toms wait

LV speakers

2 minutes ago, notevenclose said:

Interestingly Roy Gregory came to much the same conclusion in a recent review of the R25A, suggesting it is indeed something very special. 

But they need space apparently and that is something I don't really have.  The room is about 3.2 x 4m into a bay and houses about 1000 cd's, 800-900 lp's, a big sofa, tv, all my hifi gear the speakers are jammed in about 600x600mm square.  It has been commented on elsewhere that my speakers are awfully close to my kit especially the TT they are also close to the front wall.

That rug really brings the room together, dude...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, rabski said:

Posted before, but this is how I have mine...

room.jpg

That's about the size of my entire ground floor!  Not envy just observation, I work in Architecture so can compare that easy to mine.

If that room or one of similar size was mine it would have to have gigantic horns or what the hell a PA!  Up to 11

Edited by toms wait
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, toms wait said:

But they need space apparently and that is something I don't really have.  The room is about 3.2 x 4m into a bay and houses about 1000 cd's, 800-900 lp's, a big sofa, tv, all my hifi gear the speakers are jammed in about 600x600mm square.  It has been commented on elsewhere that my speakers are awfully close to my kit especially the TT they are also close to the front wall.

They can actually work in a surprisingly small space. That said, I confess I sold my OBX-RWs when I downsized from a house to a flat and a room which was less than two-thirds of the size they'd previously been in. With hindsight, I think the biggest problem was that I never re-adjusted to how they sounded in a smaller space with my sitting of necessity almost 5 feet closer to them, which would obviously represent a substantially different listening experience even in the same room.

And with the ever-popular 20/20 hindsight, after the fallout from a toxic relationship, I was keen to draw a line and start again with everything. Nowadays with my head out of my arse I think I could probably have got a much better result out of them in the smaller room. Since I sold them 4 years ago and moved to a house with a bigger room — and some different challenges — just a week ago, we'll never know...

Edited by notevenclose

13 minutes ago, rabski said:

room.jpg

Subwoofer incorporating aquatic residents. Nice touch.

• Like 1

LVs "un-engaging forgettable" - that sums up my experiences of them. 

Mostly heard at other folks' gaffs and at Scalford, but I did have a pair pass through my system, very rapidly. 

I'm sure Rabbers knows what he is talking about, and setup may well be critical, and I don't think I've ever heard any in a large space, but I've never heard any that were in any way inspiring. 

Edited by JANDL100
  • Like 1

I'll tell you what started this, browsing Ebay prior to booze, I found a nice pair of LV Avatar OBX-R just under £2,000 in Yew (don't touch too much, it is poisonous)

4 minutes ago, JANDL100 said:

but I did have a pair pass through my system, very rapidly.

OUCH...that would be enough to put anyone off 'em :?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Too much roughage that day, obviously. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, toms wait said:

I'll tell you what started this, browsing Ebay prior to booze, I found a nice pair of LV Avatar OBX-R just under £2,000 in Yew (don't touch too much, it is poisonous)

Not sure 2k for first generation OBX-Rs is 'bite his hand off' territory to be honest. Those would be, what, at least 16 years old? OBX-R2 appeared around May 2004 IIRC. Might be a bit tired, probably the drivers would benefit from a refoam, so maybe factor that into total costs.

Alternatively, get totally hammered, bid 5k for them at about 2am, just before passing out, and get a real big surprise when they turn up in a few days time.

Edited by notevenclose

Super Dealer

I have also known Kevin since his early days when he operated out of the terraced house in West Bridgford and indeed for quite a few years I did the photo shopping and graphic design on his monthly adverts in Gramophone and other magazines. I have owned various iterations of the Dali 104 Living Voice speakers including Avatar II, IBX-RW  OBX-RW2 and then OBX-RW3. I admit that I probably enjoyed the Avatar II as much as any of them and I still smile at some of the evenings I had listening to live R3 concerts through them. 

Any of us who know and love Kevin have the utmost respect for what he does but we also know that it isn't even safe to leave our wallets at home if we visit Long Eaton and have some of their coffee (I think they drug it to lower resistance).

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I am afraid I am the opposite, embarrassingly I have bought/borrowed and returned many things when he has gone into Kevin-speak about an amp or something which I have taken home and found to be a little above average or just not different enough to spend £1000's on.  I guess I am either poor, tight or cloth-eared or most likely all three.  

21 minutes ago, notevenclose said:

Not sure 2k for first generation OBX-Rs is 'bite his hand off' territory to be honest. Those would be, what, at least 16 years old? OBX-R2 appeared around May 2004 IIRC. Might be a bit tired, probably the drivers would benefit from a refoam, so maybe factor that into total costs.

Alternatively, get totally hammered, bid 5k for them at about 2am, just before passing out, and get a real big surprise when they turn up in a few days time.

I am not bidding, I have no idea of the age.  They just caught my eye for the personal history but I never got to know the model hierarchy or years etc.

53 minutes ago, notevenclose said:

Subwoofer incorporating aquatic residents. Nice touch.

Lovely room and set up .....even teddy looks well pissed in a good way......:D

1 hour ago, rabski said:

room.jpg

That room deserves the three way Heco's. 😁