RecordProd

Has anyone put a Clearaudio tonearm on to a Technics 1200?

Super Wammer
7 hours ago, uzzy said:

n fact the problem (which led to my comment) was nothing in your posting said anything about the arm being "non Standard"

I beg to differ, I stated that it was a 3009 upgraded by Sonik Sircle.

The thing with The Technics 1200 is that everyone has for many years called it a DJ deck, but it was originally sold as a Hi-Fi  deck (for what that terminology is worth) and was adopted by DJ's in the 70's.The SP10 was originally designed for use in Radio broadcast studios'  The British Hi-Fi industry (as I am sure you know) at that time was very anti direct drive, in fact if it was not a Linn it was not worth having:doh:. These decks therefore were under the radar, so to speak, in those Halcyon days of Audio. It is only in these more enlightened times, that people are seeing the benefit of DD Turntables, and giving them the respect they deserve.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, DomT said:

Three to four years ago I did lots of t/t research and was really interested in clearaudio decks and arms.   It’s not logical that their arms are not used more but I think that it’s just that many people have fixed ideas about what is ‘good’ and stick to that.

Given that many 1200 lovers say that the standard deck has serious flaws and spend a lot of money with custom parts it’s worth considering buying the new model and trying your Clearaudio arm on it.  Having directly compared my Luxman PD171 with Jelco 250 against an LP12 with Linn arm and an SME with SME arm and preferring the Luxman (and many other experiments) I am firmly in the camp that it’s best to invest in t/t first then arm. But if you are happy with your mk5 as is just go for it and if you don’t like it take it off again.

If times were less 'bumpy' I would have taken a good look at the 171, I still may...  :D

• Like 1

Super Wammer
7 minutes ago, RecordProd said:

If times were less 'bumpy' I would have taken a good look at the 171, I still may...  :D

The Luxman is a really great t/t and I am very happy with it. It was a complete surprise that I bought it was I had paid a deposit on an SME and when I went to collect it I saw that the dealer sold Luxman and so we did a demo or two. 

I have not compared it to the Technics though so don’t know how it would compare.

• Like 1

My own feeling FWIW is that the new GR and G models offer such an effective upgrade path that tinkering with older 1200s is no longer necessary, unless you are hell bent on replicating the specific qualities of the Clearaudio arm. I suspect even the GR would significantly close the gap in all round performance between your mk5 and your Concept.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, greybeard said:

The thing with The Technics 1200 is that everyone has for many years called it a DJ deck, but it was originally sold as a Hi-Fi  deck (for what that terminology is worth) and was adopted by DJ's in the 70's.The SP10 was originally designed for use in Radio broadcast studios'  The British Hi-Fi industry (as I am sure you know) at that time was very anti direct drive, in fact if it was not a Linn it was not worth having:doh:. These decks therefore were under the radar, so to speak, in those Halcyon days of Audio. It is only in these more enlightened times, that people are seeing the benefit of DD Turntables, and giving them the respect they deserve.

All I will say is I used to sell 1210s long before they became a DJ deck - they first appeared in 1972 (although I do not recall seeing one in the uk at that time) .. it was first marketed as a HiFi turntable as you say.    The industry was not anti direct drive - we used to sell enough of them back in the day and used the monster Micro Seiki in the dem room (and sold a fair few of those too), a lot of reviewers were anti direct drive (probably due to pressure elsewhere on removing advertising) so I can only quote from my experience where they were never under the radar -  we set em up and let the customers choose which they wanted.   In 1979 when the mark 2 came out people were getting up with being fed the same reviewer diet and so we sold quite a few of these and many other direct drives.

As to respect - I cannot understand why you think people do not respect them - we do - it is just some of us think compared to turntables with more mass and better plinths and isolation sound a lot better .. 

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, greybeard said:

All I will say is I used to sell 1210s long before they became a DJ deck - they first appeared in 1972 (although I do not recall seeing one in the uk at that time) .. it was first marketed as a HiFi turntable as you say.    The industry was not anti direct drive - we used to sell enough of them back in the day and used the monster Micro Seiki in the dem room (and sold a fair few of those too), a lot of reviewers were anti direct drive (probably due to pressure elsewhere on removing advertising) so I can only quote from my experience where they were never under the radar -  we set em up and let the customers choose which they wanted.   In 1979 when the mark 2 came out people were getting up with being fed the same reviewer diet and so we sold quite a few of these and many other direct drives.

As to respect - I cannot understand why you think people do not respect them - we do - it is just some of us think compared to turntables with more mass and better plinths and isolation sound a lot better .. 

As  I said people need to put their ears around anything they buy and buy what they like the sound of best - we just differ in our personal taste and assessment and vive le difference - it would be tragic if we all felt the same way about everything as nothing would progress or change 

Edited by uzzy

To the OP.

Try the KAB thrust plate/wax mod. It's not expensive and IMO very worthwhile.

No, I 'm not going to start listing various mods. It's just that the thrust plate was the only component I thought was pretty shonky.

It's not expensive either.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@RecordProd, this is my 1210GR with Audio Note Arm Three, I got the arm board from Ammonite Audio.

The 1210GR s shaped arm pops out in it's own pod held in by three bolts after you take the base off, within an hour after getting the turntable home the arm board and tonearm were installed easy peasy.

1210GR.jpeg

Edited by JezR
  • Like 3

Super Wammer
47 minutes ago, JezR said:

@RecordProd, this is my 1210GR with Audio Note Arm Three, I got the arm board from Ammonite Audio.

The 1210GR s shaped arm pops out in it's own pod held in by three bolts after you take the base off, within an hour after getting the turntable home the arm board and tonearm were installed easy peasy.

1210GR.jpeg

Jez is that a Tenuto mat? How well does the AN arm work please? (Sorry to disturb  the thread)

15 minutes ago, DomT said:

Jez is that a Tenuto mat? How well does the AN arm work please? (Sorry to disturb  the thread)

Tenuto mat yes, purchased from Guy ( Puresound ) they are designed to fit perfectly on the Technics decks replacing the rubber one.

Well the arm works well with my cartridge coming from the same company and on the Technics I can't fault it, the sound is very precise compared to my previous deck NA Spacedeck using the same tonearm/cartridge and Tenuto combination, the Spacedeck was no slouch but the Technics seems to time better with more sparkle, my preference of course.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, JezR said:

1210GR.jpeg

That looks great Jez and as you say, the easy of swapping arms makes the GR or G much more attractive...  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RecordProd said:

That looks great Jez

Bet it sound good too !  Nice job Jez 👍

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Jez I have looked up your system and given the rest of it is seriously high end and it appears that you could have had any turntable that Sl1200 must be good. Very interesting.

If i had to give up my vintage 401, I would replace with a new Japanese built Technics.  Proper old school engineering brought upto date. 👍

• Like 3

On 22/10/2020 at 21:19, graham67 said:

Bet it sound good too !  Nice job Jez 👍

Ive heard it, and it does.

Jack NSM