mr neds

Something livelier than an Arcam A19??

Are you saying that, Lawrence, from the top of your ginormous mountain of speakers............?
I'll have you know I've had a good clear out, just one main pair and a couple of spare pairs for each of my first and second systems

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, mr neds said:

Had a Mira 3, then got the A19. Would have thought the Io to be a step backwards?

I agree, but there is a sure way to check, demo each at home!

Not so easy if buying used, Shedsie! I flogged the Mira, but it took me a while and now the price of A19’s seems to have dropped. The Io isn’t really in the used market yet. Are you still in Lewisham, Pete? Billy Vee had an Elex r for £500 a few months back, but I dithered. As I’ve now retired my Concepts for Dynaudios, I need a bit of grunt, as well as liveliness. What do you like about the Io?

Super Wammer

I’ve owned a Mira3 and an Elex-r and they are chalk and cheese. The Elex-r is by far the amp of choice for this situation if you want Rega 

Another amp I would consider is something from the Naim 5 camp. Owned one of these too. The 5i has synergy with Dynaudio 

Hi Jon. Yes, I found the Mira 3 to be a bit underwhelming and have seen reviews of the Dyns that used an Elex r to good effect. I’ve never heard a Naim. I remember a friend of mine buying one after a multi amp audition, because it made Go West ( the band, not the song) sound the best- which shows how long ago that was!

• Like 1

Super Wammer
2 minutes ago, mr neds said:

Hi Jon. Yes, I found the Mira 3 to be a bit underwhelming and have seen reviews of the Dyns that used an Elex r to good effect. I’ve never heard a Naim. I remember a friend of mine buying one after a multi amp audition, because it made Go West ( the band, not the song) sound the best- which shows how long ago that was!

The Mira is too laid back. I added a Mira power and bi amped and the ‘then’ Audiovectors came to life but obviously the Dynaudios are single wire. The 5i or Xs on paper has a modest output but don’t be fooled. They have plenty of current delivery. If you can try one, give it a go. (Not the original 5, any after will have a 3.5 jack socket on the front) 

Not yet, Martin. Been waiting for some cartridge leads so I can try out the Pickering V 15 that Lurch has kindly loaned me for audition. They’ve arrived, so that’s installed for evaluation. The Audiolab scares me, in that if it turns out to be what I’m looking for, I’ll have been in a big circle, which is a bit deflating! The other issue is that it was sold to me by a mate in the trade, after a customer had got them to rewire it as a power amp, then changed his mind and got them to change it back, leaving a slight buzz on the turntable input. Shame, as it’s also had all the crumbly phono sockets replaced. I’m also tempted to put my Delta 290 back in, complete with dodgy input selector.................watch this space for more budget amp action!

• Like 1

I've got a naim 5i driving a pair of dynaudio excite x12's and think it sounds dynamic and good at low listening. I picked it up for £450 on ebay early this year. 

Billy vee also stock naim so you could take your speakers in once lockdown finishes for an audition, to see if you like the naim sound. They might have some ex demo naim. 

Hi Tomo. Another SE London boy! Indeed, they do often have used Naim, but at present, their cheapest is a supernait for just over a grand- bit out of my reach and and no phono stage 😞

I agree that the Rega and Naim should be on your shortlist. I used to own an Arcam A29/ Rega Brio-r and Naim system for a few years. The Arcam is on the warm side of neutral compare to Rega and Naim imo.

Edited by Iceman 16
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, mr neds said:

Hi Tomo. Another SE London boy! Indeed, they do often have used Naim, but at present, their cheapest is a supernait for just over a grand- bit out of my reach and and no phono stage 😞

Yep, Brockley based.

The 5i doesn't have a phonostage if you needed one. roksan k2 does but I think the sound of it is closer to the arcam. Agree to look at rega as well. 

Terrible deja vu! Just found my old thread on this from 4 years ago! No A19 in the equation then. I put my Delta 290 back in yesterday, admittedly now running Dynaudios instead of Ruarks and it sure sounded lively, BUT- kind of slightly congested and messy, compared to the A19 and not as much bass extension, at least on cd/ digital. I think I'll give it a few days, then reinstall the Audiolab, which I seem to have preferred last time round :/