mr neds

Something livelier than an Arcam A19??

There's a lovely Arcam A38 in the classified's. 9_9

Edited by Griff500

And I only live in Lewisham! I did see your amp, but does it have a phono stage? Also, I’m slightly wary of buying a power monster when I can’t make the most of it 🤔

Super Wammer

There was an AVI amp in the classifieds which are renown for excellent drive and efficiency and able to drive the 4ohm load with ease.  

Super Wammer

It’s sold.. didn’t think it would last long 

If you listen at low volume most of the time I think the cheap Yamaha I've seen on here or another forum with the variable loudness knob will do a surprisingly good job for peanuts.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, mr neds said:

And I only live in Lewisham! I did see your amp, but does it have a phono stage? Also, I’m slightly wary of buying a power monster when I can’t make the most of it 🤔

If you want to listen to my Leema I'm more than happy to bring it up. PM me if it tugs your rug.

FWIW I demoed the A19 and Elex-r in the same session and the Rega was far more lively to my ears. 

On 21/10/2020 at 19:34, mr neds said:

Very close! I'm not sure about a phono stage. I believe it was optional and I've no idea if it has it or not as it's not something I have used.

It's in fantastic condition, original box, etc.

On 21/10/2020 at 19:34, mr neds said:

I've checked and yes, it does have the optional phono stage fitted (top-right).

Back.thumb.jpg.c68ffb83a40fb1e75141190d7a8b581f.jpg

It's a fine amplifier, lovely condition, with the original box.

Edited by Griff500
  • Like 1

very very nice amp . punches well above its weight . nice remote . at some point i will be getting an a38 but my humble a85 doing well at moment . just got that balance of warmth and bite . jolly hard to get if you are on a budget . !!! 

shame they stopped making fmj stuff 

Edited by hifinutt
  • Like 1

I used to have an Arcam A19 and really liked it. Controlled, ordered sound, with great sound staging. But as the op says, it is rather laid back, slightly recessed in the mids think and lacks a bit of get up and go. Rega Elex-R or Elicit are definitely more lively in that sense. 

If you can stretch to it, the Arcam SA30 is fantastic in my opinion. 

Thanks for that, Dave, good to hear from an ex owner! It's the mids I'd like to open up a bit. Trouble is, when you're buying used, it's a bit of a stab in the dark. I've read many times that the Elex r would be a step in the right direction. I could buy the a38 in the classifieds, but fear it might be more of the same sound, plus I don't need the extra power. I listen to the A19 at around 24-26 at line level

Well worth trying the a38 , you can easily sell again if not for you