Carlbkk1

Estelon speakers - have you heard them?

35 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

You piqued my interest to look at the TAD CR1 and found this which I guess is you. Nice!!

https://www.audioshark.org/speakers-10/tad-vivid-12504.html#post212747

Guilty as charged! :D

Super Dealer

@Snoopdog And you told your wife they were amazing value at £500 per pair and those dCS boxes were no doubt well within budget at £100 each?

Nice kit though. Lucky guy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Fourlegs said:

@Snoopdog And you told your wife they were amazing value at £500 per pair and those dCS boxes were no doubt well within budget at £100 each?

Nice kit though. Lucky guy.

Thanks mate!

auto-9gag-1198518.jpeg

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Snoopdog said:

I owned a pair of Avalon Indra speakers for 8 years and when I was looking for a replacement, I auditioned Avalon Compas speakers (kindly loaned by Studio AV) at home for an extended period. They improved on the bass delivery but something was not quite right (to my ears) from the midrange upwards!

I had listened to Estelon XA speakers in the KOG demo at The Windsor Hi Fi Show and Fraser very kindly delivered a pair of XA's (in a matt white finish) which I then listened to in my system over the course of a few weeks.

I liked them! They were detailed, dynamic and presented a convincing soundstage! They were good on all types of music, including rock, where they 'kicked' well, in the all-important mid bass range

The only problem was SWMBO! She pronounced them "hideous" and I knew that my search would have to continue and the Estelon XA's were duly collected by KOG!

Next up were TAD CR1's and on seeing them, SWBO announced "Oh! I like them. They match the curtains!"

Fortunately, they also delivered everything I was looking for, audio-wise, so they ended up as my "keepers!"

As for the Estelons, I think Jerry is right, when he described their looks as Marmite!

They are exceptionally well-finished, are available in a range of stunning colour options and can be found, second-hand for under £20K.

fullsizeoutput_1ee4.jpeg

I think in that room the Estelons look perfect.  Aesthetically I like TADs, but they do have that classic look and some prefer that.  Going further down that road are designs like ATC's which IMO would look completely out of place in your room, but maybe acceptable in a room with more bare wood and older furniture.

In terms of sound, I've heard the TADs and they were remarkable...but we're talking min. 15K second hand I think, whereas the Estelon XAs are about 8K.  A bit worrying reading that HFN lab report though!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Carlbkk1 said:

I think in that room the Estelons look perfect.  Aesthetically I like TADs, but they do have that classic look and some prefer that.  Going further down that road are designs like ATC's which IMO would look completely out of place in your room, but maybe acceptable in a room with more bare wood and older furniture.

In terms of sound, I've heard the TADs and they were remarkable...but we're talking min. 15K second hand I think, whereas the Estelon XAs are about 8K.  A bit worrying reading that HFN lab report though!

I didn't care much for the style of the speakers but in the above picture they do look absolutely stunning !!

Edited by egg1dog
  • Like 1

We have owned Estelon XB's for a number of years, demo'ed against Avalons and we had heard many speakers at a similar price range.  The Estelons are absolutely fantastic speakers and very rarely come up for sale second hand.  Easy to listen to over long periods and never seem to fatigue in anyway.  We did try a Vitus amp, it was completely out classed by a Audionet Amp 1 V2.  Now moved on to a Audionet Humboldt and I guess the weak link in the chain is now the Estelons, simply no idea what to change them to but happy with the system as it stands.