Paulssurround

What Would Complement Linn’s Product Lineup?

28 minutes ago, TooManyCatweazles said:

There is no Keel for the Aro arm. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Not completely wrong. There was a variant of the Keel for the Aro until 2016. And there are dealer websites that are saying that Linn is planning a limited rerun of the product (See https://www.adventuresinhifi.com/lp12-breaking-news-linn-keel-for-naim-aro/). Presumably, when that's gone, it's gone.

AFAIK, there never has been a variant of the Kore for the Aro, which was discontinued long before the Kore was developed.

David

Edited by DavidHB
  • Like 1

Hi David

Kore may be ordered with a Linn, Rega, SME, or Naim cut armboard though aside from prototypes I personally have never seen or fitted one with a third party tonearm.

The number of ARO sold was actually surprisingly small and after the initial run of ARO Keels the strategy became a case of only producing pre-sold batches of no less than twenty to keep production costs manageable - Keels to that point were only supplied by a third party.

A speaker line with built in exakt dac + single amp and a passive filter. Later upgradable to full exakt active filters and separate amps. 

And mono and 2-channel amps with exakt input. 

Edited by Harryup

Katalyst for 520/530 and series 3;

M109 active.

Entry level Urika II with MM.

M.

• Like 2

On 27/10/2020 at 02:40, macfan said:

@TooManyCatweazles I think a CD player would be nice - perhaps an upsampling player that could have the following features...

1. Exakt Link output like the Urika-II
  2. SPDIF output to support high sample rates
  3. Perhaps make it a transport only as other Linn products will have the required input
  4. Custom firmware for the CD transport to precisely control the plater and lens.
  5. Display could be OLED like the SDSM and you could turn it off or no display - DSM hardware reads data in ExactLink stream to display CD track information
  6. Perhaps the transport could be something like the old Pioneer stable plater transport if one was ambitious. 
  7. Maybe make it a top loader to echo the LP12

A product like this preserves the investment we have in optical media. While I have a Melco Server and their CD ripper/player that feeds the USB input on the Selekt DSM, I would buy something like this is a heartbeat.

Perhaps call it the CD12-T where the -T is for transport. MSRP $4,000 USD or $3,371 EUR or $3,066 GBP

Thoughts?

Would you be interested in a player that outputs using the SCD protocol over the Ethernet, @macfan? This way you got the clocking and DAC from your DS/DSM. The transport is checked with the Accurate Rip database to ensure bit perfect streaming.

If you're interested in testing, drop me a line :)

On 21/10/2020 at 16:08, StellanH said:

A new CD player :D

I think Linn could add a lot of products to the range, but they will not, because they do not "believe" in certain technology anymore like CD, or analogue preamp, or analogue active speakers. 

I also understand that they have to limit their product portfolio. However, I find that portfolio quite anemic today. Lots of product types have been ditched the last few years. 

I don´t "believe" in streaming, so they will not sell me a DSM....

What about a CD and DS/DSM combo (two boxes), @StellanH? :>

It's been mentioned before, but why not reintroduce the subs/'bass reinforcement' range?

I can't imagine life without my M126! 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, kelly200269 said:

It's been mentioned before, but why not reintroduce the subs/'bass reinforcement' range?

I can't imagine life without my M126! 

I would like to see a Linn subwoofer as well, perhaps with an option to have a built in Exakt Subbox, and then the sub would only need to be connected with an Exaktlink cable.

‘Even better if Linn partnered with a company that already makes subwoofers to Linn specs, and then had the Exakt Subbox built in.

• Like 2

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Paulssurround said:

I would like to see a Linn subwoofer as well, perhaps with an option to have a built in Exakt Subbox, and then the sub would only need to be connected with an Exaktlink cable.

‘Even better if Linn partnered with a company that already makes subwoofers to Linn specs, and then had the Exakt Subbox built in.

That would be great.

I wish Exakt.Design would allow Exaktbox sub design capabilities, but its not part of the functionality :(

• Like 1

I think subs are amongst the most underrated equipment options around.

• Like 3

Along these lines, and since Linn have gotten back into the surround sound business with their surround module, I'd say a centre channel and subwoofer (bass extender) are in order. Interestingly, the Majik 112 centre speaker is currently available in Japan.

http://linn.jp/products/speakers/majik-112/

• Upvote 1

On 23/10/2020 at 09:20, DavidHB said:

Good point, and great picture. When I was reading up on the Klout, I believed that I read that later versions of the Klout were fitted with the Brilliant PS, but as I can't seem to find that reference any more, I'd better assume that I was wrong. What I believe is not wrong is that both the Klout and the Solo use bipolar transistor amplification in Class AB configuration. This contrasts with the later Chakra design, which uses a MOSFET IC at the low power levels that are required most of the time, but then engages bipolar amplification, controlled by the IC, to meet higher power demands. 

David 

A little more history.  The Klout always used a linear power supply.  The Klimax Solo was the first power amplifier, from any company to my understanding, to use switch mode power supplies and it was quite a surprise to the industry as it was felt at the time that a SMPS could not be used for power amps, much less one rated at 290/500 Watts into 8/4 Ohms.  Otherwise the circuit was a further development of the Klout which was a further development of the LK280/SPARK.  The LK280/SPARK was more of a true mono block type of amp as the SPARK had two AC cables, two transformers and two sets of filter caps, rectifiers and regulators feeding the two separate audio boards in the LK280 case via two umbilical cables.  See the photo.  Unfortunately, the LK280/SPARK was questionable from an electrical safety standpoint and the Klout was designed to put it all back into one box with some further improvements.

One of other big differences in the Klimax Solo is the power output.  The Klout and the LK280 used 2 output devices per channel, one for the plus part of the waveform and one for the minus.  This was also used in the Naim amps of the time and is still used in many popular amps, including the Lejonklou units.  One thing you will notice about amps like the NAP250, LK280 and Klout is output power in the range of 60 to 85 Watts into 8 Ohms.  With the power transistors available that was about the max you could get out.  Note that even the Akurate amps and Klimax Twin of today max out at 111 Wats into 8 Ohms.  The Klimax Solo was the first Linn amp to use multiple output devices to allow higher output power.  The Solo had 4 output transistors for the plus and 4 for the minus waveform to allow for higher power.  These have to be very precisely matched as any difference between the 4 transistors in a bank will lose some musical information.  Because of this there are many music lovers who shy away from high-powered amplifiers feeling that they lack the purity of simpler designs with minimal output devices.  One reason the Klout, NAP250 and others are still held in high regard by many.

SPARK.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, akamatsu said:

Along these lines, and since Linn have gotten back into the surround sound business with their surround module, I'd say a centre channel and subwoofer (bass extender) are in order. Interestingly, the Majik 112 centre speaker is currently available in Japan.

http://linn.jp/products/speakers/majik-112/

The Majik 112 is still in the product lineup and even available in your choice of designer colors for an extra charge, as with the other speakers and LP12 plinth.

54 minutes ago, ThomasOK said:

The Majik 112 is still in the product lineup and even available in your choice of designer colors for an extra charge, as with the other speakers and LP12 plinth.

I didn't realize it was still available in NA and European markets. Maybe because I can't find it on www.linn.co.uk.

Edited by akamatsu

1 hour ago, akamatsu said:

I didn't realize it was still available in NA and European markets. Maybe because I can't find it on www.linn.co.uk.

As regards the website, the less said the better.

The 112 can be found in the current Price List (it costs £790 in the UK.

David

• Like 1