Bigwig07

Adequate Ventilation for Hot Amp ?

Sorry Julian, I'd assumed the wood was a form of isolation for another piece of hifi equipment or I wouldn't have made my joke. I'm never going to understand vinyl!

5 hours ago, MartinC said:

I'm never going to understand vinyl other people's marriages. 

Ftfy. 

An eternal mystery. 

Mind you, I'm far from sure that I understand mine, either. 39 years today, my goodness. :o

Edited by JANDL100
  • Like 1

My XTZ integrated got pretty hot too, I ensured I had a good 10" between it and the next shelf up on the rack.

• Like 1

Yes heat rises so space above is good. However the air has to come from somewhere and the orientation of those heatsink fins says that the cool air wants to come from underneath (best) or from the side (good). Air won't happily come in from the front or the rear.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
20 hours ago, Bigwig07 said:

I'm running it into a Stirling LS3/5a V2, 11 ohms. Could it be a case of more resistance = more heat ?

Thanks for all the other opinions guys..

I think it’s actually the opposite.  Lower impedances will demand more from the amp, whereas higher ones will give it an easier ride.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nopiano said:

I think it’s actually the opposite.  Lower impedances will demand more from the amp, whereas higher ones will give it an easier ride.  

Thanks - thinking back to my O level Physics, V = IR, so if resistance increases then current goes down. But maybe the amp is working harder against a 11 ohm resistance or something ?

Super Wammer
11 minutes ago, Bigwig07 said:

Thanks - thinking back to my O level Physics, V = IR, so if resistance increases then current goes down. But maybe the amp is working harder against a 11 ohm resistance or something ?

Well yes, current goes down, so less effort.  High current is demanded by low impedances, which is harder work for the amp.  Think starting a cold car - very high current needed!

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Class A temperature drop slightly when seeing a load?

If it is the case then jam your gorgeous amp into a cupboard and play louder, a lot louder should cool it down nicely.

3 minutes ago, Strider said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Class A temperature drop slightly when seeing a load?

If it is the case then jam your gorgeous amp into a cupboard and play louder, a lot louder should cool it down nicely.

My amp (Class-A) is hot with or without load as long as it’s ON.

• Like 1

Class A is 'pedal to the metal' weither the volume is zero or full tilt - hence the constant heat dissipation 🔥

Edited by 2010*zuma

12 minutes ago, Strider said:

This is my understanding as well - current not being demanded by the speakers ends up as waste heat - higher impedance=less demand for current=hotter amplifier - how this plays out in practice, I have no idea: my class A power amp seems equally *ing hot whatever the speakers/volume

• Like 1

Speaker sensitivity plays a roll in how hard an amp 'works', independent of the impedance. A quick Google suggests the speakers in question have pretty low sensitivity and this is probably why the amp is working hard and getting hot.

Super Wammer

If you look at JA’s measurements of amplifiers in Stereophile, he runs them at one-third power to precondition prior to measurement.  He states that for class A/B this is where it is least efficient so runs hottest.  

Super Wammer

My Haflers are heavily biased to class A and they run hot - so I leave a large space over the top.  My SP9 is a hybrid pre with two EC88s and that runs warm (all the time as I only ever switch to standby as it takes about a minute to switch on if you switch it off) - it has been in a rack for the last 30 years with a 1.5 inch clearance from the shelf above (which does get slightly warm).

In order to keep the air flow optimum - leave a good gap between the top and another shelf an ideally have the sides clear by a good few inches to allow the air to flow in from all sides as the warm air rises and cooler air sucked in to replace it.  You can also buy laptop stands that have built in fans which might be something to consider siting under the amp to aid the flow of cool air.  Here is a pic of my rack showing amp clearance that I give  

IMG_20200530_244344750.jpg

Looking at the spec of the amp. First its got thermal protection so no need to worry about damage. Second its a pretty powerful amp, 320W into 2R so its going to run hot if its the normal Class A/B. If that size of heatsink is getting too hot to touch it must be running in a significant amount of Class A. Dont forget the o/p devices will be even hotter.

So I dont think its a good idea to run this amp in the kind of enclosure your suggesting unless you use cooling fans perhaps. Otherwise it will just get hotter and probably turn off.

Edited by zeta4