mr neds

B&w cm7 Vs dynaudio emit M20?

I remember you saying this last year, before I bought the Dyn's. At that point, I wasn't looking for floorstanders, as I though bookshelf and sub were the way to go, even though I think you offered a listen to the combo at your house? I'm still thinking of staying with the bookshelf/sub option, but my local dealer has shop window used bargains for the locals, which generally aren't on the website and I just swooned slightly! I was 60 last week and I just felt a buying itch, as if I'd earned something ;)

For context, I believe you use a subwoofer with your current speakers @mr neds?

How severe is your hearing loss at 4-6 kHz? Depending on this you might find a DSP option that provides compensation for this the best way to go. Have we possibly discussed this before actually?

Hi Martin. I haven't had a hearing test for about 7 years, but I seem to remember the Audiologist telling me that I had the hearing loss of a man in his 60's- I was 53! I've got a hearing aid for the worst ear, but it isn't hi fi, to say the least. However, I can't afford the price of the super hearing aids that have been discussed on this very forum. DSP, as discussed in your subwoofer post, isn't a cheap option, but I guess then, if my hearing becomes worse (which it surely will), the DSP can be adjusted?

30 minutes ago, mr neds said:

Hi Martin. I haven't had a hearing test for about 7 years, but I seem to remember the Audiologist telling me that I had the hearing loss of a man in his 60's- I was 53! I've got a hearing aid for the worst ear, but it isn't hi fi, to say the least. However, I can't afford the price of the super hearing aids that have been discussed on this very forum. DSP, as discussed in your subwoofer post, isn't a cheap option, but I guess then, if my hearing becomes worse (which it surely will), the DSP can be adjusted?

If you have become accustomed to the loss then I don't think it makes sense to EQ that range as there's a chance it'll sound bad/unnatural.

But I would advise against getting speakers with a built-in EQ/loss in the same range such as many B&Ws because this will lower the amplitude of sounds in a range where you're naturally less sensitive.

Point taken, Ric. As I said, I thought that the CM7's would have a slightly elevated presence, but obviously not the case. True also that a speaker with an elevated presence band would likely sound wrong. The manager at my local dealer said more or less the same when I told him about the hearing loss. I said that I probably wouldn't be buying much from them in the future. He said that even with hearing loss, I'd still be able to tell if something sounded bad or not and, largely, he was right!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mr neds said:

I remember you saying this last year, before I bought the Dyn's. At that point, I wasn't looking for floorstanders, as I though bookshelf and sub were the way to go, even though I think you offered a listen to the combo at your house? I'm still thinking of staying with the bookshelf/sub option, but my local dealer has shop window used bargains for the locals, which generally aren't on the website and I just swooned slightly! I was 60 last week and I just felt a buying itch, as if I'd earned something ;)

Not saying get floorstanders, much less the RS6s. MA produce some great speakers, including the newer Silver 100s. Either that, which are a better combo than you have or buy the Leema which synergise great with Dyns. The choice is yours. I can't do anymore. But ignore valve amps with your current speakers. Valve amps are great, but on your budget you won't get better than the Pulse or MA standmounts with your A19.

3 hours ago, tuga said:

If you have become accustomed to the loss then I don't think it makes sense to EQ that range as there's a chance it'll sound bad/unnatural.

You may be right there. Differing hearing loss in each ear would also complicate the situation.

@mr neds is your hearing aid designed to specifically compensate for the drop in your hearing sensitivity at 4-6 kHz, or is it a more broad-brush, make everything louder type of thing? Forgive me if this is a silly question - I'll admit I know essentially nothing about hearing aids.

Your hearing is mapped on a graph, then your aid is digitally programmed with the inverse curve to lift the required frequencies. Clever stuff, eh?

10 minutes ago, mr neds said:

Your hearing is mapped on a graph, then your aid is digitally programmed with the inverse curve to lift the required frequencies. Clever stuff, eh?

In that case, ignore my comment about DSP to apply a correction since your hearing aid is already doing this :). Similarly I don't think your speaker choice should therefore be influenced by what your uncorrected hearing is like.

Have you dug your 8000A out yet?

• Upvote 1

Sorry, I didn’t mention that I don’t use the hearing aid. Apart from the audio quality issue - it’s a Siemens NHS one- it uses what I think are called air batteries, which start to run down as soon as the protective film is peeled off to put them in, so even if you turn the aid off, which involves swinging open the battery holder, they run down pretty rapidly, so it’s in a drawer doing nothing. Found out yesterday that we have to go into self isolation, so that gives me a week or so to play with the other gear I’ve got 😁