Sign in to follow this  
notevenclose

Candidate Components for first Vinyl System

Friend of mine's son is looking to put together a first system as above. 

His old man has reasonably high spec Linn, a plethora of Naim boxes and LV Auditoriums, so that's what Junior's used to.

If it were me, I'd be thinking Rega Planar/P3 or thereabouts, Sugden a21 or A&R A60 and maybe a pair of JPWs, Heybrooks or basic AN-Ks, but that's my taste.

(Personally I've always thought the P25 was the prettiest Rega, but maybe not too many around?(

Open to suggestions, particularly on speakers, so what have we got? (There may be an unused pair of Saras knocking about, but probably not the easiest load for a budget amp. I notice there's a Majik 1and an Index in the classifieds, not amps I'm very familiar with, but which I'm guessing might be a bit optimistic into Saras).

System budget around a grand I guess, but I'm sure there'd be some flexibility if something really tempting popped up.

Alternative of course would be the new £1000 Rega system. Anybody heard that yet?

In any case, the game is afoot.

Super Wammer
6 hours ago, notevenclose said:

If it were me, I'd be thinking Rega Planar/P3 or thereabouts, Sugden a21 or A&R A60 and maybe a pair of JPWs, Heybrooks or basic AN-Ks, but that's my taste.

I'm with you on the first of these, can't comment on the speakers.

You haven't mentioned music taste. If it tends towards the more driven, my go-to brand might be ProAc: hifi enough to satisfy most folk but within enough oomph to satisfy the young man in question. I'd definitely be thinking more of floorstanders than standmounts.

Edited by TheFlash

Super Wammer

This package is great vfm and you'd be hard pressed to better it for the money. 

Super Wammer

Add this amp

And all you need is some speakers, to whit I have a pair of JPW Sonatas £45 shipped. You should be able to pick up some 60cm stands cheaply and complete the setup near as damn it to budget. 

IMG_20201015_093501.jpg

50 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Add this amp

And all you need is some speakers, to whit I have a pair of JPW Sonatas £45 shipped. You should be able to pick up some 60cm stands cheaply and complete the setup near as damn it to budget. 

IMG_20201015_093501.jpg

That looks like a winner. I'm only the messenger on this particular project, but will pass this on to my mate forthwith, cheers.

--
regards,

Miles

3 hours ago, TheFlash said:

I'm with you on the first of these, can't comment on the speakers.

You haven't mentioned music taste. If it tends towards the more driven, my go-to brand might be ProAc: hifi enough to satisfy most folk but within enough oomph to satisfy the young man in question. I'd definitely be thinking more of floorstanders than standmounts.

"Why do the Scots say 'gang agley,' Jeeves?"

"Alas sir, I have no information. They have not confided in me."

Sadly, in this instance, while Scottish, I too lack any such information. 

I think it will simply be a cause of offering up a few candidate items and awaiting a thumbs up/down according to a set of parameters/priorities with which you or I may not be entirely familiar.

Young people today, huh?

Edited by notevenclose
  • Haha 1