Phobic

Calling all lurkers

to all the lurkers out there.

there are some amazingly helpful and kind people on this forum who just love to share their knowledge & enthusiasm.

I'm very new here still but I've had some amazing help, a lot of fun, and some great banter. I've learnt a lot as well, it's great talking to people who share an interest in music!

come and say hello, get involved, ask questions.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

Some people (I included) are socially inept, also my first language is not English. 

I Often feel uncomfortable replying and prefer to lurk. 

Things can be learnt without asking questions. 

• Like 1

Super Wammer
6 hours ago, Phobic said:

to all the lurkers out there.

there are some amazingly helpful and kind people on this forum who just love to share their knowledge & enthusiasm.

I'm very new here still but I've had some amazing help, a lot of fun, and some great banter. I've learnt a lot as well, it's great talking to people who share an interest in music!

come and say hello, get involved, ask questions.

I see you’re  from Worksop... If you need any advice on setting things up, Mark from Vinyl  Passion  is just down the road from you at Meden Vale ... very knowledgeable guy and great to deal with .TTs ..Cables Amps .....has a keen ear for all things musical...

kindest regards Julian

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Viven said:

Some people (I included) are socially inept, also my first language is not English. 

I Often feel uncomfortable replying and prefer to lurk. 

most people on this forum who post are socially inept :)

You're English seems great, I wouldn't let a small language barrier stop you from joining in, there's plenty of people on here who don't have English as their 1st language.

7 hours ago, Viven said:

yes you're right, however it's quicker and easier to get clarity on something by asking a question that it is by having to wade through lots of posts that don't quite answer what you're looking for.

5 hours ago, bigrod said:

I see you’re  from Worksop... If you need any advice on setting things up, Mark from Vinyl  Passion  is just down the road from you at Meden Vale ... very knowledgeable guy and great to deal with .TTs ..Cables Amps .....has a keen ear for all things musical...

kindest regards Julian

Thanks Julian, I don't have a TT but I'll check him out.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, not to worry. English is not my first language either, and there's quite a few other fellas in the same situation. I don't recall ever being made to feel embarrassed by it.

I must have been a member of at least three fora, probably more, for the past ten years. The usual suspects; PFM, AOS etc. I somehow feel the most comfortable here.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Phobic said:

You were doing OK up to that point :)

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Gray said:

You were doing OK up to that point :)

He was just demonstrating his point 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

17 hours ago, Phobic said:

How dare you say that. :fight:

• Haha 2

Super Wammer

Okay I have to admit it English is not my first language I speak Scouse . Unless I slow down most of those who are not Scouse find it very difficult to understand what i am saying . This does not of course stop me from being a pompous idiot who thinks he knows the real secret to great music .

I would agree with the sentiment of the post , join in and get to know the people here , then when things are back to some kind of normality attend a Bake Off , or the Wam show and meet all of the idiots like me who keep posting .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Super Wammer
5 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

I, on the other hand, am very posh. I speak the Queen's Irish!

Complete hi jack of the thread I know but i have recently had one of those  DNA tests done and it said I was 41% Celtic , 40% Scandinavian ,16% Iberian , 3 % Italian , so I am very confused . Nice to think that I would qualify as a Viking though.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Phobic said:

You're English seems great, I wouldn't let a small language barrier stop you from joining in, there's plenty of people on here who don't have English as their 1st language.

yes you're right, however it's quicker and easier to get clarity on something by asking a question that it is by having to wade through lots of posts that don't quite answer what you're looking for.

Thanks Julian, I don't have a TT but I'll check him out.

Mark deals in much more then vinyl.  Bought stuff off him and he took time demonstrating, before I made a decision.  If he is still in the same place?  The listening area is quite big and I think in what used to be an old Coop store.  He also manufactures cables under the Missing Link brand.  Think he started his working life off as a metallugist?  Mind you, because he is associated with cables, it might be put some of you off buying from him!

7 minutes ago, bencat said:

Complete hi jack of the thread I know but i have recently had one of those  DNA tests done and it said I was 41% Celtic , 40% Scandinavian ,16% Iberian , 3 % Italian , so I am very confused . Nice to think that I would qualify as a Viking though.

With your HiFi maybe you have strayed from your genetic roots? May I suggest you sell the lot and buy:

Linn streamer.

Hegel Amp

Korma Speakers

Some cheap cables from EBAY ITM.

12 minutes ago, bencat said:

41% Celtic , 40% Scandinavian ,16% Iberian , 3 % Italian

= 100% Scouse .

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Guilty as charged!

With only 327 posts over a 15 year membership of the Wam, I could certainly be classified as a 'lurker!'

With over 45 years of this hobby under my belt, I know a lot, but certainly not everything and by reading more than I post, I have learned a lot from my fellow wammers!

I was a bit late to the concept of 'bake-offs' but I have attended a few and hosted a few (prior to lockdown) and met some good people in the process (Lurch, Wizmax, JulesS, Jessica, Brook, Bigfool1956, Baggawire and many others -You know who you are!).

I have enjoyed these gatherings immensely and look forward to a time when we can resume something resembling large group contact, in a social setting.

I am and will always be grateful to David (Bigfool1956) for introducing me to the music of Porcupine Tree and the incredibly talented Steven Wilson!

Just one thing ............ I am retired, but when I look at the post count of some Wammers (some of whom contribute across multiple forums) I just don't know where they find the time and manage to work, listen to music and engage in all the other activities that life throws at us!

Edited by Snoopdog
  • Like 4