "hideous" and I knew that my search would have to continue and the Estelon XA's were duly collected by KOG!

Next up were TAD CR1's and on seeing them, SWBO announced "Oh! I like them. They match the curtains!"

Fortunately, they also delivered everything I was looking for, audio-wise, so they ended up as my "keepers!"

As for the Estelons, I think Jerry is right, when he described their looks as Marmite!

They are exceptionally well-finished, are available in a range of stunning colour options and can be found, second-hand for under £20K.

fullsizeoutput_1ee4.jpeg

• Like 3

Your wife has good taste! 

• Haha 1

I think they look amazing as well. I do like a good looking speaker.

3 hours ago, Snoopdog said:

fullsizeoutput_1ee4.jpeg

@Snoopdog is that your pad? if it is what room treatment are you using? looks very interesting 

Absolutely ... they've got a melted look to me, they started off as a normal looking speaker but most of it has slumped to the bottom. :/ and then someone came along and randomly sliced the top off. 

Edited by JANDL100
  • Haha 2

I find the floorstanders beautiful. The standmounts are weird.

Some active model(s?) have HQPlayer NAA installed. That means one can use one of the best music (upsampling and filtering) players and room EQ just by connecting the speakes to a computer.

12 hours ago, Phobic said:

I think they look amazing as well. I do like a good looking speaker.

@Snoopdog is that your pad? if it is what room treatment are you using? looks very interesting 

Yes. Acustica Applicata DAAD room tuning from Italy.

I have four of the largest DAAD 4's in each room corner. Stacked on top, are four DAAD 3's and another stack of DAAD 3's, between the speakers, on the front wall, help to solidify the centre image. Two DAAD 2's are placed either side of this centre stack to deal with secondary reflections and a couple of smaller Studio DAAD 2's also feature!

DAAD's have absorbing and reflecting aspects and can be turned to tune in the sound in a room. They mitigate the pooling of boomy bass in the room corners and even out the bass response throughout the room. I have used them for some years and can recommend them highly!

http://www.acusticaapplicata.com/prodotti.php?lang=eng

• Like 1

Super Dealer
3 hours ago, tuga said:

Hi-Fi News' tecnical assessment:

kS1hGCd.png

Wow hadn’t seen that before.

Keith

Super Dealer
19 hours ago, Snoopdog said:

I owned a pair of Avalon Indra speakers for 8 years and when I was looking for a replacement, I auditioned Avalon Compas speakers (kindly loaned by Studio AV) at home for an extended period. They improved on the bass delivery but something was not quite right (to my ears) from the midrange upwards!

I had listened to Estelon XA speakers in the KOG demo at The Windsor Hi Fi Show and Fraser very kindly delivered a pair of XA's (in a matt white finish) which I then listened to in my system over the course of a few weeks.

I liked them! They were detailed, dynamic and presented a convincing soundstage! They were good on all types of music, including rock, where they 'kicked' well, in the all-important mid bass range

The only problem was SWMBO! She pronounced them "hideous" and I knew that my search would have to continue and the Estelon XA's were duly collected by KOG!

Next up were TAD CR1's and on seeing them, SWBO announced "Oh! I like them. They match the curtains!"

Fortunately, they also delivered everything I was looking for, audio-wise, so they ended up as my "keepers!"

As for the Estelons, I think Jerry is right, when he described their looks as Marmite!

They are exceptionally well-finished, are available in a range of stunning colour options and can be found, second-hand for under £20K.

You piqued my interest to look at the TAD CR1 and found this which I guess is you. Nice!!

https://www.audioshark.org/speakers-10/tad-vivid-12504.html#post212747

• Like 1

I've never listened to the TAD Compact Reference 1s (CR1) but I've spent a bit of time listening to the floorstanding TAD Reference 1s a couple of times.

They're one of the best speakers I've listened to.