Ceko

"Holographic" sounding speakers: Caveats?

Thanks for all your answers guys. These Heresys are definitely something different than the Silver 300’s. The Heresys are clearly very good at some things whereas the Silvers play nice with almost everything. Much more forgiving I’d say. Heresy will let you know if something is badly recorded.

I have still have to learn how to read those speaker graphics by the way...

I have Heresy 3s. Same size and drivers as your 4s, I think, but not ported. I suspect adding the  port in this latest version was an attempt to get more bass from what was originally designed as a centre speaker (I believe). The 3s roll off quickly below 80hz and have a slight lift in the presence band that can make vocals a little thin.

I've found that my Heresys soak up warmth. They love my 8 watt 300b SET amp and my Ortofon SPU cartridge, and the NOS filter on my RME dac. Then they really fill out and have a beautiful combination of both ease and projection. Deep bass? No. But they time beautifully and the mid and upper bass notes have superb texture.

Flawed but addictive. I adore mine.

PS. You may find that toe-ing them in so that they cross in front of your listening position makes them a little more forgiving (but that may be room dependent, so do experiment). If you get them to 'click' then you may just fall in love for ever!

Edited by savvypaul
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Ceko said:

Thanks for all your answers guys. These Heresys are definitely something different than the Silver 300’s. The Heresys are clearly very good at some things whereas the Silvers play nice with almost everything. Much more forgiving I’d say. Heresy will let you know if something is badly recorded.

I have still have to learn how to read those speaker graphics by the way...

As a general rule "brighter" speakers are less forgiving.

Also a speaker which has less low frequency extension (bass doesn't go as low) tends to sound "brighter" or at least "lighter" in balance.

Edited by tuga

I've found that speakers with a narrow baffle or offset tweeters have better imaging/soundstage, edge diffraction can blur the projection of upper frequencies.

3 hours ago, Strider said:

I've found that speakers with a narrow baffle or offset tweeters have better imaging/soundstage, edge diffraction can blur the projection of upper frequencies.

Not a problem with the Heresy's horn midrange and tweeter

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1