Ceko

"Holographic" sounding speakers: Caveats?

Hi I've just got these amazing new speakers, the Klipsch Heresy IV. While certain songs sound simply amazing, 3D holographic, the speakers just disappear. Sometimes the music seems to miss something. It just sounds thin I guess? Don't get me wrong, the Heresy's have amazing bass in some electronic songs but when I play Bjork's Big Time Sensuality for example... it's just not "there"... can this have to do with speaker placement? Amp/speaker matching? Maybe I need more bass? Other speaker cables perhaps? I'm not sure. But I'm just a tiny bit, well, not exactly disappointed but I think I wanted more of a holy grail or something.

Edited by Ceko

I would imagine that the biggest disadvantage with truly holographic speakers is that it's very difficult to plug stuff into them, given that they don't actually exist...

;-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

18 minutes ago, Beobloke said:

I would imagine that the biggest disadvantage with truly holographic speakers is that it's very difficult to plug stuff into them, given that they don't actually exist...

;-)

I suppose if your cables sound really really good you don't need to plug them into anything... :whistle:

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

I suppose if your cables sound really really good you don't need to plug them into anything... :whistle:

... and if someone could invent for us the "straight wire with gain" we wouldn't be needing amplifiers 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, audio_PHIL_e said:

... and if someone could invent for us the "straight wire with gain" we wouldn't be needing amplifiers 

:^

If it was a weird question you can just delete this thread. No need to make fun of it...

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Ceko said:

If it was a weird question you can just delete this thread. No need to make fun of it...

I was just having a bit of a grin at the concepts of things that exist only as ideas. I wasn't trying to take the p1ss out of you, if anything I was hoping you'd laugh with me, instead of thinking I was laughing at you.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ceko said:

Hi I've just got these amazing new speakers, the Klipsch Heresy IV. While certain songs sound simply amazing, 3D holographic, the speakers just disappear. Sometimes the music seems to miss something. It just sounds thin I guess? Don't get me wrong, the Heresy's have amazing bass in some electronic songs but when I play Bjork's Big Time Sensuality for example... it's just not "there"... can this have to do with speaker placement? Amp/speaker matching? Maybe I need more bass? Other speaker cables perhaps? I'm not sure. But I'm just a tiny bit, well, not exactly disappointed but I think I wanted more of a holy grail or something.

The Heresy IV measurements seem to indicate a somewhat less bright balance than what's typical of their Heritage range.

Bass rolls-off quite steeply below 100Hz so you may wish to push them back against the wall and maybe even try placing them in the corners.

On the up-side they can play loud.

Edited by tuga
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, StingRay said:

What speakers did you have before?

Monitor Audio Silver 300

2 hours ago, Ceko said:

Maybe I need more bass?

You could try adding a sub or two, that would surely help.

Super Wammer
5 minutes ago, Ceko said:

I am sorry that you feel it is personal to you but they make fun of everyone on this forum . It is a genuine way of including people and making them feel at home . This is a very UK sort of humour and normal .

I would suggest that play a track that has issues for you and while it is playing try moving the speakers around until you can get the sound more suited to what you want to hear . Please though do remember that the trick of this real sound is dependant on the music being played and it may well be that your system is high lighting music that is not as well recorded as other tracks . All music is recorded , mastered and placed on CD / Vinyl etc differently . They should not all sound the same they should sound different even in some cases on the same album which can be recorded in different studios leading to different sounding recordings. You system may be very good at showing up these differences and so there may not be an easy way to solve this. Give the placement a try and see what happens.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, tuga said:

The Heresy IV measurements seem to indicate a somewhat less bright balance than what's typical in their Heritage range.

It rolls-off quite steeply below 100Hz so you may wish to push them back against the wall and maybe even try placing them in the corners.

On the up-side they can play loud.

Thanks I'll try that! I was used to keeping my speakers a fair distance off of the wall, maybe with the Heresys I need to do the opposite :)

They have 15inch drivers so bass should be enough. Yes positioning, room size/shape and amp. will all effect the bass/sound.

Maybe you need some room measurements and eq.?

Or maybe you need some time to adjust to the sound, also they may change as they are new,  with 10 hours running in you may hear some changes. Positioning can be key.

Edited by StingRay

This is the Silver 300, note the reflex tuning at around 40Hz and -3dB.

318MS300fig4.jpg

318MS300fig5.jpg

This is the Heresy IV, -10dB at 40Hz or half the volume level:

5u4FnSj.png